700R4 shifts too fast from 1st to 2nd gear [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: 700R4 shifts too fast from 1st to 2nd gear

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 02:10 PM
I am barely out of the driveway and I'm already in second gear. A buddy of mine said that I just need a lighter spring in the governor on the side of the transmission. Does that sound right?

I can only take time off work to bring the car to the tranny shop next week so the most important question is: if I drive the car "as is" for a week, will this cause some damage to the engine/transmission? Or should I take it easy until this gets looked at?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

the FLYER
24th-May-2011, 02:19 PM
IF it's a TV cable adjustment that needs to be made, check here. http://www.tvmadeez.com/

browse the site for lots of additional information ;)

steelrat
24th-May-2011, 02:36 PM
Cable adjustment may be it but sound like something else. Is it shifting real hard as well? 1st gear in the 700R4 is 3.06 ratio. Does not take long to wind that baby out before you have to grab 2nd.:devil: Do you have a long driveway lol...:D

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks Johnny!

So according to the site, I might have Short Spring Syndrome, I guess (this is like WebMD but for transmissions, ha ha, scary...).

I'll take it easy until I get it looked at.

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 02:41 PM
Cable adjustment may be it but sound like something else. Is it shifting real hard as well? 1st gear in the 700R4 is 3.06 ratio. Does not take long to wind that baby out before you have to grab 2nd.:devil: Do you have a long driveway lol...:D

The shifting is not hard, just too fast. And I WISH I had a longer driveway, ha ha.

Like I said, I'll take it easy this week and get it looked at next week.

tony
24th-May-2011, 03:12 PM
TV adjustment: http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/tvcable.htm

Also check vacume modulator hose/line for any cracks and/or leaks......:yes:

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 03:27 PM

Cool! Thanks, Tony!

Ashman101
24th-May-2011, 03:51 PM
What rear gear do you have?

My TH350 shift thru all 3 gears before I get thru the intersection at a stop sign. Unless I shift it manually.
I have advanced the regulator as far as it will go, with not much change.
I assume its mostly due to the 4.56 rear gear in the diff.

I have not had any issues with the tranny in the past 5 years with it like this, unless your motor starts to ping due to the excess load on the motor.

My motor makes gobs of torque, so I could drive in 3rd all the time if needed.

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 03:55 PM
3.42 gears so I assume that's not it. Thanks

Pragmatist
24th-May-2011, 09:33 PM
Once you have the TV cable adjusted properly if it still shifts early you may want to look at changing the springs in the governor. Summit sells a kit with a variety of springs to tailor shifts to your liking.

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone! The tranny is still under warranty since I got it rebuilt last summer so I won't touch anything so not to void the warranty. It's good to know all these things, though, I am learning!

We have a cruise night tomorrow (and of course I want to show off my new goodies :rolleyes:) so essentially, I wanted to know if it's ok to drive the car with this issue without causing any problems until I bring it to the tranny shop next week.

Thanks!

Philip
24th-May-2011, 10:02 PM
Driving it the way it is will hurt it and there may be nothing wrong. 1st gear is a very low ratio and with light throttle pressure it will shift quickly into 2nd. With more throttle it should stay in first longer and at WOT shift later and hard enough to chirp the tires.

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 10:38 PM
Driving it the way it is will hurt it and there may be nothing wrong. 1st gear is a very low ratio and with light throttle pressure it will shift quickly into 2nd. With more throttle it should stay in first longer and at WOT shift later and hard enough to chirp the tires.

So... this might be my most idiotic question yet... is your advice to just floor it at every green light, then I'm fine until I get it looked at next week? If that's what you mean, I'm kinda happy to oblige :devil:

Pearlz1
24th-May-2011, 10:57 PM

Vacuum modulator on a 700r4?I must be missing some parts:rolleyes:Phillips on to something.My 700r4 shifts hard from 1st to 2nd.It will chirp the tires every time if I'm in to the throttle just a little bit.There's a wider spread between gears on the 700 because of the low 1st gear.I have 3.73's out back though.As far as shift You may not have the tv cable set properly and if this is the case it can and will damage the trans,so I'd get it checked asap.You mentioned you had the trans rebuilt recently,the shop should have set the tv cable for you.Why the sudden change now?

Philip
24th-May-2011, 11:00 PM
Alice I learned many years ago to never "tell" a woman what to do :yes::D

Alice the Malice
24th-May-2011, 11:39 PM
As far as shift You may not have the tv cable set properly and if this is the case it can and will damage the trans,so I'd get it checked asap.You mentioned you had the trans rebuilt recently,the shop should have set the tv cable for you.Why the sudden change now?

I just got the engine rebuilt. The first gear was always short but now it's really extreme. My engine builder doesn't do transmissions so he just told me to get it checked out asap.

Alice I learned many years ago to never "tell" a woman what to do :yes::D

This is different. This is a car forum and I am asking for advice. It's not like you're telling me not to buy my 99th purse :rolleyes::D

Philip
25th-May-2011, 12:05 AM
From the additional information in your last post I would say the TV cable needs adjusting. The engine install may have caused a change in the cable adjustment and it needs to be checked as soon as possible.

And having 3 ex-wives all of whom took houses, cars and bank accounts when they tossed me out kinda taught me not to ever

tell a woman what to do

or get married again, cause this old dog just can not learn new tricks :devil:

JRouche
25th-May-2011, 02:52 AM
I have a 700-r4 behind my 350. I have a B&M TV cable adjuster, its similar to most of them out there, including the stock adjuster.

If it is out of adjustment then you "can" damage the trans. I have played with mine alot because I was having short shifting issues.

I did the recommended adjustment procedure and thats when I was having a short shift problem.

Do you have a ratchet type adjuster? You prolly do, if not you need that or use a pressure gauge to adjust it.

At first I played with the adjuster using more slack. You cant adjust it for a tighter pull because the ratchet will self adjust during a full throttle push. Thats basically how it works. Engine off you set the tension on the high side and pull the cable all the way tight (full throttle) and the ratchet adjusts the cable. Its set after that. Its kinda a self preserving method to keep folks from frying the trans.

Now some of the issues are when guys use an aftermarket TV cable without the ratchet adjuster. Then you can get into trouble because you can set the cable to open the valve too soon (short shift). Thats when you need to use a pressure gauge to set the cable.

I had the short shift with the ratchet adjuster so I was at a loss. So I installed a pressure gauge to see what was going on. There are many papers on the net that will tell you what the pressures should be at certain conditions of the trans (park, neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. )

With the pressure gauge I was able to determine my problem was with the linkage. I was getting a bind at the throttle body side of the cable. I changed the cable connector (not the linkage, it was fine) and it solved my problem.

The TV cable adjustment is VERY sensitive. A 1/16" (or less) can effect how the trans will shift. Without the pressure gauge I would have never found out what the problem was, and wouldn't have been able to tune it correctly.

But you dont need that unless you are using an aftermarket cable only setup (without the ratchet adjuster).

Quick summary. If the cable is too slack the trans will shift really late, and I mean slack as in a 1/16". The trans will get so late so it wont even shift. Yup, I tried a really slack cable for a second till I was rapping the engine out at 4000 rpm and it would not shift. That only took about 500 feet before I pulled over and re-set the ratchet.

And thats not what will cook the trans, its locked up and not slipping, but you wont get anywhere.

Its the early shifting (your condition) that will cook it. With a tight cable you are forcing the trans to up shift when its not ready. So the converter is spinning (heat) and if you have any HP (and a tight converter) the trans will get pretty hot, the friction surfaces in the trans are subjected to the force. THATS the bad condition that you DONT want to drive the car with. Not much more than a simple putt putt around the neighborhood. JR

theracer
25th-May-2011, 09:41 AM
like said , make sure the TV is set correctly.
then go for the governor.
thats what i did,but i have a 4:56 and 31" tires :D

tony
25th-May-2011, 09:55 AM
Vacuum modulator on a 700r4?I must be missing some parts:rolleyes:

My sincere appologies. I guess I was thinking of a TH350.

Pandora's Box
25th-May-2011, 10:03 AM
My sincere appologies. I guess I was thinking.

:doh: :no: :no: :no: :poke: :D

tony
25th-May-2011, 10:29 AM
0-d9FGoBJYI&feature=related :D:D:D

Pandora's Box
25th-May-2011, 10:31 AM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :thumbsup: :beer1:

Alice the Malice
25th-May-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks JR for the great explanation! Extremely helpful! I think I'll have it looked at tomorrow instead of waiting until next week.

Tony, stop confusing me, ha ha, and stop posting videos in my thread during the day when you know damn well that I can't watch them from work :mad: :D

tony
25th-May-2011, 11:30 AM
in-_p1FdwqE

ALLT4
25th-May-2011, 12:02 PM
The mounting relationship of the TV cable attachment to throttle pivot center line is also crucial. If you have the cable mounted at distance too far from the throttle center pivot it would also cause early shifts. But it sounds more like to me that you're going to need a governor tuning kit.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

Pearlz1
25th-May-2011, 03:30 PM
My sincere appologies. I guess I was thinking of a TH350.
No problem Tony,I just figured you'd been rolling your own cigarettes again :D

Pandora's Box
25th-May-2011, 03:52 PM
No problem Tony,I just figured you'd been rolling your own cigarettes again :D

fKym33vK1cs

Alice the Malice
25th-May-2011, 07:40 PM
in-_p1FdwqE

Awww, Tony, you know how to cheer me up :D

fKym33vK1cs

This works too! :cool:

I can only bring the car in on Monday :( It's ok though, thanks to you guys, I know it will be relatively easy to fix!

Pearlz1
27th-May-2011, 03:55 PM
BTTT.Is it fixed yet?Did you get a chance to have the tv cable adjusted.Curious how it went.:confused:

Alice the Malice
27th-May-2011, 04:25 PM
BTTT.Is it fixed yet?Did you get a chance to have the tv cable adjusted.Curious how it went.:confused:

I have to wait until Monday to bring it in. Like I said, I don't want to mess with it myself since the transmission is still under warranty so it will get fixed for free. Based on people's advice, I haven't driven it much so not to fry the tranny.

I'll let you know how it went :)

sbc1320
27th-May-2011, 04:53 PM
Last one(700r4) I did was doing the same thing (shifting to fast). I marked the cable so I knew where it was originally and just moved the cable a little to improve it. I believe these are actually set for line pressure where as the turbo 350 you just full throttle the gas and then lockdown the clip for the detent cable.

Alice the Malice
27th-May-2011, 04:59 PM
Last one(700r4) I did was doing the same thing (shifting to fast). I marked the cable so I knew where it was originally and just moved the cable a little to improve it.

That's a great idea! I'll ask my tranny guy to mark where it should be so that if it there are any changes in the future, I'll be able to adjust it myself.

Thanks!

Pandora's Box
27th-May-2011, 06:42 PM
Last one(700r4) I did was doing the same thing (shifting to fast). I marked the cable so I knew where it was originally and just moved the cable a little to improve it. I believe these are actually set for line pressure where as the turbo 350 you just full throttle the gas and then lockdown the clip for the detent cable.

This is correct. That is why it is crucial that the T.V. cable be properly set. :yes:

Alice the Malice
3rd-June-2011, 01:03 PM
Sooo, here's an update.

The car is STILL at the transmission shop. They changed the TV cable, the governor, the valve body, the pump, seals, springs, etc. all in the effort to adjust the shift points. They think they got it right but want to tinker with it some more because they want to make REALLY sure that when I get the car back, it will be perfect.

This is a good shop and they do old cars (they even have a drag car) but for some reason, the shifting problem on my tranny was a big mystery...

Luckily, because of the warranty, the only thing I'll have to pay for is a new TV cable.

I should have the car back on Monday.

the FLYER
3rd-June-2011, 01:14 PM
sounds like everything's being taken care of... congrats ;)

good luck :yes: