Remove rust coolant channels engine block? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Remove rust coolant channels engine block?

Metica
11th-November-2011, 03:45 AM
Hello!

Which is the best and/or easiest way to remove rust from an engine blocks coolant channels? If possible, I don't want to use any fluids/acid. Have you tried any other options? Any idea is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

/Peter

gary427
11th-November-2011, 08:11 AM
Is your motor in the car or are you asking when the block is bare on a rebuild. Gary

Metica
11th-November-2011, 08:25 AM
Is your motor in the car or are you asking when the block is bare on a rebuild. Gary

It's the bare block stripped from everything but oil and freeze plugs (new ones inserted by the previous owner, don't ask why since he didn't get rid of the rust inside).

Ashman101
11th-November-2011, 11:00 AM
Is there not any machine shops near you?
I would have a shop hot tank it to clean it all out.

bracketchev1221
11th-November-2011, 01:44 PM
A tank washing with the plugs out is the only way to get MOST of it out. Around here the hot tank has the gone the way of the hot water pressure wash. If there is that much rust in it, like maybe it was a salt water boat engine, it will never all come out and it will just clog ports. I had a 454 block like that and the best thing to do was send it back to a boat.

Metica
11th-November-2011, 03:00 PM
Is there not any machine shops near you?
I would have a shop hot tank it to clean it all out.

Plenty of machine shops around, BUT...

1) My budget is exceeded by far! Jee... It ended up in a new radiator and rear axle as well. You know the drill. ;-)

2) I've heard almost only bad things about them hot tanks. Doesn't do the job as good as back in the days, 'cause of environmental regulations. :-(

Metica
11th-November-2011, 03:08 PM
A tank washing with the plugs out is the only way to get MOST of it out. Around here the hot tank has the gone the way of the hot water pressure wash. If there is that much rust in it, like maybe it was a salt water boat engine, it will never all come out and it will just clog ports. I had a 454 block like that and the best thing to do was send it back to a boat.

There's rust, but it seems to be concentratet around the water pump in- and outlet. The rest looks ok, but it's hard to be 100 % sure about the situation...
And I don't wan't the rust flakes to end up in my new not-that-cheap radiator. :-(

JBimmolate
11th-November-2011, 08:22 PM
I'd start with pulling all the freeze/oil plugs and pressure wash the heck out of it inside (heated pressure washer if available). Then take it to a machine shop and have it tanked, when you get it back give it another blasting with the pressure washer. About the only way I know to get the majority out.

Miles

Metica
12th-November-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd start with pulling all the freeze/oil plugs and pressure wash the heck out of it inside (heated pressure washer if available). Then take it to a machine shop and have it tanked, when you get it back give it another blasting with the pressure washer. About the only way I know to get the majority out.

Miles

Aha. Thanks.

Quite a few have recommended citric acid for rust removal. That it should be a good solution? Anyone tried that?

gary427
12th-November-2011, 01:00 AM
It is bare case iron in there and will look rusty when air hits it anyway. you want to be more concerned with mud in the block and heavy scale in and around the cylinders. Pull the freeze plugs out and take a look. Most of the hot tanks today are environmentally safe so it would be in your best to have it done and have the oil galleys chase with brushes if this motor has been abused. Gary

the FLYER
12th-November-2011, 01:14 AM
there's no way you'll remove all the rust inside the block... not that would be cost effective nor is there really a need for it. the hot tank won't dissolve scale as i know it. it'll definitely remove all grease and oil. remove all the plugs and and make sure no one pushed any plugs inside the water jackets. if there are any fish them out with a screwdriver. once block is all apart you can use a high pressure hose and insert it into each freeze plug hole and blast out any rust/scale that's loose. that's all a hot tank will do to my knowledge.

once engine is done and you're going to assemble it? you'll be assembly cleaning anyways so have it hot tanked and then whatever else you need to get done.

no real need to descale completely, just get out all the loose stuff and you'll be ok. ;)

just my two pennies ;)

Metica
12th-November-2011, 01:41 AM
The engine block is already very clean on the outside, and the oil channels and the rest is free from grease and dirt. It's freshly painted, bored and treated with 400 grit stones. My only concern is the rust and scale left in the coolant channels.

