Line lock? How do you use it? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Line lock? How do you use it?

The Big Al
24th-February-2012, 11:14 AM
Question.

I am just curious to why some believe this?

Now, first let me lay down some varilbles.

THIS IS NOT!! NOT A STICK SHIFT CAR!!!!

This car is a automatic, (not trans brake, not that it matters)

Guy will be racing foot brake.

This person believes they need a rev limiter for the line lock. IE: like a 2 step.
They already have a rev limiter in the ignition box.

This person thinks they will stage with line lock.

================================================== ====

Only time I have ever used a line lock for drag racing is when I had a 5 speed. In my Camaro class racing days.

I want to prove a point.

Al

levisnteeshirt
24th-February-2012, 11:17 AM
your friend is a confused individual ,,, gotta wonder who or what source he has been getting his info from

sbc1320
24th-February-2012, 11:18 AM
I agree for a standard car. I used to footbrake my old 71 and will do the 72 when I get the funds for the rear build up. Don't see no need for a transbrake myself.

patman
24th-February-2012, 11:22 AM
I tried to do the 'launch off the linelock' thing with an automatic, but even with my anemic 350 the front tires couldn't hold the car, and it just pushed through the beams.

It would work if you had a linelock on both front and rear circuits, but last I checked, that wouldn't pass tech.

So...it's good for doing burnouts without cooking the rear brakes, but other than that, it's a waste. I took mine out when I put in my CPP disc setup.

Pandora's Box
24th-February-2012, 11:23 AM
I use it just so I don't put any excessive heat on the rear brakes while doing my burnout.

Although I've heard some guys use it to stage as well. :bored: :confused: :confused: :turn:

taz3
24th-February-2012, 11:45 AM
I use it just so I don't put any excessive heat on the rear brakes while doing my burnout.

Although I've heard some guys use it to stage as well. :bored: :confused: :confused: :turn:

I've done the same ^^. The other thing I've done with an automatic car, was back the rear shoes off a tad extra, then put the parking brake down about 3 clicks, when ready to go to help keep the pedal up higher under braking.

levisnteeshirt
24th-February-2012, 11:52 AM
i knew a man that used a line lock to hold a stick car in the lights ,, and he would forget sometimes to let go of the button after he left ,, i kept wondering why i'd see smoke come off the front tires when they'd come back down ,,lol,,, so ,, ya gotta be careful with one

sunny929
24th-February-2012, 12:28 PM
doesnt make sense to me, mine would push across the line:confused:

bowtie0069
24th-February-2012, 01:34 PM
I've heard of people using it for staging too, but it seems kinda stupid to me.
It doesn't take much power to push the car through the beams; if it was a stick car yes, but not an automatic. I know a guy with a hand brake on all 4 for staging, but that seems kinda odd to me too.

1quik69
24th-February-2012, 02:13 PM
I've only used them for doing the burnout/warming the tires. At the line I'm on the footbrake only.

Little Red Wagon!
24th-February-2012, 02:18 PM
I've only used them for doing the burnout/warming the tires.

Same here, except once I was at the line I flip a toggle switch and now the same button I used for the line Lock is now powering my Trans brake.:yes:

ChrisL66
24th-February-2012, 03:46 PM
When I bought my car it was set up with line locks on front and rear for this purpose (actually it still is as I haven't fixed that yet). I have no idea if it works or not as it's going away when my Coan transbraked TH350 arrives :D

I can't imagine that it works well though. My car will push through the brakes at about 2000 rpm :D

Chris.

Real McCoy
24th-February-2012, 04:01 PM
It is a line loc solenoid, blocks off a line when energized, and was origionally used to control car roll with stick shift cars on the front brakes. I knew people who used a manual valve when water burn outs first started and they were not able to afford a solenoid. Nobody heated tires in a water box with the early recapped slicks. It could be used with a hydraulic clutch to dumb the clutch with released. Some people use it to hold the car solid in the lights even with a transbrake, they feel it stops any rock or movement. I think my delay box even has a terminal just for the line loc release. If you use a low enough clip in the RPM limiter you could use it as a stand alone staging aid. Point being you can use it anyway you want within the rules.

Lugnut79
24th-February-2012, 04:15 PM
I've seen people use line lock with a 2 step to "heat the tires consistantly" from pass to pass during a burnout. Then the pill in the MSD box takes over as the rpm limit once they start the run. I myself use linelock for my burnout (no limiter though) then stage with the transbrake which is hooked to the 2 step 200 rpm below my stall and I can adjust my launch rpm 100 rpm at a time. Once the transbrake is released the 7000 rpm pill in my 6al takes over.

65 Post
24th-February-2012, 04:22 PM
This person believes they need a rev limiter for the line lock. IE: like a 2 step.

The only reason I think he needs a limiter would be in the water like a three step. Some Stock elim cars used a two step on the footbrake to launch without a transbrake, but to use it on the starting line footin it is a waste. Back in the early delay box days, they would run dual line locks hooked to a box without a brake. And launch with a button. dave

redlt499
24th-February-2012, 07:33 PM
I've seen it used as a "Poor mans Transbrake" by using it on the front and back brakes. A toogle switch to cut the power to the rear while doing a burn out, then flip the toggle to activate the rear, then stage and leave on the button. This was a few years back and some of the tracks banded it around here ,really dont know if it helped but some swore by it.

