Running lockup on overdrive transmissions? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Running lockup on overdrive transmissions?

Chevy eleven
2nd-April-2011, 09:24 PM
I hooked up my 200r4 today and started running with the lockup...after about a mile - I unhooked it.

Drove it around al afternoon with it unhooked and all seems well. Do you run lockup? Do I need to? Will it hurt not hooked up?

Pandora's Box
2nd-April-2011, 10:26 PM
For street driving you should run a lock up converter in lock up mode. By not running in lock up you risk the chance for getting the tranny fluid too hot and damaging the tranny or at least shortening its serviceable life.

WildBillyT
2nd-April-2011, 11:12 PM
For street driving you should run a lock up converter in lock up mode. By not running in lock up you risk the chance for getting the tranny fluid too hot and damaging the tranny or at least shortening its serviceable life.

Yup. That was my understanding as well.

taz3
2nd-April-2011, 11:28 PM

What he said^^, plus you'll reap the benefit of the extra milage too.:yes:

62 NovaWagon
3rd-April-2011, 12:41 AM
Well, there's only ten+ million vehicles out there running without a lock up from the factory because there weren't any at the time and none ever overheat under normal conditions, but a lock up does reduce heat and the best part it's like having another gear!..

onecarnut
3rd-April-2011, 06:19 AM
I hooked up my 200r4 today and started running with the lockup...after about a mile - I unhooked it.

Drove it around al afternoon with it unhooked and all seems well. Do you run lockup? Do I need to? Will it hurt not hooked up?

From what I have read, the 200r4 needs the lock-up feature and without it, you may experience an overheating condition.

You can alter the wiring inside the transmission so that it will only lock-up in 4th gear.

http://www.chevyasylum.com/tech/4thgear.html

dlc1979
3rd-April-2011, 06:59 PM
After a year+ of running my El Camino 2004R in non-lockup, I got it fixed a couple of weeks ago, wouldn't go back. Gained about 1.5 MPG, best I can figure.

:)

JRouche
3rd-April-2011, 10:02 PM
Well, there's only ten+ million vehicles out there running without a lock up from the factory because there weren't any at the time and none ever overheat under normal conditions, but a lock up does reduce heat and the best part it's like having another gear!..

Yup, the OLD trans are a lil lacking huh? No provisions for a lock up converter. Times are a changing, for the good. JR

JRouche
3rd-April-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah. For they guys with the 700 or 200 gm trans. The B&M lock up controller is pretty nice. Speed controlled, on and off control (for the times when you dont want it). Just a thought. JR

http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/9500540-04.pdf

62 NovaWagon
3rd-April-2011, 10:32 PM
Yup, the OLD trans are a lil lacking huh? No provisions for a lock up converter. Times are a changing, for the good. JR
Very true, some of the old TH350's did have a lock up though!..

62 NovaWagon
3rd-April-2011, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah. For they guys with the 700 or 200 gm trans. The B&M lock up controller is pretty nice. Speed controlled, on and off control (for the times when you dont want it). Just a thought. JR

http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/9500540-04.pdf
I just put a toggle switch on mine, on or off any gear any time I want!..:D

jbon64
7th-April-2011, 07:21 PM
I just put a toggle switch on mine, on or off any gear any time I want!..:D

yep , i did the same thing . seems to lug when it goes into OD in low speeds. only time i use it is on highway driving

batman09
7th-April-2011, 07:34 PM
You can alter the wiring inside the transmission so that it will only lock-up in 4th gear.

This is how mine is set up....its perfect:yes:

Philip
7th-April-2011, 08:18 PM
My 82 Corvette would actually lock up in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I think that is the only model GM built that would lock up in 2nd gear.

RedHat10
7th-April-2011, 08:36 PM
what is the advantage to having the converter lockup off the toggle. How often do you lockup the converter in any gear other than 4th? if you do why

Pandora's Box
7th-April-2011, 09:17 PM
A lock-up on a toggle switch is mainly used for racing.

When you are racing you do not want your convertor to go into lock-up. So by having a switch you're able to turn it off.

It also comes in handy if you are towing because you are not suppose to tow under load in lock-up.

