Best Radiator for the money? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Best Radiator for the money?

Jasons-67
5th-January-2011, 07:21 PM
What is the best factory fitting radiator for the money. If you choose other..please tell why.

72Orange
5th-January-2011, 08:41 PM
Alumitech, 100% direct replacement. Pricey but real nice.

http://www.alumitechreproductions.com/

The Big Al
6th-January-2011, 09:15 AM
Champion radiator.
http://www.championcooling.com/

Even as most have voted Summit, for the same or less money they could have had a Champion and had a drain cock that Summit radiators do not have.

I have installed 4 of these units (2) on other SNS members cars and they fit perfect and the cooling is more than adequate. And perfect fit.

IMO best bang for the buck.

PS: I do not recommend purchase from E-bay, we had one come in damaged and it was not worth the pain to deal with the seller.

IMO
AL

I voted other because my not woke up "A" can't read the list!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pauls72
6th-January-2011, 02:53 PM
Had good luck with Cool-USA.
http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/radiators_chev.html

I suggest you take a look at what 66Rich did with a generic Summit radiator, he made his own custom brackets.
http://home.earthlink.net/~2drcdan/id1.html

sbc1320
6th-January-2011, 03:10 PM
What do those radiators run for the 68-72 Nova? I clicked on their inventory, but it only came up with an email.

zman1969
6th-January-2011, 05:03 PM
I voted Champion - I have bought 2 of theirs looks quality, good welds. I also have a Entropy radiator that I am less than impressed with poor welds - I've yet to install this one. I started buying these radiator because of the poor quality I have rec'd from O'reilly's lately :(

thedez
6th-January-2011, 07:04 PM
I have always used the AFCO. It is designed for circle track racers, and most do not have transmission coolers. Depending on your application, they should be relatively easy to install, but they will not be a direct bolt in application. I recently bought a dual flow for under $200. For the money, I think they are the best.

oreowizard98
7th-January-2011, 08:20 AM
Kmj performance sells one for $129! That's too cheap. Anyone had any dealings with these radiators?

The Big Al
7th-January-2011, 02:28 PM
Kmj performance sells one for $129! That's too cheap. Anyone had any dealings with these radiators?

No drain valve.

Al

sbc1320
7th-January-2011, 02:33 PM
Here you go thanks to sreavis007 and Big Al. 2 core for $144 and 3 core for $199.

http://stores.ebay.com/Kool-Radiators-Cooling-Systems/_i.html?_nkw=nova&submit=Search&_sid=526212122

bowtie0069
7th-January-2011, 02:40 PM
No drain valve

C'mon Al, 30 seconds with a screwdriver and the water is gone!!
I paid $179 for my Griffin universal fit. A few minutes and a couple scraps of aluminum to mount it is well worth saving more than half what it would cost for one with a petcock and brackets--and I'm lazy as hell!
I guess I may be cheaper than lazy if that's possible:eek:

The Big Al
7th-January-2011, 02:41 PM
Here you go thanks to sreavis007 and Big Al. 2 core for $144 and 3 core for $199.

http://stores.ebay.com/Kool-Radiators-Cooling-Systems/_i.html?_nkw=nova&submit=Search&_sid=526212122

In the CHampion radiator.

'ES" = 2 row

"CC" = 3 row

"HD" = 4 row

Part number 571 is the standard rad for all Gen3 or gen 4 Nova's

Beware if you have a 73 or up with HD cooling with a wider radiator. Like we had in Sam's car.

AL

The Big Al
7th-January-2011, 02:44 PM
C'mon Al, 30 seconds with a screwdriver and the water is gone!!
I paid $179 for my Griffin universal fit. A few minutes and a couple scraps of aluminum to mount it is well worth saving more than half what it would cost for one with a petcock and brackets--and I'm lazy as hell!
I guess I may be cheaper than lazy if that's possible:eek:

Agreed!
As simple as it sounds, many have no business with a screw driver and a radiator. :eek:

AL

sbc1320
7th-January-2011, 02:46 PM
In the CHampion radiator.

'ES" = 2 row

"CC" = 3 row

"HD" = 4 row

Part number 571 is the standard rad for all Gen3 or gen 4 Nova's

Beware if you have a 73 or up with HD cooling with a wider radiator. Like we had in Sam's car.

