Anyone used Summit Racing paint system [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Anyone used Summit Racing paint system

72Slova
31st-January-2011, 01:35 PM
I was getting to the point where I'm ready to paint my 72 and was looking at the new paint systems that Summit if offering. The price is pretty good and I haven't heard any bad remarks about it. Has anyone here used it or know someone who has. I'd love to see some pics of some cars that have that paint. Lookin at the candy apple red but kinda scared of the candy paint. (doing the job myself)Thanks guys.

Craigert
1st-February-2011, 01:21 AM
I have used their epoxy primer only. It is good stuff.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/CRAIGERT/DSC01453.jpg

2chevy2s
1st-February-2011, 06:45 AM
I have used their epoxy primer only. It is good stuff.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/CRAIGERT/DSC01453.jpg

Do you know or anyone else know ,who makes the paint for Summit?

Novajay
1st-February-2011, 08:28 AM

I am curious about their paint system, too. There's a shade of blue I like.

Heard somewhere on SNS that they use Sherwin-Willams, but am not entirely sure.

Chucks71
1st-February-2011, 09:31 AM
Been told its Restoration Shop and the labels look very similar. But then
again I've heard Kirker. Don't think its SW though.

Chuck

stephensnova
1st-February-2011, 09:42 PM
I actually just finished painting my 4th gen. with summit racing paint. turned out pretty good for painting in a non-ventilated garage:D , i only used the paint i didnt use there primer or clear coat, but for the price it was a great deal.

Novajay
1st-February-2011, 11:49 PM
I actually just finished painting my 4th gen. with summit racing paint. turned out pretty good for painting in a non-ventilated garage:D , i only used the paint i didnt use there primer or clear coat, but for the price it was a great deal.

Which blue did you use? And did you ever get around to painting the whole car?

Craigert
1st-February-2011, 11:52 PM

Nope I don't know who makes it.

stephensnova
5th-February-2011, 12:48 AM
Which blue did you use? And did you ever get around to painting the whole car?

Just finished painting today, i used bright cobalt metallic blue, this picture is with no clear coat (they strongly suggest using clear coat over the metallic paint)http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz149/stephenscraigslist/IMG_20110104_215354.jpg

Novajay
5th-February-2011, 01:25 AM
Looks great!

TechNova
5th-February-2011, 01:55 AM
I was getting to the point where I'm ready to paint my 72 and was looking at the new paint systems that Summit if offering. The price is pretty good and I haven't heard any bad remarks about it. Has anyone here used it or know someone who has. I'd love to see some pics of some cars that have that paint. Lookin at the candy apple red but kinda scared of the candy paint. (doing the job myself)Thanks guys.

Why not buy your paint locally from a jobber that knows what they are selling instead of a performance parts store?

jason 68 L78
5th-February-2011, 10:25 AM
Just remember you pay for what you get. I am all for the inexpensive stuff to an extent, but after all the hard work you do on the body why cheap out on inexpensive finishes. I have a friend that painted his every day work truck with there system and it looks great but for how long is the question. I am sure Tech nova will chime in being a certified PPG technician about the chemical make up of the bases and clears. They are not the same. I painted my 68 with PPG DBU and PPG concept clear 7 years ago and it still looks like it was just painted. I have compliments all the time on the paint. But if you are on a budget I fully understand. Do what you can with what you have. Just figured I would give my 2 cents.

Jason

TechNova
5th-February-2011, 08:58 PM
Just remember you pay for what you get. I am all for the inexpensive stuff to an extent, but after all the hard work you do on the body why cheap out on inexpensive finishes. I have a friend that painted his every day work truck with there system and it looks great but for how long is the question. I am sure Tech nova will chime in being a certified PPG technician about the chemical make up of the bases and clears. They are not the same. I painted my 68 with PPG DBU and PPG concept clear 7 years ago and it still looks like it was just painted. I have compliments all the time on the paint. But if you are on a budget I fully understand. Do what you can with what you have. Just figured I would give my 2 cents.

Jason

Your first sentence says it all.
Value line paints fill a need, but people have to understand the shortcomings.
I have used them before and usually regret it. I get mad at myself every time I get on one of my tractors, cheap paint faded almost immediately. I need to strip it and do it right.