Philip
7th-April-2011, 10:26 PM
what is the advantage to having the converter lockup off the toggle. How often do you lockup the converter in any gear other than 4th? if you do why

Depends on the rear gear. If you are driving at 45 - 50 with a tall gear locking up in 3rd will help with fuel savings. I think that is why the 'vette locked up in 3 gears. GM put a 3.07 gear in it and the only time it was in 4th was on the freeway.

ToocoolSS
7th-April-2011, 10:58 PM
I have a 700r4 with 3.31 rear gears. When the converter locks up the engine drops 300 RPMs. I cant see the point of going to an OD trans if you arent going to use the lock up, the whole point of having an OD is to lower the rpms on the road.
Mine is wired to lock up when the trans goes into OD which is at 50mph at part throttle. I had a toggle switch on it at first but I didnt want to be too complicated so my wife could drive it so I took the toggle switch off. Works great for me, my 427 went 12mpg to 16 with the OD.

62 NovaWagon
7th-April-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a 700r4 with 3.31 rear gears. When the converter locks up the engine drops 300 RPMs. I cant see the point of going to an OD trans if you arent going to use the lock up, the whole point of having an OD is to lower the rpms on the road.
Mine is wired to lock up when the trans goes into OD which is at 50mph at part throttle. I had a toggle switch on it at first but I didnt want to be too complicated so my wife could drive it so I took the toggle switch off. Works great for me, my 427 went 12mpg to 16 with the OD.

Exactly, it's just like having another gear..:yes:

Plowman
8th-April-2011, 12:59 AM
Lock up you will have more heat on front pump,no good. In a trans shop,#1 cause for trans to go bad. They told me they un hook lock up when they do a trans. So do what you want.

batman09
8th-April-2011, 07:17 AM
Lock up you will have more heat on front pump,no good. In a trans shop,#1 cause for trans to go bad. They told me they un hook lock up when they do a trans. So do what you want.when my trans locks up on the freeway in 4th...my transmission cools down...it doesn't heat up more?:no:

ChevyII MD
8th-April-2011, 08:15 AM
Interesting thread...

I do want the lock up, just to help out MPG if anything...

It will be a good driver, quick but there will always be a faster car!:eek::D

Mark

Pandora's Box
8th-April-2011, 09:02 AM
Lock up you will have more heat on front pump,no good. In a trans shop,#1 cause for trans to go bad. They told me they un hook lock up when they do a trans. So do what you want.

Sorry but..... :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

when my trans locks up on the freeway in 4th...my transmission cools down...it doesn't heat up more?:no:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Plowman
8th-April-2011, 09:49 AM
Sorry but..... :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Pump is hoter,trans is cooler from freeway wind,in 4th lock-up[told by a trans overhaller,not some one that is a driver looking at a temp gauge]. Telling you what I have found my self.

theracer
8th-April-2011, 09:53 AM
I put mine on a toggle, cuz when it shifts into od in town driving it woud
bog & buck because of the cam. Or i would have to put it in drive (more revs)
This way i can put in od (in town driving ) and just cruzzzzzzzzzzzzz along,with the lock up off, back to lock-up on the freeway.

Professor Fate
8th-April-2011, 12:09 PM

This is not correct. The solenoid may fail but it is not because of excessive heat due to being locked up.

surfdog
8th-April-2011, 02:08 PM
Anyone ever heard of this? Mine's supposed to have it (got it used), no electric switch. I can't feel the lock up on the highway or see the rpm drop. :confused:

Plowman
8th-April-2011, 02:41 PM
This is not correct. The solenoid may fail but it is not because of excessive heat due to being locked up.

I did not say that about the solenoid. Get your facts correct.

Professor Fate
8th-April-2011, 05:48 PM
My facts are correct. The solenoid controls the lock up. The lock up does not add excessive heat to the pump. Heat will ruin a transmission but running your lock up correctly will not add heat to the trans.

Disconnecting the lock up on a rebuild will lead to early failure unless certain changes are made inside the trans. Pretty much the only time you need to run non lock up is in all out drag racing and then the trans needs to be built to run non lock up. Run lock up on the street for longer tranny life and better mileage.