AL

And direct bolt ins.

bowtie0069
7th-January-2011, 02:49 PM
many have no business with a screw driver and a radiator

I guess I'd have to agree with you there Al:rolleyes:

Hills427Nova
7th-January-2011, 05:17 PM
*Northern Aluminum Race Pro ...but only because thats what was in the Car when we bought it...Seriously I am going to replace it with a little bit Wider version of the same Radiator though when we do the Glass Front Clip Good Price, American Made and from what I have seen dependable.

Randy

sbc1320
7th-January-2011, 05:26 PM
Are you guys running regular tap water or distilled water with these aluminum radiators and heads also?

ovrdrive
9th-January-2011, 10:58 AM
If someone could figure this math out, I would greatly appreciate it...

(( And YES I know that aluminum does cool more efficiently than brass/copper ))

Ok,

Here are the dimensions of a brass/copper 3 core radiator:

23" X 17 1/4" Core Size, 28" X 19" Over All Size

All of those radiators off of e-bay are roughly the same size.

Core Dimensions: 16 3/4" high x 21" wide
Overall Dimensions: 18 1/2" (19" incl cap) high x 26 7/8" wide (along top)

The overall sizes are roughly 3" narrower and will that effect the cooling efficiency? The last radiator I purchased was thru Chevy2Only and it was a direct replacement for my 66 but, alas, it was sold..

Now for the inlet and outlet sizes...

One radiator has this for hose sizes:
Upper hose connection is 1-9/16, lower is 1-5/8.

Most if not all Champions have this for sizes:

1 1/2" for upper and lower. And that includes their 2, 3, and 4 row radiator.

To have such a small inlet and outlet sizes, wouldn't you have to slow the water down to cool it since it's passing thru a smaller diameter hose?

Now that I've done a little snopping, the Chapion style radiator may claim that they have 2, 3, and 4 rows but, if you look at all the listings on e-bay that carry those radiators, the overall size of the radiator does NOT change with the size of the 2, 3 or 4 row cooling claim.

How so?? ( By no means that this is vendor bashing, I just want to know )

If the overall dimensions are the same and the thickness of the radiator didn't change then, are they shrinking the aluminum tubes within the radiator to claim a 3 or 4 row radiator??

With those smaller passages, the chances of corrosion and blockage issues will arrise in due time??

Just curious..

The Big Al
18th-January-2011, 06:47 PM
Now that I've done a little snopping, the Chapion style radiator may claim that they have 2, 3, and 4 rows but, if you look at all the listings on e-bay that carry those radiators, the overall size of the radiator does NOT change with the size of the 2, 3 or 4 row cooling claim.

Just curious..

The thickness of the radiator changes.
That spec is not listed.

And maybe your answers could be better handled by them.
http://championcooling.com/photos/Champion/Contact.jpg

Ignitrous
18th-January-2011, 06:58 PM
Champion - Has a good solid construction, and the pet cock to drain the radiator - I got mine off ebay and it came in perfect condition.

alumitech
27th-January-2011, 03:17 PM
I see alot of post here about the China Products offered on e/bay .. and this is very worrysome with the state of the future of the American business
Champion radiator has flooded the market on e/bay with rads shipped over from China comeplete he is paying $79.00 for and offering them up to every seller on e/bay to promote.
the general view point on many forums is that the guys just dont care where it came from .. its all about there pocket book .. they start prices on e/bay at $139.95 .
As far as there feed back score is concerned .. most folks have left feed back before they ever get installed in the car and give it time to fail ... but as i saw here from one post it did leak .. and of course Champion will replace it as they buy them so cheep. they can afford to even with a high failure rate .. but this does nothing for the head ache of the buyer to replace his time to R and R the unit clean up the mess deal with phone calls shipping and so on .
Unfortunatly as a American business strictly useing U.S.A cores and parts i cant even build a unit for what they sell thes China brand products for .
It's a sad state of affairs ..but this could very well put me and others out of business , if people continue buying the China brand based on price alone .

I did a short study of Champion on e/bay .
Champion radiators on E/bay in the completed listings section not only for my benefit , but to bring to light a sad state of affairs for American business .
for every customer that installs a China made radiator under there hood .. is one less chance a American manufacture has a chance to stay in business, as there are only so many Classic American made muscle cars on the road .
so here is a synopsis of what the figures from e/bay state ... something to think about !!!

now keep in mind this is a study of sales on e/bay over a 2 week period of completed sales .

we simply typed in Champion radiator to completed listings across the board of all make cars Ford Chevy Mopar .. search results (6157) .. prices starting at $99.00 ranging to $419.00

out of the 6157 listings .. I was curious how many actually sold ... lots of pages to go threw 31 to be exact at 200 results per page (325 units sold) , a big majority at $144.95 up to $189.00 . under the $200.00 mark .. keep in mind this is over approximately a 2 week

Personally I would not conceder these buyers as the higher end muscle car enthusiast , but many were Chevy and Chevelle Skylark , Camaro and classic Chevy truck folks , along with Corvette and Mopar .

