Which spacer should I use open or 4 hole [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Which spacer should I use open or 4 hole

Madmoose
8th-July-2011, 11:21 PM
I have a 383 chevy, 6" rods flat top piston, lunati solid roller cam # 60131, 1.5 rockers, afr 210 heads, edelbrock rpm airgap intake, pro systems 825 cfm holley, 1 3/4" headers with 3" exhaust with a dr gas x pipe.........which spacer does a guy use and why?

Pandora's Box
8th-July-2011, 11:57 PM
I use a Wilson Manifolds 2" Tapered spacer.

Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WSN-004150/

This was the best of several on the dyno and was good for a proven 30 additional horse on my Oddy engine.

wht73
9th-July-2011, 10:31 PM
Every engine is different...but my engine like the open on both the single and the Air Gap.

Check this vid out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2DvnoHWagk

sbc1320
9th-July-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a 383 chevy, 6" rods flat top piston, lunati solid roller cam # 60131, 1.5 rockers, afr 210 heads, edelbrock rpm airgap intake, pro systems 825 cfm holley, 1 3/4" headers with 3" exhaust with a dr gas x pipe.........which spacer does a guy use and why?

Without dynoing your combo, I would say to try both a 1" open and the 4 hole tapered spacer at the track on a back to back run. I have a 1" wooden open spacer and an Edelbrock RPM dual plane intake for my 383 build. My last 406 I ran a 4 hole 1" tapered spacer on top of the 1" wooden open hole spacer. Never tried it with one then the other like I should have so I can't really say. Every combo is different.

Madmoose
10th-July-2011, 01:36 AM
I've also got a set of 1.6 rockers to try.........I think the heads could use the extra lift on the cnc ported heads

Lugnut79
10th-July-2011, 02:55 PM
I think the 4 hole usually gives you more low end torque while the open is for higher RPM's. Like other have said, try both to see which your combo likes.

levisnteeshirt
10th-July-2011, 03:59 PM
i've ran a 4 hole on top of an open ,,, stacked ,, it seemed more responsive ,, never did any back to back testing though

chevguy65
11th-July-2011, 10:53 AM
I think the 4 hole usually gives you more low end torque while the open is for higher RPM's. Like other have said, try both to see which your combo likes.

Exactly and I think this is what the op was asking.

The 4 hole will give more tq down low and open will give more hp in high rpm's.
Tapered is more advanced than the old style.

Pandora's Box
11th-July-2011, 11:26 AM
Keep in mind that a carb spacer isn't a "magic bullet". :no:

Like everything else on your build, a spacer has to match what you have in order for it to work as it should. :yes:

If you are just throwing "catalogue parts" together then going with a 1" open Birchwood spacer from AED will work wonders. The 1/2" open spacer was good for 6 horse on my Oddy engine. Also the AED spacer made out of Birchwood will not distort or transfer heat like an aluminum or plastic spacer will.

Here is a link to AED: http://www.aedperformance.com/Accessories.htm

Novaman1973
11th-July-2011, 12:36 PM
Pandora the AED spacer seems a little expensive compared to other wood spacers. What makes AED better than the others.

Pandora's Box
11th-July-2011, 01:05 PM
Pandora the AED spacer seems a little expensive compared to other wood spacers. What makes AED better than the others.

$40.00 (IMO) seems cheap for all the benefits. The AED piece is very well designed and is actually made out of Birchwood which is a high quality wood that holds up extremely well to extreme conditions.

bowtie0069
11th-July-2011, 01:10 PM
Several years ago I made one of layers of plywood coated with Glyptal--never saw much. I just added a tapered 2", and it seems crisper, but the track was so bad Thursday I couldn't tell if it made a difference. Or maybe it was all the extra power that caused the lack of traction!:eek:

wht73
11th-July-2011, 05:30 PM
I bought a Wison 1.5" tapered spacer and when I called them about jetting they said it wasn't really designed for a DP intake...but I could use it and to round off the divider wall that was milled down to prevent fuel shear.

That said, It does work but the open works better. At least on the DP.

It whistles too at different parts of the throttle.

HockleySS
12th-July-2011, 08:06 AM
I use an AED 1" open wood spacer and it is a nice piece. No more heat soak on hot days.

650 AED dp carb/Wieand Stealth intake and they work well together. Never tried the tapered spacer so no comparisons...

Madmoose
12th-July-2011, 10:06 AM
It seems that no 2 engines are alike lol........I did put the 1.6 roller rockers on Sunday........I will see later this week if it likes it or not......Pandora how is your pro systems carb doing? I will play around with the spacers.....with my car being so heavy I thought that a tapered 4 hole might help it ......thanks for all the info and suggestions :yes:

bracketchev1221
12th-July-2011, 12:02 PM
Keep in mind that a carb spacer isn't a "magic bullet". :no:

Yes they are. It hits you right in the wallet and it keeps draining.

I run a Wilson 1" tapered 4 hole on my 540. I think it works better on mine compared to a straight open. Not by much, but just a little mph. But again, it's rare to see a drastic change from a spacer.

Pandora's Box
12th-July-2011, 05:31 PM
Yes they are. It hits you right in the wallet and it keeps draining.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: That's funny right there! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I run a Wilson 1" tapered 4 hole on my 540. I think it works better on mine compared to a straight open. Not by much, but just a little mph. But again, it's rare to see a drastic change from a spacer.

Oh I don't know about that. Oddy's did several dyno pulls on my engine with different spacers. Before they built my engine they had already told me that the Wilson Manifold 2" 4 hole taper spacer was going to give the best results, and it did. The 1/2" AED Birchwood open spacer got between 7 and 9 horse on the dyno, which is good. But the Wilson Manifolds 2" 4 hole taper spacer was good for 30 horse on the dyno.

It seems that no 2 engines are alike lol........I did put the 1.6 roller rockers on Sunday........I will see later this week if it likes it or not......Pandora how is your pro systems carb doing? I will play around with the spacers.....with my car being so heavy I thought that a tapered 4 hole might help it ......thanks for all the info and suggestions :yes:

I'm holding off for now on commenting on the Pro Systems carb till I get everything sorted out. But so far I'm liking it. After some issues with the cars linkage and tires, so far I picked up 3-1/2 to 4 tenths and I feel like there could be much more in it.