Any cure for the creeping green battery terminal grunge? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Any cure for the creeping green battery terminal grunge?

patman
13th-March-2011, 10:38 PM
You know the stuff I mean. The corrosion fur that grows on the battery terminal posts.

The kids' DD has a bad case of it. I cleaned and scrubbed and doused it with baking soda last summer, even installed some of those felt washer things, and...it...keeps...coming...back. I'm getting really tired of it, not to mention that it eventually screws up the connection electrically.

Is there any cure?

EARLYIIS
13th-March-2011, 11:05 PM
I use battery terminal grease. It may not help the wire itself if it is too far gone but it works good to keep already clean connections from corroding.

EarlyIIs

Pauls72
13th-March-2011, 11:42 PM
Clean them good, then use silicone spray.

Toxic
14th-March-2011, 01:15 AM
back in the day we used vasoline. it attracts dirty tho

Pandora's Box
14th-March-2011, 10:16 AM
Set a penny on top of the battery. The copper of the penny will attract ALL the corrosion and the penny will turn green, not your connections.

IT WORKS! :yes:

patman
14th-March-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks! I appreciate the suggestions...

tony
14th-March-2011, 11:13 AM
This s*** (stuff) :D seems to work excellent................:yes:

(Available at most auto parts stores or they should be able to order it)

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/electrical_system_maintenance/auto_Permatex_Dielectric_Tune-Up_Grease.htm

Pandora's Box
14th-March-2011, 11:19 AM

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/electrical_system_maintenance/auto_Permatex_Dielectric_Tune-Up_Grease.htm

Hey Tony, my idea only costs a penny! :tongue: :D

patman
14th-March-2011, 11:31 AM

Ya, that's what I was leaning towards trying first.

The penny idea is cheaper, but you still end up with the creeping crud...just in a different spot.

First time I cleaned it up (last summer), there was so much fuzz, the battery hold down bracket was covered too. The battery was flat in that car the other day, and when I checked it out, I spotted the crud starting again. I'm thinking (hoping) that the problem is a poor connection due to the corrosion.

Pandora's Box
14th-March-2011, 11:57 AM
Quite often severe green corrosion is caused buy over-charging. Over-charging cooks the battery, emitting more gasses than normal which corrode the terminals making them green. Check the voltage output at a higher rpm.

Yea the penny will turn green and fuzzy but it's better than the terminals.

the FLYER
14th-March-2011, 12:34 PM
NOCO pads have been around for years... tried & true. available at any/all auto part stores. :yes: :yes: :yes:

http://www.noco-usa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Chemicals.pdf

Pandora's Box
14th-March-2011, 01:08 PM
NOCO pads have been around for years... tried & true. available at any/all auto part stores. :yes: :yes: :yes:

http://www.noco-usa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Chemicals.pdf

even installed some of those felt washer things, and...it...keeps...coming...back.

Tried that..... didn't work. :no:

patman
14th-March-2011, 02:07 PM
Quite often severe green corrosion is caused buy over-charging. Over-charging cooks the battery, emitting more gasses than normal which corrode the terminals making them green. Check the voltage output at a higher rpm.

Yea the penny will turn green and fuzzy but it's better than the terminals.

I have to check the alternator anyway...car has 140K on it, and the dead battery might just be an alternator that isn't charging.

thedez
14th-March-2011, 07:35 PM
The most important thing to do when servicing a battery is to neutralize the acid that is there. Many products will do this, including baking soda, but be sure to keep it out of the battery. You need to neutralize the posts, cables, hold downs, etc. If you simply wire brush the terminals and post, the acid is still present, and the corrosion will return almost immediately. I agree with an above poster that the Noco products are the best. I have been selling Noco products over 30 years, and I believe they are truly the best, but Noco is proud of their products (pricey). I guess you get what you pay for.:yes:

RRoberts
16th-March-2011, 11:02 PM
The felt rings do NOTHING to stop corrosion. I bet I clean at least 2 battery cable ends a day and the best thing to do is 1:clean the cable end as best you can with a wire brush. 2: if it's a side post battery, make sure the post is not leaking. 3: once you tighten the cables, put some wheel bearing grease on them. All the grease does is block the oxygen from reaching the terminal, which causes the icky green stuff! Just a light coating will do, all around the battery cable end. I've done this for years and have never seen a battery come back corroded after I did this.

wrenchmech
17th-March-2011, 02:35 AM
nice and clean then i spray them both with satin clear coat rattle can. DONE

Jack Lehocky
17th-March-2011, 09:42 PM
A light coat of grease works great if you don't mind the look.

Gerald66
23rd-March-2011, 11:31 PM
As a kid, we always used the grease treatment. I've tried the pads, but like others never had any luck.

Cool II
24th-March-2011, 12:08 AM
RRoberts has the answer. Corrosion needs oxygen. Whether it be on your battery posts or quarter panels.
Al

patman
24th-March-2011, 12:12 AM
I ended up using an antioxidant conductive grease...something that was made for coating aluminum house wiring connections. So far...so good.

65novaken
24th-March-2011, 12:17 AM
cheap batteries seep! i have had excellent luck with interstate batteries, they dont seem to corode and as a bonus they last longer, at least for me they do, my days of buying cheap batteries are long gone.

Cool II
24th-March-2011, 12:21 AM
Use what you want. Anything that prevents oxygen contact.
Al

Cool II
24th-March-2011, 12:26 AM
Curious, you folks with the glass mat batteries have this problem?

JRouche
27th-March-2011, 02:20 AM
Curious, you folks with the glass mat batteries have this problem?

No, my optima batteries dont, I have three of them in diff vehicles. So it almost sounds like its a leaky post huh?

But the oxygen (and removal of it) posts are right on. Its not usually a leaky battery. Its not acid thats causing the problem.

Im not sure but I wonder if its a dissimilar metal issue, not sure.

I have used greases and coatings. The one I like is LPS3. Just a light spray is all it takes. It seals the connection up and once its dry its like there is nothing on there. Might look a lil shiny, not much. JR

patman
27th-March-2011, 09:06 PM
I replaced the battery about a year ago, and the old one had major fuzz on it, even the battery hold-down bracket was covered. I cleaned that all up as best I could, painted the hold-down stuff, and put it back together with a Die Hard. The battery wouldn't start the car (after a couple of weeks of sitting) and the fuzz was back. I cleaned and scrubbed the terminals...again...and put on the antioxidant grease. There was some of the green gunk hardened into some crevices in the + cable attachment that I couldn't get out. If it comes back again, I will replace that just to get rid of the last bits of the previously existing crud. So far, so good. I tested the voltage, 12.4 with the car off, and 14 with it running (even revving it, still a solid 14v reading) so I *think* the alternator/regulator is OK.