If we do the math thatís aprox ( 8450 ) Champion radiators per year from china coming into America and being sold .. now keep in mind , this is a slow time of year for radiator sales .. I would expect this number to go to 15000 in the warmer months comming up .

Champion Radiator is fast becoming the Walmart of radiators .

God help the American Manufacture .. if this keeps up folks like my self will be having a going out of business sign in the window .

For all the folks here at the forum I would like to thank you personally
for your support and buying American

thanks Don

asteeler4life
27th-January-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a becool, but I'll be purchasing a Ron Davis, it comes with dual fans for about $500

Coursey
27th-January-2011, 03:51 PM
I got a PRC with spal fan.

Works great

sbc1320
27th-January-2011, 04:06 PM
I see alot of post here about the China Products offered on e/bay .. and this is very worrysome with the state of the future of the American business
Champion radiator has flooded the market on e/bay with rads shipped over from China comeplete he is paying $79.00 for and offering them up to every seller on e/bay to promote.
the general view point on many forums is that the guys just dont care where it came from .. its all about there pocket book .. they start prices on e/bay at $139.95 .
As far as there feed back score is concerned .. most folks have left feed back before they ever get installed in the car and give it time to fail ... but as i saw here from one post it did leak .. and of course Champion will replace it as they buy them so cheep. they can afford to even with a high failure rate .. but this does nothing for the head ache of the buyer to replace his time to R and R the unit clean up the mess deal with phone calls shipping and so on .
Unfortunatly as a American business strictly useing U.S.A cores and parts i cant even build a unit for what they sell thes China brand products for .
It's a sad state of affairs ..but this could very well put me and others out of business , if people continue buying the China brand based on price alone .

Champion radiators on E/bay in the completed listings section not only for my benefit , but to bring to light a sad state of affairs for American business .
for every customer that installs a China made radiator under there hood .. is one less chance a American manufacture has a chance to stay in business, as there are only so many Classic American made muscle cars on the road .
so here is a synopsis of what the figures from e/bay state ... something to think about !!!

now keep in mind this is a study of sales on e/bay over a 2 week period of completed sales .

we simply typed in Champion radiator to completed listings across the board of all make cars Ford Chevy Mopar .. search results (6157) .. prices starting at $99.00 ranging to $419.00

out of the 6157 listings .. I was curious how many actually sold ... lots of pages to go threw 31 to be exact at 200 results per page (325 units sold) , a big majority at $144.95 up to $189.00 . under the $200.00 mark .. keep in mind this is over approximately a 2 week

Personally I would not conceder these buyers as the higher end muscle car enthusiast , but many were Chevy and Chevelle Skylark , Camaro and classic Chevy truck folks , along with Corvette and Mopar .

If we do the math thatís aprox ( 8450 ) Champion radiators per year from china coming into America and being sold .. now keep in mind , this is a slow time of year for radiator sales .. I would expect this number to go to 15000 in the warmer months comming up .

God help the American Manufacture .. if this keeps up folks like my self will be having a going out of business sign in the window .

thanks Don

I hear what you are saying, but where did that computer that you are typing on come from? I don't have a problem buying foreign, but foreign commerce should work both ways. I think it's fine as long as they buy our products also. It should work both ways. Now I know they aren't going to by our radiators, but I mean other goods as well. I'm just sayin is all and yes I do support my country in many other ways.

oreowizard98
28th-January-2011, 03:17 AM
Are you guys running regular tap water or distilled water with these aluminum radiators and heads also?

Can I ask a dumb ? I was gonna run regular green coolant with the additive for aluminum radiators. Whats the difference with diluting it with the 2 different waters. I usually fill it up from the water hose.

sbc1320
28th-January-2011, 08:47 AM
Can I ask a dumb ? I was gonna run regular green coolant with the additive for aluminum radiators. Whats the difference with diluting it with the 2 different waters. I usually fill it up from the water hose.

On the outside of the CC571 Radiator that I just got on Wednesday it says to run distilled water and antifreeze so that's what I will do. You could run it with regular tap water I guess, but less minerals in distilled water and may just last longer without the corrosion.