DAS1998
24th-February-2012, 07:36 PM
It would keep from burning up the rear brakes during a burn out. That is all i can think off.

Ryan V64SS
24th-February-2012, 08:05 PM
If you locked the rear brakes with the line lock and set the launch limiter to say 3K you could easily hold the car from moving. Using a finger to launch the car is more consistent than releasing the brake pedal IMO.

I see how it might work in a footbrake class where cionsistency is needed but its kinda cheating if your in a "foot brake" class IMO

The Big Al
24th-February-2012, 09:39 PM
I see how it might work in a footbrake class where cionsistency is needed but its kinda cheating if your in a "foot brake" class IMO

It is illegal.

Al

DERYL ATANASU
24th-February-2012, 11:09 PM
My stick shift car, use it only for burnouts. Plumbed backwards so when energized, pedal pressure applies front brakes only. When tires are at temp I ease off the pedal and roll-out.

davidr5610
25th-February-2012, 03:08 AM
I am footbrake all the way.

I have a line lock in my VW Bug race car (stick), but I only use it for burnouts. On the line I pull the parking brake and release the clutch slightly to preload the trans/axles, rev it to 5000, and dump the clutch/release the brake to launch. The car will push through if I hold the line lock and try to preload the tranny.

Like others have said, the only purpose of having one in an auto car would be for the burnout.

bracketchev1221
25th-February-2012, 07:33 AM
I use mine in conjunction with the trans brake. My delay box has an output that will energize it. The reason is, it keeps the driveline loaded slightly before the trans brake hits so you cut down on the slamming impact of the parts. Plus my car has been more consistent.

65 Post
25th-February-2012, 08:07 AM
My stick shift car, use it only for burnouts. Plumbed backwards so when energized, pedal pressure applies front brakes only. When tires are at temp I ease off the pedal and roll-out.

Please explain how it's plumbed backwards. If it's installed how it's intended, that's how it works. In the front brakes only for doing burnouts. Dave

DERYL ATANASU
25th-February-2012, 09:50 AM
Normally you would pull through the water box, apply brakes, trigger line-lock, release brake pedal. Front brakes will be locked. I pull through the water box, without brakes applied, trigger line-lock, rev to 6,000, dump clutch. With line-lock still triggered, after dumping the clutch, left foot goes guickly to apply pressure on brake pedal, since line-lock is plumbed backward, front brakes only will be applied, holding the car. Once tires are hot enough, slowly release brake pedal and accelerator, to roll towards the line.

johnh
25th-February-2012, 10:10 AM
I have disconnected the Line Lock every time.... I prefer not to use them

To each there own....

Pandora's Box
25th-February-2012, 10:43 AM

Normally you would pull through the water box, apply brakes, trigger line-lock, release brake pedal. Front brakes will be locked. I pull through the water box, without brakes applied, trigger line-lock, rev to 6,000, dump clutch. With line-lock still triggered, after dumping the clutch, left foot goes guickly to apply pressure on brake pedal, since line-lock is plumbed backward, front brakes only will be applied, holding the car. Once tires are hot enough, slowly release brake pedal and accelerator, to roll towards the line.

:confused: :turn: :confused: :turn: :confused:

Lugnut79
25th-February-2012, 10:45 AM

I'm kind of confused too. You're saying once you dump the clutch with the linelock on you have to quickly move your foot to the brake pedal? If the line lock is on then it will hold the car without having to press the brake pedal. I don't think you have it plumbed backward you are just arming it without pressing the brake pedal, then starting your burnout then stepping on the brakes. If that's the case you are still applying the rear brakes as well. Line lock should be, step on brakes, arm the system, let off brakes which releases rear brakes and keeps front applied then start your burnout, get tires to temp, disarm system either by button or toggle and roll out of waterbox.

DERYL ATANASU
25th-February-2012, 11:09 AM
MY BAD! I forgot to mention, my line-lock is installed in rear brake line.

Lugnut79
25th-February-2012, 11:16 AM
Your Nova is front wheel drive?:doh:

Ryan V64SS
25th-February-2012, 11:19 AM
I have mine plumbed like daryl too. There is no correct way to do it... Its not backward IMO just piped a different way. When it in the rear line and energized, brake pressure cannot go to the rear tires. This is so you can modulate the front brakes and slowly roll out of the burnout instead of completely releasing the brakes.

This also works GREAT for 300 foot burnouts without powerbraking the car and ruining the rear brakes!!!

Lugnut79
25th-February-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks Ryan that makes sense. Sorry Deryl, your verbage was throwing me for a loop.

DERYL ATANASU
25th-February-2012, 11:23 AM
Thank you Ryan!

patman
25th-February-2012, 12:48 PM
If I remember, the rules say you can have it installed on 2 wheels...but it doesn't say which two, or how it needs to be hooked up. To each his own...