It also has new freeze plugs installed, but it seems like the previous owner did not pay any attention to coolant channels, so it's a good idea to remove them, inspect the inside of the block besides the water jackets and install new ones (freeze plug are a bargain anyway).

Thanks for all your advices! This forum is for sure a helping hand!

the FLYER
12th-November-2011, 02:45 AM
well i'd go ahead and remove all the freeze plugs. it's not that much money to replace them. if you're really concerned about rust & scale inside the water jackets the best way to get it out would be by removing them. the engine will need to be wiped down immediately to prevent any rusting in cylinders etc... you can oil them down and then wash block, wipe out and re-oil, lube, disperse/remove water. you don't want any cleaning chemicals in the cylinders. the block's machined surfaces all need to be free of any water or they''ll start to powder rust.

use a bore brush in the steam holes, bigger brushes in water jackets on deck of block. scrub inside freeze plug holes as much as possible and use high pressure water to blast everything out. you'll be making a tremendous mess so be prepared and then be very quick to blow block dry and re lube for prior assembly duties.

i hope i've helped,

JR

Metica
12th-November-2011, 02:55 AM
i hope i've helped,

JR

You did JR, you sure did. Thanks a bunch!

sbc1320
12th-November-2011, 05:20 AM
Any rust buildup and muck will be in the bottom of the block. Like said you will need to remove the freeze plugs. I have reached in the freeze plugs on the side of the engine with a piece of wire and scratched and removed the rust. Take it to the car wash and wash it thru the freeze plug holes and the deck holes. Blow it out with air and build it. If it has the bigger holes in the deck, stand the block up on one end and stick the pressure washer or car wash gun in the holes all the way and wash away.

jbon64
12th-November-2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557996&highlight=molasses

check this out. i remember seeing another thread on the HAMB where a guy used this same process on a engine block

jbon64
12th-November-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408074&highlight=molasses

found the one i was thinking of.

Tom Griffin
12th-November-2011, 06:27 PM
WOW, I never have heard about the molasses treatment. Might have to try that on a couple of things.:D
Tom

ChevyII MD
12th-November-2011, 06:36 PM
What can I do...
I have finished everything but waiting for the final install into the engine bay.
Fired it up a couple of months ago, broke it in, but used only straight distilled water.
Now that it's put of the bay and I'm finishing up the engine bay I see a light coating of
rust in the aluminum radiator and the other coolant lines...

I didn't put the water wetter in at that time because I knew I was going to throw that coolant out...
or any anti-freeze...

Anything to worry about?

Not trying to hi-jack the thread for my prblem but it fits into the same thing...

Mark

65novaken
12th-November-2011, 06:49 PM
What can I do...
I have finished everything but waiting for the final install into the engine bay.
Fired it up a couple of months ago, broke it in, but used only straight distilled water.
Now that it's put of the bay and I'm finishing up the engine bay I see a light coating of
rust in the aluminum radiator and the other coolant lines...

I didn't put the water wetter in at that time because I knew I was going to throw that coolant out...
or any anti-freeze...

Anything to worry about?

Not trying to hi-jack the thread for my prblem but it fits into the same thing...

Mark
i woul drain and refil with antifreeze mixture

wideopen1967
12th-November-2011, 08:49 PM
Seal up all of the passages with tape pour this in the block,

http://www.shopclr.com/index.php?page=Product.Product&externalId=1443

preferablly on an engine stand, rotate the block to coat everything, then drain. Spray with WD40 afterwards.

gary427
13th-November-2011, 09:07 AM
You did JR, you sure did. Thanks a bunch!

As JR said, cast blocks pick up rust fast so even a can of W.D40 and a light coat on none painted areas will be a good thing. Gary

ChevyII MD
13th-November-2011, 10:56 AM
i woul drain and refil with antifreeze mixture

Thanks! it's drained right now, when it come time to stick it back in I'll do just that.

Thanks

Mark