Jasons-67
9th-February-2011, 04:03 PM
:usa:I see alot of post here about the China Products offered on e/bay .. and this is very worrysome with the state of the future of the American business

thanks Don

I started this post and forgot about it:confused:. The reason I started this post was to find out a good radiator for my car. I was nosing around this site and found this poll. This morning I bought a griffin 6-566ac-bax straight from griffin:D. One of the reasons I bought from them is because they are built in S. Carolina ( in the us):usa: .. I ask the guy where he was. Don that was a great post and I don't think people realize how serious your post was until it happens to them. WE ALL need to take a long look at were the jobs are going. I couldnt believe that foose and american racing wheels were made in china... crazy:eek:

Ironman
9th-February-2011, 08:53 PM
I got a PRC with spal fan.

Works great

Peoples Republic of China?

Ironman
9th-February-2011, 08:55 PM
I have a becool, but I'll be purchasing a Ron Davis, it comes with dual fans for about $500

Hey Steeley McBeam - which one is that? I got a call in for pricing but the only prices I found were for race cars.

Wadd2
10th-February-2011, 01:50 PM
I've got one of those cheap china made rads I'll sell someone if they'd like it for lets say...50$ It cools really, really good and doesn't leak...much. I like it so much I took it out and decided to use it for decoration in my shop and installed a much more expensive American made model that cools better and doesn't leak. Buy American.

Coursey
10th-February-2011, 03:14 PM
Peoples Republic of China?

http://www.prchotrod.com/
Performance Rod and Custom

RichP
13th-March-2011, 06:54 PM
I can`t complain about Champion bought one for my 64 from Reliable Radiator found them on Ebay called direct great guy to deal with the one that they recommended ended up being to tall even after i had drilled the mounting holes before i noticed they still took it back said it was their fault they even paid for the return shipping had Fedex pick it up at my house. The one that they replaced it with was an American Eagle Brand fits perfect and quality looks great.

just my 2cents worth,

mychevyii20
13th-March-2011, 08:28 PM
U.S. Radiator Many styles available that drop in.

Clean 65
5th-May-2011, 04:24 PM
I voted Champion as I just installed their rad last weekend. Some jiggling to get the 4 mounting bolts in but it was a seamless install. The rad really cools well also!

It also is a newer model, CC65BA, comes with the cap and drain petcock where others don't.

Fast Eddie
11th-August-2011, 10:25 AM
AFCO and zincs.

theracer
11th-August-2011, 10:31 AM
PRC , no problem.
you order it like you want it.

67 supersport
13th-August-2011, 11:02 AM
i installed a ron davis with dual fans living in south fla with high 90 plus days car runs 185-190 all day long.it was a little bit pricey but remember you get what you pay for and its american made :D

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/1967supersport/67-Nova-aluminum-radiator.jpg

nova_1972us
13th-August-2011, 03:26 PM
I run with an Alumitech. They are a bit pricey but I think worth it.
:yes:

Philip
8th-September-2011, 07:34 PM
Northern Performance, 77 with HD cooling, the radiator is enormous.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/Aluminum%20radiator/alumrad2.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/Aluminum%20radiator/alumrad5.jpg

Nasty_74
11th-September-2011, 03:19 AM
Northern Performance, 77 with HD cooling, the radiator is enormous.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/Aluminum%20radiator/alumrad2.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/Aluminum%20radiator/alumrad5.jpg

Do they sell those for 74's? Where did you get if from?

emptypockets
14th-September-2011, 12:35 AM
I've had a Griffin radiator in my '63 for 15 years with no problems.

nova656567
13th-August-2012, 01:02 PM
Griffin: We've had great luck with their radiators. The factory fit replacement radiators are just that. Bolt in with no issues & provide great cooling as long as you use the series for your motor. Sold and installed quite a few, with excellent customer feedback.

the tree man
14th-August-2012, 02:28 AM
I ordered mine off ebay but can't remember vendor.It's American Eagle,has billet neck and outlets,2-1" rows,drain valve and cooler for auto.They offered two different models that were the same size but one had a drivers side upper inlet which I thought may give a bit more crossflow action than the original passenger side inlet so thats what I used.It needed a 1/2" spacer on each mounting flange to mate up to the stock sheet metal mount and I had to drill my own holes.A hose from a 70's Ford 1/2 ton worked with a little shortening.Not the prettiest welds but cools great,doesn't leak and price was about 160 bucks shipped.