65 Post
26th-February-2012, 07:45 AM

Why wouldn't you just put it in the front and use it like it was intended, instead of swapping feet? Having it in the rear brakeline so the rear brakes DON'T work is an accident waiting to happen. If you need to stop the car in a hurry and don't release the button, you'll only be able to stop with the front brakes. My .02. your way is too confusing. All your doing is footbraking with a linelock in a way. What do you do when you stage the car? the linelock was designed to hold the car when using a clutch so it wouldn't roll. Dave

DERYL ATANASU
26th-February-2012, 10:03 AM
Tires will take a SET, when launching they take a forward SET, while under braking, they take a rearward SET. It's all about the time it takes for the rear tires to change this directional SET during launch to help lower your 60ft. times. I know it's a very small amount of time, but it's the same as (if you can't find 100lbs. to remove from your car, find 100 things that weigh 1lb.). My goal is to get into the 11's with my N/A , daily driver with full interior and A/C, while still passing California smog test. As far as staging, toe to the floor, engine on 2 stage and heal lightly on brake.

72novaproject
27th-February-2012, 09:12 AM
It is illegal.

Al

Al, can you explain further why this is an illegal set up?

Thanks

Steve

The Big Al
27th-February-2012, 10:01 AM
Al, can you explain further why this is an illegal set up?

Thanks

Steve

In all class's except what is called Pro or Top.

A ignition interrupter device IE: 2 step is illegal.
Footbrake, street , bracket 2 NOT ALLOWED!

It's in the rule book.

Al

72novaproject
27th-February-2012, 10:40 AM
In all class's except what is called Pro or Top.

A ignition interrupter device IE: 2 step is illegal.
Footbrake, street , bracket 2 NOT ALLOWED!

It's in the rule book.

Al

I should have been clearer Al. I was referring to the rear line lock. I have been toying with the idea of using a front and rear line lock to hold the car and launch with the button. No trans brake on my car. As mentioned above, with a toggle switch, I could use the front line lock for the burn out and engage both front and rear for staging. I am a little afraid to use any sort of rev limiter with nitrous so I donít intend to use any kind of ignition interrupter. It seems like a misfire with nitrous could be a very bad thing. I have the rule book and want to be legal. Is the information in the General Regulations under Brakes?

Thanks for the help. I am new to all of this.

Steve

Ryan V64SS
27th-February-2012, 11:32 AM
I should have been clearer Al. I was referring to the rear line lock. I have been toying with the idea of using a front and rear line lock to hold the car and launch with the button. No trans brake on my car. As mentioned above, with a toggle switch, I could use the front line lock for the burn out and engage both front and rear for staging. I am a little afraid to use any sort of rev limiter with nitrous so I don’t intend to use any kind of ignition interrupter. It seems like a misfire with nitrous could be a very bad thing. I have the rule book and want to be legal. Is the information in the General Regulations under Brakes?

Thanks for the help. I am new to all of this.

Steve

Although not directed at me I can explain:

If your in a "footbrake" class the only way you should be launching is off the footbrake, not off a button and rev limiter. It is making your car more consistent by using electronics, and the whole idea is to use you foot and driver skill to launch the car.

IMO thats why it should be illegal in a footbrake class.

Rbace123
28th-February-2012, 11:06 AM
Everywhere I race I believe Line lock and 2 step is legal in the footbrake class on a stick car !!!!

Ashman101
28th-February-2012, 12:24 PM
I think some people install line lock for the "cool" factor.

I also personally don't see the point of using it.
The water box is like ice anyway, no problems doing a burnout no problem.

Little Red Wagon!
28th-February-2012, 03:40 PM
I think some people install line lock for the "cool" factor.

I also personally don't see the point of using it.
The water box is like ice anyway, no problems doing a burnout no problem.

Yea but with slicks, it does not take very long before they start to get traction. The line lock is there so that the car don't move and that you can get the tires up to nice temp. And just holding the brake pedal does not always work. Especially on your higher horse power motors. The car usally just pushes the front tires down the track.

David_D.
28th-February-2012, 03:59 PM
My brother and I used to use the "poor man's trans brake" method of front and rear line locks. It was/is legal here in division six in Pro bracket. It worked pretty well, but after switching to a trans brake a couple of years ago, I find the trans brake more consistent and it releases more quickly.

Gregs72
28th-February-2012, 10:10 PM
I have a line lock installed on my car.

For burnout purposes only.

I do have a friend that has a 4 wheel line lock on his chevy II and uses it like a transbreak through his delaybox with a 2 step

Stan D.
1st-March-2012, 06:56 PM
To add to my brother's post there is also a problem using a line loc to launch the car with disc front brakes. Because the line loc has a solenoid that holds pressure and there is nothing to force the fluid to overcome the solenoid, there is a delay in the release of the front brakes. Doesn't matter if it is aftermarket disc's or stock you willl have the same problem. A person can put springs in the calipers to force them apart but that makes a spongy pedal when braking.

I had races that I was skidding the front tires for 60+ feet before the brakes would release. If you have drum brakes there is no issue as you have the springs to force the shoes back.