All Engine Mount & Torque limiter Q&A (combined thread) [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: All Engine Mount & Torque limiter Q&A (combined thread)

Pages : [1] 2

SuperNova69
17th-March-2005, 01:35 AM
K guys, I got a question. I'm thinking I need a "torque strap" (not sure what they're really called) for my engine. It's been acting up lately and I thought I had it fixed, but it started acting up again, and the first thing I checked was the timing. It looked ok, so the next thing I thought was that the cap came off because it does that a lot. It was still on. So I decided to take the cap off and check the rotor and that's when I found the problem. The cap has a huge crack in it and the rotor was totally bent. I'm thinking that my motor revved up and slammed into the firewall when I had a busted motor mount on the driver's side. I replaced both mounts but the motor still moves a lot when I rev it. Will polyurethane motor mounts help any or should I just get a torque strap? Also, does anyone actually sell them or do I have to just make my own? I'm thinking if I did get one it would help my electrical stuff, too, since it would improve the ground contact.

Any comments/opinions/advice would be great.

Matt

Zman
17th-March-2005, 03:59 AM
I've seen everything from a piece of chain, to cable, even a turnbuckle once...
You can check Jegs, or Summit, but the motor shouldn't move around all that much in teh first place. Maybe you just got some really crappy mounts??
Why not just fix the real problem as suggested in the other post. Do something with the distributer. Either "Clearance" the firewall for the stocer HEI, or look into a small body HEI. There are lots of Distributer choices available.

69NovaSS
17th-March-2005, 07:37 AM
So I decided to take the cap off and check the rotor and that's when I found the problem. The cap has a huge crack in it and the rotor was totally bent. I'm thinking that my motor revved up and slammed into the firewall when I had a busted motor mount on the driver's side. I replaced both mounts but the motor still moves a lot when I rev it. Matt

I am not clear if you have replaced the cap and rotor since you changed your motor mounts? If not that is the first thing I would do before changing anything else. There is little chance a bent rotor and cracked cap will stay on the motor for long.
But as far an engine movement is concerned they do move a bit when reved and that is normal, of course hitting the firewall is not normal, that should be fixed with the new mounts you installed. So I susgest you fix the problems with the distributor first and see if the car is still acting up if it is then look at the mounts / torque strap. The distributor is a much easier fix than the mounts right now and may be all that is needed. :)

novaboy009
17th-March-2005, 09:45 AM
Are you sure you had the cap cranked down all the way? Did you miss one of the tab screws? I did that once and the rotor cracked the cap rather violently.

Kev

Dawg
17th-March-2005, 10:11 AM
Just wanted to hear it from the experts.....

undercvrSS
17th-March-2005, 11:28 AM
Depends on what your doing with the car. Our race car has solid, and works fine, but I put urethane ones on my 67, and I hate them. For a street car use rubber. With solid you will feel evry vibration in the car, shakes and rattles galore. the benefits are that they won't break very easy, and will out last the rubber. They're also good for the reaction of the car, but they will put more twist in the car.

MI-76
17th-March-2005, 12:13 PM
my dad's 406 s-10 has solid motor and trans mounts. you can expect some extra vibration,. you can also expect to go over your fasteners on a regular basis and make sure they are still torqued to spec. I know his trans pan bolts get loose, so he's got to keep them in check.

footbrake68
17th-March-2005, 12:18 PM
Echo the same opinion ... in general - select your parts for all mounts depending on the purpose, HP and torque of your car. If you are driving on the street most of the time and looking for a comfortable ride - then go with good quality rubber bushings and mounts (body, motor, tranny, etc.) If you will be dividing your time between strip / street - then your selection is up to what you want to tolerate during street usage. Canyon carving and road course type applications you can step up to a combination of poly mounts or your preference to stiffen up the car. For the strip or mostly strip applications - drop in aluminum body mounts, welded subframe, traction control and solid mounts for the motor, etc.

Am sure you will get much more specific input from other members who have completed projects for different purposes - but these guidelines should be pretty good to start.

Hope that helps ...

Dawg
17th-March-2005, 03:22 PM
It's for a street/strip use. I never thought with solid motor mounts it works the bolts loose. I guess something that is better than the stock rubber ones.

NovatoriusRex
17th-March-2005, 04:31 PM
When planning my motor install, I knew I didn't want to go solid because it didn't make much sense for a car that won't see the track more than a few times a year. For a dedicated racer, possibly.

I also didn't want to worry about rubber ones wearing out quickly and needing to be replaced.

Since I'm not overly concerned with vibration that is going to be tranmitted using poly engine mounts, I chose those. We'll see how the car likes it. My thought is that unless you're driving the car every day, poly is the way to go, which is why I went that way.

SuperNova69
17th-March-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, when I saw the crack in the cap I immediately went and bought a new cap and rotor. I don't know how good the mounts are, I got them from Autozone (didn't even know they sold them there!) and they looked a LOT better than my old ones. If I rev my engine up from under the hood, you can see the rubber stretching, though. I'm thinking poly mounts might be a future upgrade...or maybe solid...I've probably opened up a can of worms just mentioning those, :D .

And yes, I plan on eventually getting one of those Crane Cams distributors with the allen wrench adjustable timing, but since it costs $320 for the distributor, another $150 or so for the box (since it says it needs one), and then another $50 or so for a coil, it'll be a while before I can get it. So this big old distributor will have to last.

Matt

Paul Wright
17th-March-2005, 09:47 PM
The pre 73 mounts are more prone to strectching and breaking. That's why GM went to the clamshell mounts. Either put a torque limiter on the drivers side or try this old trick:

Install a solid mount on the drivers side and a regular rubber one on the pass side. Use a self locking nut on the horizontal bolt on the solid side. Don't snug it too tight. That way the engine can float on the rubber mount but not lift.

SuperNova69
17th-March-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks, Paul. I'll probably do whatever's cheaper. I don't mind having to use a solid mount on the driver's side since I want this to be a corner carver, so it's gonna have to have a pretty rigid chassis.

I'll start looking into some solid mounts.

Matt

novaboy009
18th-March-2005, 12:41 AM
I'd wrap a chain around and call it a day. Nothing more than a dollar or two. Didn't they have them as a factory option on the Z/28's?

Kev

72GreenRally
18th-March-2005, 01:21 AM
I wrap a chain around and call it a day. Nothing more than a dollar or two. Didn't they have them as a factory option on the Z/28's?

Kev
Chain wrapped around it?? I am thinking not a factory option. :D Sounds more like an option added by one with crimson colored cranial support.

Randy (might have to send that one to Foxworthy!!) ;)

SuperNova69
18th-March-2005, 02:40 AM
The only thing I could find were ground straps, and I don't know if that would be tough enough to hold the engine down or if it's just a cheap, light metal strap. It was $19.95 at Classic Industries, and solid mounts were $21.88 from Summit, so I just got the mounts. I'd rather have the mount anyway, as I think the strap would be an eye sore.

We'll see how I like the new mounts.

Matt

novaboy009
18th-March-2005, 09:34 AM
Ready for some Viii-bbrraaatttt-iiiooonnnnssss?

Kev (Solid mounts are shakily annoying, just to let you know;))

novapower
18th-March-2005, 11:04 AM
why not put solid motor mounts in .my 58 is running @ 500 lbs of torque and rubber or poly will not hold up long.those straps look cheap.i put my threw the test every weekend and never have any problem. :chev:

the mechanic
18th-March-2005, 12:24 PM
what i always did here was mentioned before get a peice of chain and a peice of black rubber hose to cover the chain and cut it so its long enough to let the mount work properly but not long enough that it can snap the mount. the hose will make it look better and keep it from rattaling(sp?)
i agree with whoever said solid mounts are terrible in a daily driver or a weekend cruiser at least IMO.

Paul Wright
18th-March-2005, 12:39 PM
A compromise which reduces the vibration problem is using only one solid mount as described in my post above. Plus if you split the set with a buddy it's pretty cheap too.

Mike Goble
18th-March-2005, 10:35 PM
I use stock rubber mounts and an adjustable torque strap.

urban rat
18th-March-2005, 11:41 PM
I run solid everything but will switch the trans to poly to remove a little bit of the drivetrain vibration. I personally love the feeling and drive mostly on the street but I also did not want to twist it all up with the torque so she is as stiff as I could make her. Heck it kinda makes me giggle at the traffic lights.

SuperNova69
21st-March-2005, 11:21 PM
Well, I did what Paul advised and it's perfect. The engine doesn't move at all now, the whole car does. :D And you can't even really tell there's a difference except for when the idle is really low. Other than that, it's like it still has the rubber mounts.

My only complaint is that even though it says it's for a Chevy, it didn't fit right out of the box. The space that mounted to the frame was too narrow, so I had to bend it a bit, and then the holes for the engine wouldn't line up, so I had to really "customize" it. I thought that was a bunch of crap. It took me a couple minutes to get the old one out, but it took about 3 hours to finally get the stupid solid one to fit. :mad:

Other than that, I love it. We'll see if anything rattles loose/breaks, etc, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the tip, Paul.

