Hidden gas cap [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Hidden gas cap

67 Chevy II
19th-June-2006, 08:12 PM
Has anyone closed off the gas fill hole on a 62-67 nova and tried to install a camaro gas tank or a tank that has a fill neck in the center ? I would like to relocate the filler tube behind the licence plate. I will probably need to modify a small portion of the trunk and I can get a hinged licence plate bracket off a caprice or a dozen other cars. any pics or links would be great . Thanks for any info.:chev:

new2novas
19th-June-2006, 08:19 PM
i am currently trying to come up with a different idea for the gas cap myself...i thought about the license plate deal, but how are you going to run the fill tube to it...their gas tanks have the fill in the rear, now you could relocate yours and fab up a sprung bracket to flip down...i have a cool idea for the non trunk lid trunk area...i will have pics of this in the next few weeks

67 Chevy II
19th-June-2006, 08:48 PM
That's why I mentioned a camaro gas tank. first and second gen camaro's have the fill in the rear and they have a flip down plate. Not to sure how a camaro tank fits a 67 nova that's the problime.

IIslow
19th-June-2006, 09:01 PM
ive seen a photo where a guy made his tail light flip down kind of like a 57 chevy.

67 Chevy II
19th-June-2006, 09:03 PM
seen that I think it was a 66-67 wagon

IIslow
19th-June-2006, 10:09 PM
heres the link www.lownova.com and click on trick stuff.

72GreenRally
19th-June-2006, 10:21 PM
I would do the taillight thing. You could get into a lot of structural changes in the rear to get a rear-fill tank to fit and work well.

Besides that, a hard to find gas filler makes stolen gas much less likely.

Randy (a security feature also!!);)

LT1 CT
19th-June-2006, 11:02 PM
I plan on going with the tail light/filler neck option. I have seen several variations of this. Some power and Manuel. I will be using a custom fuel take so I will be fabing a filler neck behind the tail light.

Shane65
20th-June-2006, 12:27 AM
When I did the 65, I was going to use the left taillight as a fill point but didn't. The filler would have been in too far(IMO) and the angle for the fill tube low so the filling of the tank would have been slow. I opted to locate the filler just inside the trunk at the highest point to aid filling. I welded a flange with the filler cap attached to the area of the left taillight. I used straight tailpipe material that carried on through the trunk pan. A 90 degree tailpipe elbow was used next to connect to the tank. http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=17296365

yerny
20th-June-2006, 12:41 AM
When you get things operational on your tail-light gas filler, post some pics and part info. I'd like to do the same, so post what you used for the hinges etc.

Thanks,
Bryan

novanutcase
20th-June-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking of locating it on the top of the fender so that I won't have slowfill issues. The only thing that I have to figure out is where on the fender so that I still have enough room to stick the filler all the way in the hole!

67pete
20th-June-2006, 09:58 AM
I used a fill door assembly from a '97 Ford Ranger in place of the stock one, same curve......just cut and weld.

new2novas
20th-June-2006, 11:12 PM
shane that idea had crossed my mind but the biggest issue i had was with fuel vapors being inside the vehicle, what was your experience with that...

Shane65
21st-June-2006, 12:12 AM
Never had any fumes in the trunk. We would have noticed it with clothes and towels etc....... that would be in the trunk on our trips or when the trunk was opened after sitting in the garage for a while. My wife's nose would have surely picked up on the smell. I made a vent line out of brake line that goes down through the floor(it's in the picture). The system works the same as any factory system.

-DouG-
21st-June-2006, 08:09 AM
Shane, what is the purpose of the brace with the rod ends? is that to keep stuff away from the fuel filler?

thanks

Shane65
21st-June-2006, 08:31 AM
I put one on each side. I mde a four link and with the torque of the engine, 40 year old sheet metal frame, decided to give it some stif**ess. Before the bars were in, if two people sat at the rear bumper while the car was on jack stands(that were placed roughly where the front leaf spring is located) the quarter panel would flex.