Plowman
8th-April-2011, 06:40 PM
My facts are correct. The solenoid controls the lock up. The lock up does not add excessive heat to the pump. Heat will ruin a transmission but running your lock up correctly will not add heat to the trans.

Disconnecting the lock up on a rebuild will lead to early failure unless certain changes are made inside the trans. Pretty much the only time you need to run non lock up is in all out drag racing and then the trans needs to be built to run non lock up. Run lock up on the street for longer tranny life and better mileage.
So you say lock-up extends trans life. So why are so many lock-up transmissions goimg bad in trans shops? From what you say the trans shops should be empty.

Pandora's Box
8th-April-2011, 10:24 PM
I did not say that about the solenoid. Get your facts correct.

:eek:
================================================== ========

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :thumbsup:
================================================== ========

So you say lock-up extends trans life. So why are so many lock-up transmissions goimg bad in trans shops? From what you say the trans shops should be empty.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Plowman
8th-April-2011, 10:41 PM
1989 Blazer,first trans 18000 miles,trans bad and it had lock-up. Next:125000 miles,no lock-up still good. So you tell me.

Pandora's Box
8th-April-2011, 11:09 PM
Look I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you but you are the ONLY ONE that is claiming that "lock-up" is a bad thing.

I race GM overdrives, I've dealt with countless numbers of performance tranny shops that ALL say that all overdrive trannys (GM or others) run cooler in lock-up and everyone on here agrees.

So my suggestion to you is to research overdrive units as well as torque converters and IF you find info to the contrary post it and well go from there.

Until then you are a minority besides being, what appears to be, wrong.

Plowman
8th-April-2011, 11:18 PM
Look I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you but you are the ONLY ONE that is claiming that "lock-up" is a bad thing.

I race GM overdrives, I've dealt with countless numbers of performance tranny shops that ALL say that all overdrive trannys (GM or others) run cooler in lock-up and everyone on here agrees.

So my suggestion to you is to research overdrive units as well as torque converters and IF you find info to the contrary post it and well go from there.

Until then you are a minority besides being, what appears to be, wrong.
I guess I was lucky.BTW I worked in a G.M. shop for 30 years,so IMO I am not in the minority. Just try to help people with what I know.

Plowman
8th-April-2011, 11:22 PM
You are wrong. On the poll I am not the "only one".

63chevyll
8th-April-2011, 11:47 PM
I do like the lock up, but wouldnt the extra weight of the lock up not be good for drag racing.

I have had a few converters apart and the lock up clutch and plate assy is real heavy.

On another note,

is anyone running a mechanical lock up on a 700r4...... I am and hate it, at least with my carb/cam and gearing.

I need to figure out how to remove the 7&^%^%#%$^*& what ever my builder put in there to make it a mechanical lock up.

ToocoolSS
9th-April-2011, 12:07 AM
I do like the lock up, but wouldnt the extra weight of the lock up not be good for drag racing.

I have had a few converters apart and the lock up clutch and plate assy is real heavy.

On another note,

is anyone running a mechanical lock up on a 700r4...... I am and hate it, at least with my carb/cam and gearing.

I need to figure out how to remove the 7&^%^%#%$^*& what ever my builder put in there to make it a mechanical lock up.Mine is vacuum operated. What kind of mechanical lock up are you talking about?

raymonde
9th-April-2011, 08:04 AM
So if the lockup is on a toggle switch, will it lock up in any gear with the toggle set to on, or will it only lock up when it goes into o/d ? Thanks

theracer
9th-April-2011, 08:24 AM
i think you can wire it to lock in any gear (depends on how you wire it)
except first.
i stand to be corrected if my statment is not totally correct :D

62 NovaWagon
9th-April-2011, 08:44 AM
If it's hooked up directly to a toggle switch, it activates/deactivates anytime you flip the switch!..

ToocoolSS
9th-April-2011, 08:57 AM
So if the lockup is on a toggle switch, will it lock up in any gear with the toggle set to on, or will it only lock up when it goes into o/d ? Thanks

Mine was originally set up with a toggle switch, I never tried it with the switch on when accelerating. After I got into OD I would flip the switch, once the switch was flipped to "on" It would not unlock until I came to a stop. Very annoying if I forgot to flip the switch back to "off". This is why I put the vacuum switch on mine.
Ron

Pandora's Box
9th-April-2011, 09:53 AM
I guess I was lucky.BTW I worked in a G.M. shop for 30 years,so IMO I am not in the minority. Just try to help people with what I know.

The first SBC engine that was my car was built by a franchise Chevy dealer mechanic...... it was put together wrong! So what is your point???

You are wrong. On the poll I am not the "only one".

The poll is asking who is and who IS NOT running a lock-up converter and not asking who doesn't believe in them.

I too am just trying to help and to provide correct information.

You sir (as you have told so many others) are WRONG AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Plowman
9th-April-2011, 04:04 PM
The first SBC engine that was my car was built by a franchise Chevy dealer mechanic...... it was put together wrong! So what is your point???
You probably should have taken it to the dealership-they guarantee their work. You could have taken it back for warranty work. Live and learn.

The poll is asking who is and who IS NOT running a lock-up converter and not asking who doesn't believe in them.

I too am just trying to help and to provide correct information.

You sir (as you have told so many others) are WRONG AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

You must have missed the information given by people who ran them. That was the best testimony. I drove it everyday in an '89 Blazer with a lock-up disconnected. I remember when I was your age, I thought I knew everything, too.

Philip
9th-April-2011, 04:11 PM
I remember when I was your age, I thought I knew everything, too.

Age does not equal wisdom, and apparently you still do think you know everything.

Pandora's Box
9th-April-2011, 04:33 PM
You must have missed the information given by people who ran them. That was the best testimony. I drove it everyday in an '89 Blazer with a lock-up disconnected. I remember when I was your age, I thought I knew everything, too.

O.K. here's the deal.

You do some research and post the links that you find (if you find any) stating that "lock-up" is not a good thing and that it will "increase" transmission fluid temperatures AS YOU SAY and we'll go from there.

If you can not post any links backing up what you are claiming everyone else is wrong about, then we should know just who is right and who is WRONG.

Till then....... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

B.T.W.: You've got to be pretty damn old to make a statement like that!

f16fxr4real
9th-April-2011, 04:52 PM
Lockup allows the tranny to actually cool off. You are now not using the fluid as the medium to connect to the wheels. The converter is LOCKED UP. It is now basically hooked directly from the output of the motor to the output of the transmission. Your fluid will not heat up anymore because it is not slipping and sliding as it makes its way around the converter vanes. It locks the turbine to the pump. The fluid has no reason to heat up, its not under as much pressure.
geeze, silly plowman.......:devil::D

pxtx
9th-April-2011, 07:38 PM
Either you guys are reading it wrong or I am. Plowman isn't saying the trans fluid gets hot in lock up, but rather the trans pump does.

What do you think happens when the aluminum pump overheats?

63chevyll
9th-April-2011, 09:53 PM
Mine is vacuum operated. What kind of mechanical lock up are you talking about?\

well, my 700 has no wires going to it.

it uses a check ball??? or something under the valve body. i wish i knew more i want to remove it

ToocoolSS
9th-April-2011, 10:31 PM
My 700 has this in it, I think it could be installed in any 700r4. It lets you adjust where and when the converter locks up. It operates off vacuum.
http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=TC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=376600&Category_Code=TIMisc

68bbnova
9th-April-2011, 10:56 PM
Anyone ever heard of this? Mine's supposed to have it (got it used), no electric switch. I can't feel the lock up on the highway or see the rpm drop. :confused:

I had it put into my 700 R4 in a 1985 Blazer, because were were using a 1987 case( auxillary valve body). It is made by transgo and had a few springs in the kit to "tailor" where the lockup ocurred. It was all hydaulic operated. Sean

62 NovaWagon
9th-April-2011, 11:57 PM
What do you think happens when the aluminum pump overheats?
Could you explain how the pump overheats please!..:confused:

Pearlz1
10th-April-2011, 12:02 AM
My 700r4 has the lockup hooked up through the brake pedal.Lockup disengages when the brake is applied.BTO has both switch and brake pedal assemblies for OD trans.