Matt

Paul Wright
22nd-March-2005, 10:12 AM
Score another one for the Paulster! :D :nascar:

diesel_turbo
22nd-March-2005, 11:44 AM
I have the same problem. Motor twists too much, breaks motor mounts, bends distributors, etc... My car has a short chain that goes from the frame to a header bolt just behind the power steering pump. From what I understand the factory even installed some of these after the fact (not sure about a chain but something [strap - whatever] - this isn't a new problem on the big blocks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

70Deuce
22nd-March-2005, 01:19 PM
I've seen the GM torque straps on e-bay from time-to-time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7963092349&category=50454

SuperNova69
22nd-March-2005, 01:49 PM
I've seen the GM torque straps on e-bay from time-to-time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7963092349&category=50454

Wow, those little, tiny cables (more like wires!) are supposed to keep a big block down? :eek:

Matt

Paul Wright
22nd-March-2005, 03:01 PM
Those GM straps were a warranty/safety fix. That's why they changed to the clamshell mounts in 1973.

kanso
22nd-March-2005, 06:11 PM
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/kanso/images/torquelink.jpg

Bill's II
22nd-March-2005, 06:53 PM
Hey Now Bill's II here. I used to install the torque cables on both Buick and Chevrolet cars due to motors mounts. However, some of the cars it was not the motor mount, it was the rear TRANSMISSION mount had broke :eek: and caused the motor mount to break. ;) Sincerely, "BILL"S" II

SuperNova69
22nd-March-2005, 08:33 PM
Kanso, that's a pretty trick looking piece. :cool: Care to share the details on how you made it?

Thanks for the tip Bill, but I doubt it's that. I just got the transmission rebuilt by a very reputable trans shop, and they said they replaced the mount, so it should be good.

Matt

kanso
23rd-March-2005, 08:28 AM
Matt, that tie-down is actually made for Mustangs, but a bit of modification made it fit in my '66. Here's a link to the piece:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=sitemap2.asp&N=400079

Click on : Competition Engineering Torque Link Kits

SuperNova69
23rd-March-2005, 05:49 PM
Oh, wow. I thought for sure you custom made it (must be the super clean engine compartment that gave me that idea, :D ). I'll probably just keep the solid mount though (doubt it will ever break...and if it does, I've got another one!).

That reminds me, does anyone else NOT like the new layout for Summit's site? I mean, it's nice and all, but I liked the old layout a lot better.

Matt

StoveBolt
24th-March-2005, 09:12 AM
gm put the cable on my 67 caprice in its time.. the mount broke, the motor came up which pulled the throttle full on and at the same time jerked the hose off the brake booster .. :eek:

speedster
24th-March-2005, 09:41 AM
if your using solid motor mounts you should run a solid tranny mount too!
i have seen were guys went solid motor mounts and rubber tranny mounts and broke the tail shafts off the trans? as for the vibrating of solids you really dont notice it if you have a big camshaft already! :D

Mike Goble
24th-March-2005, 09:49 AM
That reminds me, does anyone else NOT like the new layout for Summit's site? I mean, it's nice and all, but I liked the old layout a lot better.

Matt

You can get a similar part at most any hardware store in the turnbuckle department. It won't look as nice as Waynes, but it will function the same.

I like the new Summit setup. It makes finding parts a lot easier for me by allowing me to zoom in on exactly what I want.

69NovaSS
24th-March-2005, 09:59 AM
You can get a similar part at most any hardware store in the turnbuckle department. It won't look as nice as Waynes, but it will function the same

Yep there was one of them high tech hardware store turn buckles in my car when I bought it :D . Previous owner ran nitrous so I suspect that is why it is there. Seems to work well and I didnt really see any reason to remove it. Of course like, Mike said, the one from Summit is much nicer to look at.

mychevyii20
24th-March-2005, 09:09 PM
My car has a short chain that goes from the frame to a header bolt just behind the power steering pump. From what I understand the factory even installed some of these after the fact (not sure about a chain but something [strap - whatever] - .

A chain was a common fix installed at the factory in the 60's, but not for engine rock, but to prevent problems in accidents. The old cars had a solid accelerator shaft. In even a mild frontal inpact, the motor mounts would break and the engine would move forward and get partial or WOT. Having the car take off by itself was not a good idea. So the fix. Chain on the driver side exhaust to frame. Then if the mounts broke, it would force the engine to twist to the left, forcing the throttle closed.

69NovaSS
25th-March-2005, 07:18 AM
A chain was a common fix installed at the factory in the 60's, but not for engine rock, but to prevent problems in accidents. The old cars had a solid accelerator shaft. In even a mild frontal inpact, the motor mounts would break and the engine would move forward and get partial or WOT. Having the car take off by itself was not a good idea. So the fix. Chain on the driver side exhaust to frame. Then if the mounts broke, it would force the engine to twist to the left, forcing the throttle closed.

Man what a cheap and simple fix that is for a potentally fatal design issue. I would never have thought the chain was there for that reason but it makes a lot of sense. ;)

novaboy009
25th-March-2005, 09:31 AM
I knew I saw factory installed chains somewhere!

Kev :)

jimfulco
29th-March-2005, 11:42 PM
They would also open the throttle on left turns if the driver's side mount was broken. This is very hard to explain to a police officer.

phantom12321
30th-March-2005, 01:46 PM
I have a 73 nova which originally had a straight six in it. I have removed it and am planning to put a v8 350 in. I had heard that the engine mounts have to be moved to new positions for the V8. Does anyone know where I can find out where to put them? Any help would be greatly appreciated :chev:

Dan_Lebherz
30th-March-2005, 07:21 PM
Check out the Chevy II Only site. You will get a good idea of what is needed.

www.chevy2only.com if I remember correctly.

Ray_McAvoy
30th-March-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi phantom12321,

Having to move/change the mounts on the frame only applies to engine swaps in 1972 & earlier Novas.

In 1973, GM changed over to the "clamshell" type engine mounts. The lower halves of these mounts are the same for both inline-6 and small block V8 engines. They stay in the same set of holes as well.

Unless the inner rubber cores are bad and need to be replaced, there's no need to even unbolt the mounts from the subframe.

Your engine swap will however require you to change the upper mount brackets (the ones that attach to the engine block with 3 bolts). I think you can still buy these brackets from GM but they're a bit pricey. They should be a common find at a junkyard though. And if your 350 came from a 73 or newer vehicle, it may already have the correct mount brackets bolted to the block. Keep in mind that there were at least a couple different heights of these brackets used in different vehicles. The ones you want measure 2-1/4" from the center of the large through-bolt hole to the side that faces the engine block.

MNYPIT
22nd-November-2005, 10:42 PM
O.K., after reading around on this site, I realize you guys are problably the best to ask. When I was planning to put a BBC on my nova, (1970) I bought new BBC factory frame mounts. When I got them, one of them was higher than the other. After double checking, I was told that these where the right part numbers, and installed the engine. Like I figured, the engine leaned a little to one side. No one else has been able to notice unless I point it out. Is it just me, or has anyone else ran into this issue? :confused:

americangraffiti
22nd-November-2005, 11:03 PM
O.K., after reading around on this site, I realize you guys are problably the best to ask. When I was planning to put a BBC on my nova, (1970) I bought new BBC factory frame mounts. When I got them, one of them was higher than the other. After double checking, I was told that these where the right part numbers, and installed the engine. Like I figured, the engine leaned a little to one side. No one else has been able to notice unless I point it out. Is it just me, or has anyone else ran into this issue? :confused:
The engine leans towards the passenger side to help clear the power booster....also helps when installing headers as this helps clear the power steering box.
The passenger side mount is noticeably shorter than the small block one.
This is also the reason for a big block crossmember.
The engine also sits closer towards radiator support.....hence the big block shroud.
I guess the offset is not that much so now one really notices.....believe me I've been through all this the past month :D

Paul Wright
23rd-November-2005, 09:19 AM
Also read Best of Tech engine mount questions (http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16190)

Even the the big block is closer to the radiator because the engine is longer, the rear of the block is in the same place as the small block. GM standardized the Rear Face of Block so engines can interchange easily.

stinger670
6th-December-2005, 07:18 PM
I have a 350 out of a '77 chevy p/u and apparently I bought the wrong mounts. Which motor mount should I have? Thanks, stinger:confused:

FunkyNova66
6th-December-2005, 07:45 PM
I have a 350 out of a '77 chevy p/u and apparently I bought the wrong mounts. Which motor mount should I have? Thanks, stinger:confused:
What year is your Nova? I would buy the correct motor mounts for your nova. A small block chevy is a small block chevy regardless of where it came from. The difference is the mounting plate/frame brackets on the subframe.:)

stinger670
7th-December-2005, 09:36 AM
it's a '72 and the frame mounts that I have are about 1 1/2" too wide. ?? What to do!!!

NovaResource
7th-December-2005, 09:51 AM
it's a '72 and the frame mounts that I have are about 1 1/2" too wide. ?? What to do!!!
You are using 2 different style mounts. Your '72 has the early style mounts where the rubber is attached to the block. Starting in 1973 GM switched over to the clamshell style mounts where the rubber is attached to the frame.

72Orange
7th-December-2005, 11:39 AM
What year is your Nova? I would buy the correct motor mounts for your nova. A small block chevy is a small block chevy regardless of where it came from. The difference is the mounting plate/frame brackets on the subframe.:)My 72 originally came with a 307. When I was recently replacing the 350 that was in the car when I bought it I purchased a set of motor mounts specifying a 350. They didn't fit. I spent hours trying to figure out what the motor was hanging up on, loosening headers, etc. Then lifted the motor up high enough to take the new motor mounts off and try to slide them over thee frame mounts. Too small by maybe 1/8". Ended up putting the old motor mounts back on the motor and it was bolted in within 10 minutes.

When it comes to motor mounts, SBC is not SBC. They do differ.

Check out https://www.rockauto.com/applet3.html

And compare the PN's between different SB's from year to year.

Moral of the story is that if the frame mounts are original to the car, you need to use motor mounts according to the original motor.

stinger670
8th-December-2005, 11:09 AM
maybe its the frame mounts as well, btw, thanks orange, but rock auto only has motor mounts. I think I need frame mounts too. Where to get those???

FunkyNova66
8th-December-2005, 01:30 PM
maybe its the frame mounts as well, btw, thanks orange, but rock auto only has motor mounts. I think I need frame mounts too. Where to get those???
Orange hit it. I didn't realize the later model Nova's had different frame mounts for different size V8s (307/350etc). 2nd gens have "V8 frame mounts" with no distinction between the 283 and 327. I need to quite answering 3rd gen questions and leave them up to the experts like orange who own one.
My apologies.
Dave

Paul Wright
8th-December-2005, 03:51 PM
Best of Tech has the motor mount combined thread I think page 3 has what you want. Here's a link to my frame mount chart (http://www.geocities.com/pcwright77/files/framemnt.html).

I'll move this thread into that thread once it's finished. There may be others in the regular forum you can do a search on.

All the resto parts places have motor mounts and frame mounts. The dealer has some still available and there's always the junk yard.

CHARLES
16th-December-2005, 12:55 PM
On A 71 Nova, What Are The Differences Between Big Block And Small Block Frame Mounts?

69NovaSS
16th-December-2005, 12:59 PM
The BB mounts offset the motor towards the passenger side of the car. There have been several threads on this topic.... just do a search.:)

72GreenRally
16th-December-2005, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the site Charles!!!

Big block frame mounts offset the engine to the right to allow clearance for the steering box, and the power brake booster.

Randy (welcome again!):)

WhitecatD
16th-December-2005, 01:41 PM
will the big block motor mounts from a 3rd generation work in a 4th generation:confused:

CHARLES
16th-December-2005, 06:00 PM
I Sure Appreciate The Info, I Knew That Something Didn't Seem Quite Right When I Set The Motor Into The Car And There Was No Room Between The Motor And The Booster, And Maybe A Quarter Of An Inch Between The Head And The Steering Gearbox.

paulanntim
2nd-April-2006, 09:37 PM
I have a question regarding motor mounts for a 73 SB car. I am in need of engine frame brackets and everywhere I checked they are disc. You can still buy the half of the mount that bolts to the subframe but not the half that bolts to the motor. Does anyone know where to get them or do mounts from something else fit? Its a driver so solid mounts are out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Ray_McAvoy
4th-April-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi paulanntim,

I don't think anyone reproduces these brackets yet, and if the GM ones are now discontinued, that leaves salvage yards as about the only option.

These "clamshell" type engine mounts were used in lots of 1973 & up GM vehicles. However, there were at least 2 (if not more) different heights of V8 engine mount brackets. 73-79 Novas and 73-81 Camaros with small block Chevy V8's will probably be the best places to look. The correct brackets for Novas measure 2 1/4" from the center of the large through-bolt hole to the side that faces the engine block.

68_RATPOISN
4th-April-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, I am finally ready to install my BB in the ’68 Nova. I have a question though, what motor mounts should I use?
1. Stock replacements
2. Lakewood Muscle mounts
3. other???

What have you all used with your BB install?

68chevyll
6th-April-2006, 10:45 PM
I used Moroso solid mounts. Later.

Mark!

68_RATPOISN
10th-April-2006, 07:53 PM
Sorry...

Well I purchased my BB motor frame mounts...correct ones ('68 Nova/'67-'68 Camaro only) and the supposed correct motor mounts for a BB on a '68 Nova.

Tha frame mounts are 2 1/2" wide and the motor mounts are 2 1/4" wide, therefore the motor mounts do not slide over the frame mounts.

Is this a normal problem or what do I need to do? The motor mounts I purchased are Lakewood Muscle Mount (recommended) and there is only one number for the bbc mount ((I posted a question here as to what you all used and did not get any answer)).

Any suggestions?????

68_RATPOISN
11th-April-2006, 06:33 AM
Nobody had this problem!!!!!!!!!!!

SyncroMush
11th-April-2006, 07:37 AM
Brian,

I am attempting to do the same thing. It appears the 68 frame mounts are different than the 69+ mounts. I have frame mounts for a 69 and they measure 2 1/4 inch wide.

Since I have only the frame mounts installed so far, I will be interested in how this works out for you.

HTH

Dale

69NovaSS
11th-April-2006, 07:39 AM
well I'm pretty sure that I once read that the '68 BB cars used SB frame mounts...(about 70% sure I read that)...anyway I went out to the garage and measured my '69 SB frame mounts and they are indeed 2 1/4" wide which would fit your motor mount. Like I said I think I read this and it is one of the many things that make the '68 special...hopefully this is both right and helpful.:)

68_RATPOISN
11th-April-2006, 10:26 AM
I did research on the "right" BB frame mounts to but and it all pointed to the '68 Nova/'67-'68 Camaro version. (Yes, the '69 versions are different)
So what do you all suggest I use? Is there a "right" motor mount to get? Or do I need different Frame Mounts?

69NovaSS
11th-April-2006, 10:34 AM
I did research on the "right" BB frame mounts to but and it all pointed to the '68 Nova/'67-'68 Camaro version. (Yes, the '69 versions are different)
So what do you all suggest I use? Is there a "right" motor mount to get? Or do I need different Frame Mounts?

just a thought but could you not use the '67-'68 Camaro motor mount??? you would think it should match the '68 Nova/'67-'68 Camaro frame mount you are using?....this is just speculation on my part as i dont know what motor mount you are currently using other than it having roughly the same width as a SB mount...just a thought:)

SyncroMush
11th-April-2006, 11:10 AM
I could never figure out why the 68 mounts are different. Did your car have a small block or a 6cyl previously? My 68 was originally a 6cyl, but had a SB when I got it, so I am unsure what mounts it used to have...

Give Lakewood a call @

Mr. Gasket, Hurst, ACCEL, Hays, Jacobs, Lakewood and Mallory
Hours: 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Mon.-Fri. EST
Phone: 216.688.8300 ext. 500
Address:
Technical Service
Mr. Gasket Company
10601 Memphis Ave. #12
Cleveland, OH 44144

Dale

68_RATPOISN
11th-April-2006, 12:30 PM
SyncroMush..Yes, it was a 6cyl. I thought the same thing and do not know if I should get the factory versions since they are not interlocked.
Lakewood stated that I could modify the Frame mounts by cutting them narrower and welding plates back on the sides to beef them up. What do you all thing of doing this? I have a welder and also my buiness has a weld shop (tig, mig, etc.), so welding it back together would not be a problem.

SyncroMush
11th-April-2006, 02:35 PM
If you have the weldors&welders available I dont see why it wouldnt work.
Unless you are going for original... I guess since BBC wasnt original you arent.

Or order a set of 69+ frame mounts.

What are you using for an oil pan ?

Dale

68chevyll
12th-April-2006, 10:23 AM
My 68 has sbc frame mounts and Moroso solid motor mounts. Later.

Mark!

sixty3SS
17th-April-2006, 07:14 PM
I was looking at the V8 conversion kits and all they have are the frame mounts. Are the motor mounts the same for a v8 and an I6 ?

Greg McMillan
17th-April-2006, 10:38 PM
The first gen Chevy 2's have different frame perches and motor mounts for 6's and 8's. You will need both to swap in a V-8. The February 2006 Nova Times has a great article on the V-8 swap. NNN has any of the parts you might need.

Chevy Kid
18th-April-2006, 04:59 PM
The V8 motor mounts are not the same as a 6. However, they are easily available at any auto parts store.

Tim

Ed's68
18th-April-2006, 07:50 PM
You will also need a new oil pan.

sixty3SS
18th-April-2006, 07:55 PM
You will also need a new oil pan.

I have a sedan i bought with a V8 in it but it has solid mounts and what looks to be a home made pan. So i was looking at the whole conversion kits . With the pan, pump, dip stick , and frame mounts

the FLYER
18th-April-2006, 08:02 PM
NNN, Chevy2Only, Classic Industries... i think just about all the restoration suppliers can supply ya with a V8 conversion kit... the mounts are still available from yer local parts house and are quite inexpensive... you'll have ta double check my memory, but i believe the numbers are 2142 for the std non-interlocking mount, the 2167 or 2267 is for the interlocking style... (check the 2167/2267 for application ;) )

check yer local parts house and ask ta see the buyer's guide, it'll have pictures and applications listed ;)

you can get by with the non interlocking on the right, interlocking on the left... if ya like. i prefer the interlocking on both sides...

hope i helped :D

Be Good !!! :D

sixty3SS
18th-April-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Flyer

I looked at chevy2only kit. I Will check the mounts , thanks for the numbers .

mike_ss
22nd-April-2006, 08:54 AM
Tyring to mount a V8 in my 72 Nova. I bought the frame mounts from GM (Part # K702) I am having a hard time finding Motor mounts that fit the frame mounts. I bought the cheap set from autozone and advanced auto but neither of them fit. The inside diameter is too small to fit the outside diamater of the frame mount. Did anybody else have this problem? Thanks, -Mike

68chevyll
22nd-April-2006, 08:47 PM
Moroso solid mounts fit great. Don't know if you want to run solids. Later.

Mark!

RallyNova
23rd-April-2006, 10:40 AM
If you want rubber mounts you need to use Part #2285.

Sounds to me that you have 2283. I hade the same problem.

mike_ss
23rd-April-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help, I got it to work.

RallyNova
24th-April-2006, 12:23 PM
what did you do?

WhitecatD
28th-April-2006, 09:28 PM
I need one of those rubber mounts that attaches the Trans to the cross member. This is for a TH-400. Where could I get one of these mounts? I tried looking in the summit catalogue and couldn’t find one. I am thinking I might just have to go to the junk yard.

sproosemoose
28th-April-2006, 10:43 PM
i wouldn't go to a junkyard just yet. hit up a parts store, if you've got a good idea what you're looking for (bolt pattern and #'s etc.) you can find one.

66dave
28th-April-2006, 10:49 PM
a tranny shop or parts store should have them.

Real McCoy
28th-April-2006, 11:27 PM
I have bought them from my local parts store no problem. RM

Pauls72
29th-April-2006, 12:23 AM
Commonly stocked part at most auto parts places including the discount chains.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=4294848530+115+4294908216

jade76
29th-April-2006, 12:55 AM
Summit does have them, but only solid or poly. They're the same for all auto transmissions.

Here's the link:
Summit Trans Mounts (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=4294848530+4294908216+4294907681+4 294925079+115+4294906186)

Nova_Guy
29th-April-2006, 08:39 AM
You can't run a solid or poly mount on thransmission without using the same on the engine. If you have rubber mounts on the engine the engine will twist a bit and break the tailhousing on the transmission.

Real McCoy
29th-April-2006, 09:04 AM
My transmission guy told me to never run a solid trans mount unless you are running motor plates and I never have unless I do motorplates. Everyone has opinions but personally I have followed his advice and haven't had any problems so far. RM

kalle
11th-May-2006, 07:24 AM
Hi!

Which engine mounts should i use on a Nova 71 with 3950113, 3950114 Bigblock frame mounts?

Kalle

68chevyll
11th-May-2006, 06:54 PM
Search the threads this has been discussed many times. I use Moroso solids. Later.

Mark!

kalle
12th-May-2006, 06:43 AM
Hi!

I did a search, but i couldn’t fins any direct answer. I understand that many uses moroso solid mounts on there novas that have big blocks installed. Moroso has 3 different for chevy, which one will fit my setup? Part number??

Kalle

69NovaSS
12th-May-2006, 07:09 AM
possibly this link will help ya out:)

http://www.geocities.com/pcwright77/files/framemnt.html

Matts Rat
12th-May-2006, 01:44 PM
Energy Suspension 3.1117 will work. I just went through all this detailed on novas.net. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=580

kalle
14th-May-2006, 04:55 PM
If i want to use solids. I the moroso pn#62530 the right ones for my application?

Kalle

kalle
16th-May-2006, 06:13 PM
Energy Suspension 3.1117 will work. I just went through all this detailed on novas.net. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=580

So if Energy Suspension 3.1117 will work, the right gm pn will be 3962748?
And the moroso solids will be 62510. They are listed to fit Chevy II, Nova 1970-72 350 and Chevy II, Nova 1968-69 350. It dosent looks right to me.

Or maybe thats right becuse i emailed classic industries an asked which motor mounts to use with ci pn K701, the same as gm pn 3950113, 3950114. and the answer i got was: Use K701 with 3962748 motor mount.

This frame/motor mount issue seems to be a real mess, and no direct answers

So i will try the 3962748 or the moroso 62510 and see how it fits. Then i will post my results.

Kalle

68chevyll
17th-May-2006, 10:24 PM
I forget the part#. You can go on Moroso's website and check dimensions. Later.

Mark!

DHoskins
17th-May-2006, 10:38 PM
You'll need to measure the width of the frame mounts where the motor mounts goes over it. I've been going through some issues of finding the right frame mounts because GM made 3 different widths: 2 3/8", 2 1/2", and 2 5/8". I believe the big block mounts are 2 3/8" but don't hold me to it. Once you know this measurement call whoever you're buying the mounts from and they should be able to tell you which one to use.

Darrell

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 10:06 PM
I went to swap the motor mounts off the old block only to find the rubber is coming apart from the metal plate :eek: Only 1 year old too :rolleyes:

What SBC solid motor mounts work good in a 3rd gen?

Jason628
1st-August-2006, 10:15 PM
Greetings,

Many moons ago when I had the 468ci in mine I ran the Moroso mounts without any issues...Just make sure you go with the solid transmission mount as well.

Jason

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 10:17 PM
Greetings,

Many moons ago when I had the 468ci in mine I ran the Moroso mounts without any issues...Just make sure you go with the solid transmission mount as well.

Jason

I've read/heard that you DON'T want to run solid motor mounts with a solid tranny mount :confused: My tranny mount is rubber...I ain't changing that one. Anyone got some part#s?

Jason628
1st-August-2006, 10:20 PM
Greetings,

Yes you'll vibrate yourself on out of the car with the solid tranny mount! My problem was with the rubber ones they kept wearing out quickly so I didn't have a choice.

Jason

Shane65
1st-August-2006, 10:26 PM
Driver's side? If it's the driver's side then replace it with a steel or polyurethane one and keep the passenger side with a rubber mount. You will have better strenght on the one side and some vibration dampening on the other side.

Pick
1st-August-2006, 10:41 PM
Can't remember if your's is a '73 or '74. '74 (at least some of them) went to the style mount where the rubber was on the part that bolts to the frame and then an all metal bracket mounted to the engine. If your's is like that, (and the following are JEGS part numbers) I used Moroso 710-62630 mounts for the part that bolts to the frame, and Moroso 710-62510 for the part that bolts to the motor. I kept getting conflicting information on whether to run a solid or poly mount for the trans, but finally settled on an Energy Suspension 355-3-1108G poly mount for the trans. Very happy with it so far. Not really much vibration at all.

A trick to installing them is to leave the frame mount part loose until you have the though bolts in, then tighten them down.

***EDIT*** I just rechecked my receipt - It was a Moroso 710-62515 NOT a 710-625510 as posted above.

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 10:44 PM
I've got a 74, but the frame mounts are the 68-72 style (all steel, no rubber). I need solid mounts to match those.

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 10:58 PM
Went out and took some pics. Here's the mounts on the frame:

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 10:59 PM
Here's what the motor-side of the mounts look like:

Pick
1st-August-2006, 11:02 PM
Actually that's better because all you should need is these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D62510&N=700+115&autoview=sku

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:04 PM
Actually that's better because all you should need is these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR%2D62510&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Cool. The mounts I had on there were for a 70 Nova at Advanced Auto Parts, so these should work. Thanks :)

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mor-62510.jpg

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:06 PM
I can get these from Advance Auto Parts, but their description says for BBC :confused:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=MOR&mfrpartnumber=62510

Do SBC & BBC use same mounts???

63SSNOS
1st-August-2006, 11:06 PM
Moroso makes solids mounts for most chevy applications, ya gotta measure your stock mounts an compare their dimensions on their solids. Its easy to pic the right one. I run solid motor mounts an a rubber tranny mount so I don't break the tranny case, use this setup on the Nova an the Z28 with no problems.

Pick
1st-August-2006, 11:09 PM
I really like the solid mounts. It firms everything up, and it might be my imagination, but the car just seems to react quicker when you leave. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your new engine does for you. It should be great.

Pick
1st-August-2006, 11:17 PM
The catalog says there's also a 62500 that replaces stock mount #3990914. The 62510 replaces stock mount #396278.

See what # they say for a 70 Nova which you're using now and then maybe you can see which Moroso mount matches.

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:19 PM
Ok, now I'm REALLY confused!

I took some measurements on the motor-side mount and according to the Moroso site http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=28100, I need part# 62530 which is for a BBC :confused:

I also measured the frame mount and it's 2-1/2" across and my motor-side mounts are 2-3/8" across :confused: Do I have BBC mounts??!?! :eek:

Pick
1st-August-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey Dave, I just looked at that link you posted and if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, it says the 62530 is for a s/b.

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey Dave, I just looked at that link you posted and if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, it says the 62530 is for a s/b.

Yeah, but then go look here:
http://www.moroso.com/articles/articledisplay2.asp?article=ChevyMM_Chart.html&catcode=28100

Their application chart says I should have 62500 which measures 2-1/2" across. I measured the frame mounts I got and they are 2-1/2" across. Would the 62500 mounts work???

Pick
1st-August-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean. Might be worth a phone call to them tomorrow. Nothings easy, is it??:(

Joe
1st-August-2006, 11:32 PM
Lo Po is 2 1/2
HI Po is 2 3/8

Pick
1st-August-2006, 11:36 PM
That second chart you posted actually shows the set up I have for a '74, and it shows it starting in '73, yet your's obviously has the older style mounts. Looks like their info is a little less than consisitent, or someone did a lttle swapping along the way.

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:37 PM
Lo Po is 2 1/2
HI Po is 2 3/8

So, if the frame mount measures 2-1/2" across, will the 2-1/2" mounts work? Or do they need to be wider than that?

Joe
1st-August-2006, 11:38 PM
The 2.5 will work,that is Inside.The Frame Mount is 2.5 Outside

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:38 PM
Looks like their info is a little less than consisitent, or someone did a lttle swapping along the way.

I'd put my money on swapping :rolleyes:

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:39 PM
The 2.5 will work,that is Inside.The Frame Mount is 2.5 Outside

So they're supposed to fit that snug?

Pick
1st-August-2006, 11:49 PM
By the way Dave, how do you like that epoxy (sp?) garage floor I saw in your pictures. I wish I'd have known about that stuff 3 years ago when we bought our current house. Has it held up well?

DriveWFO
1st-August-2006, 11:55 PM
By the way Dave, how do you like that epoxy (sp?) garage floor I saw in your pictures. I wish I'd have known about that stuff 3 years ago when we bought our current house. Has it held up well?

It looks nice and cleans up easy. Slippery as snot on a door knob when it's wet. A couple small places pulled up from hot tires, but it was too cold when I applied it. I like it for the easy clean-ups.

Pick
2nd-August-2006, 12:04 AM
It looks nice and cleans up easy. Slippery as snot on a door knob when it's wet. A couple small places pulled up from hot tires, but it was too cold when I applied it. I like it for the easy clean-ups.

I really like the way it looks. I've even priced it up a time or two, but good gosh it would take me 2 weeks just to get everything out of the garage and get ready to put it down now. I'll have it in my next garage though - and I'll do it before I move in!

69NovaSS
2nd-August-2006, 06:54 AM
Dave, weld a short length of chain (3"-4" long) to your drivers side subframe directly below the head then bolt a short length of chain to the head (again 3"-4" long)...between these two pieces of chain insert a turn buckle....tighten it up to put tension on the motor and bingo bango your done

Works slick as ****;) :)

65 Post
2nd-August-2006, 07:18 AM
I've got steel mounts on ebay as we speak. Look under seller dav3216 and my all my other stuff is there too. Some things you may be interested in. Dave

Pick
2nd-August-2006, 11:31 AM
Dave,

Did you decide the 2.5" were right?

DriveWFO
2nd-August-2006, 11:42 AM
Dave,

Did you decide the 2.5" were right?

I ordered both 2-1/2" and 2-3/8" to be safe. Will send one pair back.

Pick
2nd-August-2006, 01:26 PM
I ordered both 2-1/2" and 2-3/8" to be safe. Will send one pair back.

Smart move.

SuperNova69
2nd-August-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey Dave, sorry I didn't see this before. I've got solid mounts on mine and I still have the package. I went out to check the part number and it's 62510. :)

Matt

ChevyIIMan
21st-August-2006, 08:12 AM
Im looking for pictures of what the 3rd gen Motor and frame mounts look like for the L6. Anyone have a pic or could take one for me?

ChevyIIMan
21st-August-2006, 11:15 AM
Here is what was on the block. What do the rest of the 6cly mounts look like?

http://www.odiesgarage.com/Blog/Nova/250_010.jpg

Paul Wright
21st-August-2006, 01:43 PM
There are frame brackets and a rubber mount in between...I think.
I have a set of early Camaro 6 cylinder frame brackets I can photograph. I think 1st gen F (Camaro) are the same for the 3rd gen X (Nova)

Professor Fate
21st-August-2006, 05:33 PM
ChevyIIMan:

Here are the ones we are talking about in the Parts Wanted thread:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/72VenturaII/For%20Sale/Framemounts4.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/72VenturaII/For%20Sale/Framemounts3.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/72VenturaII/For%20Sale/framemounts2.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/72VenturaII/For%20Sale/framemounts1.jpg

Bruce

ChevyIIMan
21st-August-2006, 06:18 PM
**EDITED** Youve got a PM....

happy?

I will be if you just read and follow the site rules ~Mod

Paul Wright
21st-August-2006, 06:46 PM
Ah those look exactly like what I need. How much?

Please discuss parts deals via PM or email

BTW, the frame brackets are the same as the Camaro. That means you might be able to buy them new through the restoration vendors.

TJ4FA
26th-August-2006, 12:21 PM
Here's how it looks bolted up on a 74 Nova:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/Mad4Morgans/250-6motormount.jpg

ChevyIIMan
26th-August-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah thos are the clamshell style one right? diff then the ones posted above.

TJ4FA
26th-August-2006, 01:02 PM
Yes they are different from the ones pictured earlier.

I didn't know what year you were talking about. Was this what you were looking for?

RatNova71
26th-August-2006, 03:24 PM
you want pics??? I got pics! :D Here's the factory setup.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2112000-2112999/2112473_23_full.jpg

ChevyIIMan
26th-August-2006, 04:43 PM
you want pics??? I got pics! :D Here's the factory setup.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2112000-2112999/2112473_23_full.jpg

Perfect and exactly what I have on my way here. Thanks

Paul Wright
27th-August-2006, 08:06 AM
does anybody have the GM part numbers for the 6 cylinder mounts?
It looks like the later clamshell mounts are the same as the V-8's-only the engine brackets are different.
The Early 6 frame mounts are indentical to the Camaro mounts.
I'd like to update my engine mount page with this info.
Anybody object to me hijacking the pictures for reference?
I think we have V-8 mount pics also somewhere.

TJ4FA
27th-August-2006, 12:43 PM
This motor mount info is taken from pages I purchased off eBay taken from the 1981 Mitchell Manuals Inc. Domestic Collision Estimating Guide, Nova 1973-79, Pg 282 Engine,

P.S. You can hijack any photos I post

Additionally, the DEA Products Inc. website (snapshot below) has good illustrations for all years and types of their aftermarket motormounts. http://deatx.dns2go.com/

Motor Mount, Front

6 Cyl
73-74 9762326
75 467422
76 9762326
77-78 467422
79 459021

8 Cyl
73-74 9762326
75-78 467422
79 459021

Motor Mount, Rear (Trans)
73-75 exc 3913498
75 AT 352893
76-77 3989125
78-79 472143

Bracket, Front mount

6 Cyl
73-74 3998656-5
75-79 6262210-09

8 Cyl
73-74 3998658-5
75-79 344970

Supt, Rr Mt
73-74 3899006
75-79 344677

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/Mad4Morgans/74-250-L6-MotorMounts.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/Mad4Morgans/DEAProductsInc.jpg

ChevyIIMan
4th-September-2006, 11:47 PM
I got the mounts from 72VenturaII *Thanks a ton* got another question though, which side does the tall one go on?

TJ4FA
5th-September-2006, 05:32 AM
...got another question though, which side does the tall one go on?

The part number for the motor mount indicates it goes on either side. Personally, I would have bought new ones.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/Mad4Morgans/mmount.jpg

ChevyIIMan
5th-September-2006, 05:39 AM
The part number for the motor mount indicates it goes on either side. Personally, I would have bought new ones.

You show the motor mounts Im speaking of the Frame Mounts one is taller.

ChevyIIMan
5th-September-2006, 05:50 AM
I will be if you just read and follow the site rules ~Mod

As hard as I looked I was unbale to locate the rule that expressly stated that "parts deals must be discussed via PM" Can you please point me to the offical "SITE RULES" :confused:

* I would have PM'ed you but your Box is Full * ;)

The_Dude
6th-September-2006, 12:48 AM
Someone converted my '69 to a big block many years ago. Currently, the motormounts are solid, i.e. no rubber, just steel. Can anyone tell me what the correct setup is? Thanks.

65 Post
6th-September-2006, 05:51 AM
I'll have a set going on ebay later on this evening. They are Mr. Gasket solid mounts. For a 69 Nova with a BB, part# 3672 is recommended. I have them for $15 if you're interested. Dave

65post@sbcglobal.net

Paul Wright
6th-September-2006, 09:26 AM
The rubber block mounts should be readily available at the parts store.
Your frame brackets may be correct or they could be small block stands or who knows?
You may have to take it apart and check for PN stampings or measure the hole height from the mounting surface.
Here's my frame mount page (http://www.geocities.com/pcwright77/files/framemnt.html). I need to update it with pictures and other dimensions once I get this big block mount thing figured out.

You should read the offset Big Block trans mount thread (http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44405) for more on the subject.

nova73harley03
6th-January-2007, 07:57 AM
Does anybody know who sells the clamshells for a 350 motor in a '73 nova? I've looked everywhere with no luck. I dropped the motor in with solid motor mounts from Summit and it's sitting too high. If I can find new clamshells I'll just go back to them instead of messing with the solid mounts.

Jason628
6th-January-2007, 11:14 AM
Greetings,

Summit should have them in polyurethane...Ask for motor mounts for a '74 Nova. Or if you want the factory rubber style, go to your local parts place and get them for a '74 Nova.

Jason

nova73harley03
6th-January-2007, 12:28 PM
I can get the rubber motor mount no problem...it's the metal clamshell I'm having a problem getting.

taz3
6th-January-2007, 02:33 PM
Are you in need of the one that bolts to the block?

nova73harley03
7th-January-2007, 07:59 AM
10-4. GM doesn't even sell them anymore...

Jeremy77nova
7th-January-2007, 12:57 PM
The Juck yards are the best place to find this item then you can put in a new rubber mount.Most yards pull the motors so getting them out should be faily easy.Hope this helps.

03zq8
1st-March-2007, 10:34 AM
I tore up my stock type rubber mounts, and want to go with a solid mount. I only need the part that bolts to the frame right? I can use the stock mount that bolts to the block... right?

This is a replacment for the part that bolts to the block right?
http://www.stefs.com/bandb/products/productimages/thumbs/50%20solid%20motor%20mount%2066500.jpg

I need something similiar to this right?
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mor-62630.jpg

Does anyone have any pics of their setup?

mrkent
1st-March-2007, 11:29 AM
Be sure to change your transmission mount to a solid one too when you change out to solid motor mounts. Always match the two so that nothing in betweeen (bellhousing, etc) gets twisted with the torque and breaks/cracks.

Shane65
1st-March-2007, 11:35 AM
Go solid on one side and rubber on the other. Did the driver's side fail?

bowtie0069
1st-March-2007, 11:48 AM
The frame mounts stay the same--you change the engine side of the mounts. I run all solid mounts; some people insist you can't do that without breakage--some say the opposite--some don't have a clue! I've been running ALL solids for many years, never broke anything yet. I had a urethane trans mount for a short time, but it ripped in half.
If your car is a daily driver, you'll hate the solids.

Pwrtrip75
1st-March-2007, 01:26 PM
Be sure to change your transmission mount to a solid one too when you change out to solid motor mounts. Always match the two so that nothing in betweeen (bellhousing, etc) gets twisted with the torque and breaks/cracks.

No. solid tranny mounts usually tansfer a ton of noise. There is also no stress or very little torque applied to the tranny mount. Tranny mount is to hold UP the tranny thats it. Ive had solid engine mounts and a stock tranny mount on my car through several combos. If your tranny mount is ripping, its most likely caused by something else not working right.... Pinion coming up to much or something. I have over 600rwhp going through a stock tranny mount. Granted its a 4 link car and nothing bends and twists.

rjy
1st-March-2007, 01:34 PM
Could someone please expain the pro and con of these mount. It would seem the vibration would drive ya nuts in a short time. Also whats to stop that vibration from shearing off the bolts from the block or the bolt that holds the frame mount to the engine mounts.

1qwikss
1st-March-2007, 02:09 PM
i have just the drivers side solid mount and the vibration is very minimal.

03zq8
1st-March-2007, 03:02 PM
The passenger side mount failed. I planned to run a poly trans mount.

Why would I want to change my engine mount and keep the frame mount stock? Isn't the frame mount the one that's rubber?

This is my failure:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/lawnmowerpimp/mm.jpg

novaBRO
1st-March-2007, 03:31 PM
on a uni body type car like a Nova solid motor mounts will shake the whole car. It will look cool when you rev the motor bacause the whole car will rock back and forth even more. I have solid mounts on my chevelle with a stock trans mount and sitting in the car you couldn't tell it had solid mount because the car doesnt shake around. then again a Chevelle is a full chassis car with body mount between frame and body. i guess solid mount would be ok on 3rd gen and up but pretty harsh on a 1st or 2nd gen. thats my 202 cents:D

bowtie0069
1st-March-2007, 05:04 PM
Why would I want to change my engine mount and keep the frame mount stock? Isn't the frame mount the one that's rubber?

Your mount is completely different from mine--350's had one style; 307's had another--I think my frame mounts were originally from a 307 style ( I don't remember, they came from a junkyard) Mine are just like a metal stand with the bolt hole thru the middle, and the solid mount just straddles the stand. On my stock mounts the rubber was on the engine side.

ERV JR
1st-March-2007, 07:59 PM
Your Mounts Are Different From From The 68 Thru 72, I Have Actually Found With Soild Mounts There Is Less Vibration, I Proved It To A Buddy Who Had Polly Mounts And The Motor Would Bounce And Rattle And The Valve Cover Hit The Heater Code When He Launched The Car Leaving Him Stuch At The Track With A Coolant Leak. He Swapped To Soild And Called Ne The Next Day And Told Me The Car Felt Alot Better To Drive And While At A Light.
You Can Get Frame Mounts From An Earlier Nova That Bolt To The Frame And Then Use The Mounts U Showed On The Top That Bolt To The Block

03zq8
1st-March-2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I just realized that the 73-79 nova's used my type of mounts. Can I use the stock "clamshell," with a solid frame mount?

74 hatchback
1st-March-2007, 09:31 PM
i bought solid moroso smallblock mounts frame and engine and they work great on the street, i had a solid trans mount to go with it, but i broke the internal lugs in the my th400 running hard with a BB454 so i was advised to switch to a rubber trans mount by some drag racers from another board. every mount is solid in my street car except the trans mount.

chevyzonly
1st-March-2007, 10:44 PM
i have ran solid motor mounts on everything i've had, daily drivers to race cars, 72 elcamino 454bbc th400, 69 camaro 396bbc 4 speed, 66 nova 350sbc th350, 72 nova 400sbc th400, 68 nova 427bbc th400, just to name a few, you should run a rubber or urethane trans mount. dont run a solid trans mount with solid motor mounts because something has to give, and it's gonna be the trans case. the vibration is very minor not a concern at all and if you have a decent cam its gonna vibrate anyways.

64PRONOVA
2nd-March-2007, 01:25 AM
I used to run solid motor mounts with a rubber trans mount and hated it on the street. It was so bad the emblems vibrated off my car. I got home one night and one of the SS emblems was missing and the other side was about to fall off. In addition the dash rattled and there were annoying harmonics in the doors and sheet metal. It sucked. I finally ditched them and went with Energy Suspensions Urethane motor and tranny mounts. Solved all my issues and they never broke. Stiffer than stock but not rock-hard like solid mounts. They are also "captured' so even if the rubber would break the engine isn't going anywhere.

03zq8
2nd-March-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

David_D.
2nd-March-2007, 11:35 AM
I went from stock to solid on my car (mostly a drag car now), and I can tell you that if I were to put it back on the street, I would NOT run solid. My engine is completely balanced, but it vibrates like there's no tomorrow (typical race car).

FWIW, I run a stock tranny mount with the solid motor and have never had a problem.

Ray_McAvoy
2nd-March-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi 03zq8,

Energy Suspension makes polyurethane engine mount inserts that fit 73-79 Novas. They're part number 3.1116 and replace only the rubber portion. You re-use the stock metal shells and brackets.

Ironman
2nd-March-2007, 06:10 PM
I've got solid engine and solid body mounts and the stock rubber transmission mounts. I haven't had any problems for the last ten years.

68chevyll
4th-March-2007, 06:43 PM
I run solid motor mounts with a rubber trans mount. No problems here.

tnblkc230wz
4th-March-2007, 11:21 PM
In lue of the solid motor mounts for the street, try strapping the engine on the pasenger side. SBCs originally used front motor mounts. You can put a solid bar mount from the front mount to the frame. It will requre a mounting point on the frame, but it will allow you to keep your rubber or urethane mounts and stop the motor from twisting. It has the added benefit of stopping the parasidic power loss from the engine twisting

MY67
3rd-April-2007, 07:28 PM
I WAS OUT PLAYING AROUND WITH THE NEW MOTOR TODAY AND NOTICED THE MOTOR HAD ALOT OF FLEX TO ONE SIDE,CHECKED THE MOUNTS AND SURE ENOUGH THE RUBBER WAS SPLITTING FROM THE METAL.THESE WERE BRAND NEW RUBBER MOUNTS. THIS 383 HAS ALOT OF TORQUE. WHAT TYPE OF MOUNTS ARE YOU GUYS RECOMMENDING? GO POLY?:confused:

voodoochikin04
3rd-April-2007, 08:34 PM
hey i had problems breaking mounts too.. after about 4 new mounts..lol i put a new set on, and then ran a chain from the driver side head, to the front crossmember.. on my 66... i used a turnbuckle in the middle to tighten the chain. since then i havnt broken a mount.. also ive heard of guys breaking poly mounts also..

FunkyNova66
3rd-April-2007, 08:55 PM
Speaking of which.....I need to buy a factory style strap that bolts to the frame and head before I break a mount. Anyone know who sells these?:D

64PRONOVA
4th-April-2007, 12:05 AM
Go with the energy suspension poly mounts. You won't break one of them unless you're making real big power with big traction. They are a little stiffer than stock but a lot better than solid. I ran the Energy Suspension trans mount too with my 406.

Bscman
4th-April-2007, 12:21 AM
I've seen people fab up rods to limit engine torque.

A bracket is welded to the frame, and essentially a pipe threaded at each end with rod ends is used. One rod end butts right up on the block and a bolt goes through it, the other end goes in the bracket on the frame and a bolt run through it.

IIRC, comp engineering makes a similar device.

GM even had a part in the 60's that was a cable type restraint that goes from the frame to the cylinder head. They're on ebay quite often.

Smittys62
4th-April-2007, 12:30 AM
I am in the same situation. I am getting ready to drop the 383 stroker in and it should produce a good amount of torque. I was told to put a solid mount on the driver side and a stok mount on the passenger side. Does this sound strange? I have a 62 and would love some more input on this.

64PRONOVA, you mention energy suspension poly mounts, what part# and where did you get them? Thx

Bscman
4th-April-2007, 01:57 AM
I am in the same situation. I am getting ready to drop the 383 stroker in and it should produce a good amount of torque. I was told to put a solid mount on the driver side and a stok mount on the passenger side. Does this sound strange? I have a 62 and would love some more input on this.

There's been a lot of talk on the site lately about this very setup...
lots of people using one solid/one stock mount with good results.

voodoochikin04
4th-April-2007, 02:13 AM
ive heard that sometimes your shock towers can start to rip out when using solid mounts???

luke'snova
4th-April-2007, 12:05 PM
Speaking of which.....I need to buy a factory style strap that bolts to the frame and head before I break a mount. Anyone know who sells these?:D

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CEE%2D4010&N=700+4294925130+4294908331+4294908282+4294840126+ 4294889096+115&autoview=sku

It's for a F**d, but a pretty trick looking piece. My buddy has one for his 395 (stroke 351) Mustang. Bolts to the frame and the front of the driver side head.

Luke

Smittys62
4th-April-2007, 12:13 PM
The shock towers? Not sure but how would this happen when I think the motor mounts are attached to the frame? I could be way off but ya never know. I found these on ebay. Anyone using these or have any other suggestions?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120092203013&rd=1,1
I have heard that the stock rubber ones will tear and separate with a modified and or high hoes/torque motor. My 383 is not a monster of any sort but it should make 400-450 hp and about the same torque. Not sure if the stock rubber glued to metal mounts will last. Still no info on the energy suspension poly mounts? Google time!!

MY67
4th-April-2007, 12:19 PM
Smittys62 I Am Running A 383/450 Hp For The Street And I Am Tearing The Rubber Stock Mounts. I Went To Energys Suspensions Web Site And The Only List Mounts For 69 And Up.:(

NovatoriusRex
4th-April-2007, 12:31 PM
Smittys62 I Am Running A 383/450 Hp For The Street And I Am Tearing The Rubber Stock Mounts. I Went To Energys Suspensions Web Site And The Only List Mounts For 69 And Up.:(

Energy Suspension (summit part #) ENS-3-1114G fits the early Nova V8 frame towers for motor mounts. I used these from the kit ENS-3-1120G, which included the trans mount also.

The short/wide mounts on the ones you want. I used these on my car and had no problems fitting them to my 95 block and frame towers.

Summit has a great search feature for the Energy mounts that includes the early ChevyII in it's fitment list.

Bscman
4th-April-2007, 01:34 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CEE%2D4010&N=700+4294925130+4294908331+4294908282+4294840126+ 4294889096+115&autoview=sku
Luke

This is what I was trying to describe earlier...if you're crafty, and can get rod ends available locally, they're quite easy to make--and probably half the price.
If you're really lazy, some female rod ends and some thread stock would would just as well. Use heat-shrink or rubber hose to hide the threads. Probably have it built for under $20
Just a thought.....

numbersguy
4th-April-2007, 01:46 PM
Energy Suspension (summit part #) ENS-3-1114G fits the early Nova V8 frame towers for motor mounts. I used these from the kit ENS-3-1120G, which included the trans mount also.

The short/wide mounts on the ones you want. I used these on my car and had no problems fitting them to my 95 block and frame towers.

Summit has a great search feature for the Energy mounts that includes the early ChevyII in it's fitment list.

Does any one know if these will work in a TCI front clip with my 383?

Seattle_Mike
4th-April-2007, 02:22 PM
Has anyone tried these?...I don't think there's any way you are going to break them. They are machined from solid billet and have poly inserts. You would have to break the billet in order to fail...from Chassisworks.

https://www.cachassisworks.com/images/6055id.jpg

Tom Griffin
4th-April-2007, 03:03 PM
I used a set of the energy suspension mounts and had a lot of unwanted vibration transmitted.
I ended up using NAPA 602-1106 interlocking mounts. If you break a mount you still have a safety. No breakage yet with 507 torque. About $12 each.
Yes they will work with a TCI clip.

Tg

Smittys62
4th-April-2007, 03:05 PM

MY67, Dang.,.,.,..I guess I will make sure I get something different than stock for the install. IF you find something that works pls let me know. I really need to stay as close to stock alignment as possible due to header, steering etc. clearances in my stock clipped engine bay. I posted those solid mounts from ebay, (half way back up this thread) do you think those will work? Thx again.

64PRONOVA
4th-April-2007, 03:30 PM
I used a set of the energy suspension mounts and had a lot of unwanted vibration transmitted.
I ended up using NAPA 602-1106 interlocking mounts. If you break a mount you still have a safety. No breakage yet with 507 torque. About $12 each.

Tg

I think the Energy Suspension universal 1114 motor mounts will work with 64-67 Chevy II. That's what I use on my pro-streeter. What mounts did you use on your '66 Tom?

64PRONOVA
4th-April-2007, 04:31 PM
I just measured some stock mounts and they look like the Energy Suspension 1114/1115 "universal short and wide". They are 2-5/8". The Energy Suspension mounts also have an interlock so if they fail the engine woun't fly loose.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/univ3.html

Ducedad
4th-April-2007, 04:58 PM

Tg

Tom, are you sure that's the right NAPA part no. ? I just went to the NAPA site and it didn't recognize it. I did find a BK 602-1054 , when shopping by vehicle: 67 Nova with 327. Do you think they're the same??

Smittys62
4th-April-2007, 06:00 PM
I think the Energy Suspension universal 1114 motor mounts will work with 64-67 Chevy II. That's what I use on my pro-streeter. What mounts did you use on your '66 Tom?

Whay is the 62 and 63 different? Dang, Seems like my lil 62 is always getting the bad rap on certain parts. Anyone know what motor mounts I should use on my 62?

68chevyll
4th-April-2007, 06:10 PM
I like solid mounts. I run em with no issues at all.

64PRONOVA
4th-April-2007, 06:20 PM
Whay is the 62 and 63 different? Dang, Seems like my lil 62 is always getting the bad rap on certain parts. Anyone know what motor mounts I should use on my 62?

They aren't - except they never came from the factory with a V-8. So if you are running a V-8, you are most-likely using 64-67 frame mounts.

I like solid mounts. I run em with no issues at all.

When I ran solid mounts my emblems vibrated off my car and the dash vibrated and I had rattling in my doors and other harmonics. It was pretty rough. OK for a race car but annoying on the street.

There are other manufacturers that make high-performance motor mounts other than Energy Suspensions. Lakewood makes a high durometer rubber mount that is supposed to be pretty strong and they list a part number for 64-67 Chevy II. There are also a couple others that make polyurethane mounts that will fit Novas.

Tom Griffin
4th-April-2007, 06:40 PM
Tom, are you sure that's the right NAPA part no. ? I just went to the NAPA site and it didn't recognize it. I did find a BK 602-1054 , when shopping by vehicle: 67 Nova with 327. Do you think they're the same??

Yep, thats the number. I ran into the same problem... looked on Napa's site and no listing, went to the store and they had them in stock.

Pro
I will look up and see which energy suspension mounts I used, they are in the attic of my garage.

Tg

Smittys62
12th-April-2007, 01:45 AM
I just measured some stock mounts and they look like the Energy Suspension 1114/1115 "universal short and wide". They are 2-5/8". The Energy Suspension mounts also have an interlock so if they fail the engine woun't fly loose.

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/univ3.html

Hey 64PRONOVA, Are you using the Energy Suspension 1114/1115 "universal short and wide" mounts? Any comments on how they work? Vibration? Im am still wondering what to go with. I guess I should measure my stock mounts, I have a 62 with a sbc. Thx again

nova65ss
15th-April-2007, 03:59 PM
I need one that is about an 1"- 1 1/4" tall if possible. The only thing I can find is a 1.9" tall which is a tad too tall. Any ideas? Is a solid mount no good for the trans I guess, or just some hard rubber between it and the x member? It is for a 4l60e. Thanks,

Jimmy

burkej62
19th-May-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey yall, comming close to the motor/tranny install and realized I do not have a transmission mount. The Original rubber had crumbled and turned to dust the moment i looked at it ..:p

What mounts are yall runnin?

Motor or tranny ... I like energy suspension's poly mounts. Just one more unforseen expense in this little bugger... So how bout some recomendations ... :D

FunkyNova66
19th-May-2007, 10:24 PM
CPP makes a poly mount. www.classicperform.com :beer:

Deuceisloose
19th-May-2007, 11:34 PM
The energy one worked great for me.

burkej62
19th-May-2007, 11:43 PM
In your opinion, is it worth the extra dough over the OEM replacment rubber one?

Deuceisloose
20th-May-2007, 01:36 PM
yep!......
in case you were wondering, I run a plate on the front. The solid mounts are still there, but the right side was going away and that's when I made a plate for it, so know I have both.

MY67
20th-May-2007, 01:50 PM
I Asked The Question You Did On The Mounts,and I Recently Installed The Energy Suspension Mounts. It Is Much Stoonger Than The Oem Ones I Kept Breaking.

rhorne12
20th-May-2007, 01:52 PM
I like the Energy Suspension or similar. Solid mounts transmit vibration into the car and it just a matter of time on a driver that something will break with the solids. Never had an Energy Suspension mount to fail and I have used several sets over the years.

burkej62
20th-May-2007, 04:27 PM
A little of subject but important non-the less. Do yall install the shifter with the tranny outta the car or can it be done once the tranny is installed? [manual]

PETES72NOVA
7th-July-2007, 02:34 AM
Hello Everyone! Im Looking For Some Input On Motor Mounts. Im Putting A Big Block In My 72 Nova. Im Removing The Original 6 Cylinder. I Have A Pair Of Factory Frame Mounts For A Small Block Out Of A 70 Nova. If I Remember Correctly I Can Use The Small Block Frame Mounts With The Short Solid Moroso Engine Mounts? But Its Been 25 Years Since I Swapped One. I Want To Use Solid Engine Mounts....im Just Not Certain On The Frame Mounts. Any Input Would Be Greatly Appreciated! Thanks, Pete.....

maxxsand
7th-July-2007, 07:13 PM
i guess that depends if u have p/s or not. if u don't sb mounts will work
i just put a bb in a 73 with p/b & p/s. no problems

PETES72NOVA
7th-July-2007, 07:18 PM
I Do Have P/s. Did You Use Solid Engine Mounts With Sb Frame Mounts? Thanks...

maxxsand
7th-July-2007, 07:38 PM
no because the headers would hit the p/s box i used the tall and narrow
mounts for the bb not solid i used the energy suspension ones
the sb frame mount are the same size.on the bb mounts the d/s
mount is taller to clear the p/s

68chevyll
8th-July-2007, 07:59 PM
You need the tall Moroso mount for the driver side. This is what I did and it helped alot. I swapped to manual steering also. But the mounts worked when I had power.

PETES72NOVA
8th-July-2007, 09:52 PM
Did You Use One Tall Mount And One Short Solid Mount? Were You Using Small Block Frame Mounts? Maybe I Should Just Get The Listed Big Block Frame Mounts And Not Worry About Having Solid Mounts.

taz3
8th-July-2007, 10:05 PM
Most guys who do this swap fight with header clearance issues,I would recommend BB frame mount they'll save you alot of head aches.Both my 69 are original BB cars and 1 is P/S and 1 is manual and I have no clearance trouble.

PETES72NOVA
8th-July-2007, 10:08 PM
I Agree With You Now Taz, Im Thinking Ill Just Get The Bb Frame Mounts. Wich Engine Mount Do You Have Or Use? Thanks Everyone!

taz3
8th-July-2007, 10:19 PM
I use Energy Suspension and they fit like a glove!:) They are a 2 piece design sorry I don't have the part #.Here's a pic of the frame mounts looking from the front over the grill the right side is the driver side tall mount.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f375/sstaz/BBframemounts.jpg

PETES72NOVA
9th-July-2007, 12:59 AM
Looks Great! Thats What Ill Do! Thanks Again!

68chevyll
9th-July-2007, 07:10 PM
Did You Use One Tall Mount And One Short Solid Mount? Were You Using Small Block Frame Mounts? Maybe I Should Just Get The Listed Big Block Frame Mounts And Not Worry About Having Solid Mounts.

One tall solid and a short solid. With sb frame mounts. Here's the fit the closest tube has 1/8" of clearance next to the box:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/Bad68Nova_/100_0339.jpg

72RallyNovaRon
13th-January-2008, 03:41 PM
So i got solid motor mounts but some one told me that i HAVE to run a solid tranny mount? Is this true?

veno
13th-January-2008, 03:51 PM
NO.... Dont do it!!! you'll break the bellhousing!!! use a good polly mount on the trans.......... I have seen to many broken trans bell housings due to chassis flex in stock chassis with all three mounts solid...

stock sub frames flex too much.... for 3 point solid mounting

1quik69
13th-January-2008, 04:42 PM
No, do not use a solid trans mount with the solid engine mounts. Some people get away with it but the general consensus is NO.

bowtie0069
13th-January-2008, 04:50 PM
Nonsense! I've run solid mounts at all points for over 10 years.

Pragmatist
13th-January-2008, 05:06 PM

Do you have a cage???

bowtie0069
13th-January-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you have a cage???

I have a bar, not a full cage.

DriveWFO
13th-January-2008, 05:51 PM

That's cause all the rust in your car allows for some flex :D

Deuceisloose
13th-January-2008, 08:28 PM
Mike, I'm actually going to disagree with you on this one. As stated by others, solid in the front, urethane on the trans.

I'm sure solid would work but I don't want to experiment with my case.

canadiannova
13th-January-2008, 09:51 PM
I dont want to hijack this thread but i have a related question. is there much benefit as far as vibration is concerned to just run one solid and one urethane mount on the engine? I have a set of solid mounts but just wondering if i should buy one urethane. rob.

ALLT4
13th-January-2008, 10:30 PM
Not to sound like an azz but how much can you really pick up with solid mounts? A regular mount can flex maybe what, 1/4 to 1/2 inch? Is that going to be the difference between a 2.00 60ft time and 1.50 60ft. time? I doubt it, IMHO solid mounts should be left to full cage cars that only spend time at the drag strip. I like my molars where they are, I don't want to be driving around and have things start falling off the car because of the vibration.

bowtie0069
13th-January-2008, 10:47 PM
That's cause all the rust in your car allows for some flex

Actually it's just rust colored--we don't do rust here in California!

Jeff, everyone is entitled to their opinion--right or wrong. hehehe.
I've seen more cars break trans cases from all the flexing due to rubber mounts. I tried a urethane mount; it lasted a few months before it tore itself apart.
It just doesn't make sense to me to have one part bolted solid, yet the other end is flopping around in rubber--tie it all together as one solid unit and the car should work better.

bowtie0069
13th-January-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't want to be driving around and have things start falling off the car because of the vibration.

You have a point; I've left a trail of parts behind! One day I started looking around under the hood (I try to avoid that) and discovered almost all the motor mount bolts were gone!!

ALLT4
13th-January-2008, 10:54 PM
What probably happens (stating the obvious) is the front of the frame twists a lot to the right more so than the middle of the frame. If the tranny mount is solid, something has to give. I imagine people also break tail housings. Frankly I could see that more than breaking the entire bell housing.

Ironman
13th-January-2008, 11:15 PM
I have solid engine mounts and a rubber trans mount. No problems and the ride is not all that bad. No broken tailshafts.

ALLT4
13th-January-2008, 11:29 PM
I imagine the shape your body mounts are in might play a part in all this also. A body bolted more solidly to the frame could add SOME rigidity. Guess it depends on the car and the shape everything else is in.

64PRONOVA
13th-January-2008, 11:41 PM
Go with poly engine and trans mounts. Best of both worlds. Solid mounts suck if you plan to drive the car on the street.

I used to have solid monts. My dash rattled, my doors and windows rattled, all of the emblems vibrated off the fenders, and all kind of annoying harmonics.

I'm not kidding! After a month or so I walked around the car and one of the fender "V"s had fallen-off. Some of the others were either coming loose or were almost ready to fall-off too!

For me solid mounts are great for a drag car but suck on a street/strip or street machine.

rhorne12
14th-January-2008, 09:43 AM
Not to sound like an azz but how much can you really pick up with solid mounts? A regular mount can flex maybe what, 1/4 to 1/2 inch? Is that going to be the difference between a 2.00 60ft time and 1.50 60ft. time? I doubt it, IMHO solid mounts should be left to full cage cars that only spend time at the drag strip. I like my molars where they are, I don't want to be driving around and have things start falling off the car because of the vibration.

X2 on that!! I have been doing street cars for a long time and have a real dislike for solid mounts, especially since the new mounts are so good!

Duane
14th-January-2008, 10:41 AM
I dont want to hijack this thread but i have a related question. is there much benefit as far as vibration is concerned to just run one solid and one urethane mount on the engine? I have a set of solid mounts but just wondering if i should buy one urethane. rob.

I did this on my old 63 because I kept snapping the ball on the enigne side when I ran a manual trans. Kepp that from happening.

jolietjake
14th-January-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow now this thread is entertaining! My 62 Chevy II has had solid mounts in the front and stock rubber in the back for close to 35 years. My front mounts are even bolted to the front cross member. Yea I know yer gonna say that thats not gonna hold up and is wrong, but this car grew up on bad country roads and survived just fine. Nothing ever fell off or vibrated loose, unless you include my brain!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s121/Chevytoo/06chevyIIatbeachfrontpan-1.jpg

Little Red Wagon!
14th-January-2008, 04:21 PM
NO.... Dont do it!!! you'll break the bellhousing!!! use a good polly mount on the trans.......... I have seen to many broken trans bell housings due to chassis flex in stock chassis with all three mounts solid...

stock sub frames flex too much.... for 3 point solid mounting

That's funny:D but I have solid mount's(all 3. front, mid, and tranny)and have never had any problem's with mine.

veno
14th-January-2008, 04:24 PM
That's funny:D but I have solid mount's(all 3. front, mid, and tranny)and have never had any problem's with mine.

you also have a mid plate too!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: