1969 Nova SS 427 [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: 1969 Nova SS 427

teet58
25th-July-2010, 11:06 AM
My nephew bought a 1969 Nova SS 427 back in 1984. it;s all original except the person who owned the car prior took out the 4 speed and installed a automatic "what a shame" my question is how many 1969 nova SS 427 were produced that year I"m 99% sure this is original as there was very little clones around back then. the guy he bought the car from calls him occassionaly tring to buy it back, when we look up info on a 1969 Nova ss 427 on google it keeps coming up Yanco it's not a Yanko cause there is no stripes or marking on the headrest any info would be appricated

1969NovaSS
25th-July-2010, 01:05 PM
Well they never made a 69 Nova with a 427 from Factory. Only way to get a 427 was a Yenko. Maybe with a Baldwin Motion but the odds of this are extremely rare. Do you have any numbers and dates off of the block? Build sheet for the car? I am in the process of building a Yenko Clone out of 69 SS. I do have the date correct 427 block out of a 69 vette as well as other dated parts for the car and they are like finding a needle in a haystack. I have done alot of research on this paticular set up and it is a very rare breed to come across. Again, best way to see what engine came out of is to run the dates and numbers on the block.

taz3
25th-July-2010, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately only Yenkos were available with a 427, check the block on the passenger side under the alternator to see if the # matches the VIN. It is possible to be a Yenko, but only a 37 were built. Some 396 blocks could be cut to 427, so that's another possibility.

Burke
25th-July-2010, 02:24 PM
Not to talk down to anyone, but are you sure it's not a 327?

taz3
25th-July-2010, 02:53 PM
No 327's for the 69 model year, 68 was the last year for the 327.

CdnL79 Registry
25th-July-2010, 05:11 PM
First of all, welcome to SNS. I see you're in Canada. Big country:D. Where are you?

If the '69 in question happened to be sold new in Canada, you can get GM Canada to provide all the original info on the car, including the type of engine. Here's the link to the details:

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html

Let us know what you find out.

Bob

SSavon69
25th-July-2010, 05:18 PM
First of all, welcome to SNS. I see you're in Canada. Big country:D. Where are you?

If the '69 in question happened to be sold new in Canada, you can get GM Canada to provide all the original info on the car, including the type of engine. Here's the link to the details:

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/options.html

Let us know what you find out.

Bob

Does GM in the US have this info too?

CdnL79 Registry
25th-July-2010, 06:43 PM
Does GM in the US have this info too?

Unfortunately, no. All Novas and Acadians sold new in Canada after 1967 were built in the U.S. The production/option info was all recorded and stored by GM Canada after the cars arrived in this country. The same thing was probably done for cars produced for the U.S. market, but the info is either gone, or GM won't release it. Remember, there were hundreds of thousands more cars sold in the U.S. than in Canada, so any U.S. 'vintage division' would be a significant undertaking of resources and money.

Bob

OrigLS6
31st-July-2010, 12:25 AM
Unfortunately only Yenkos were available with a 427, check the block on the passenger side under the alternator to see if the # matches the VIN. It is possible to be a Yenko, but only a 37 were built. Some 396 blocks could be cut to 427, so that's another possibility.

Perhaps a little clarification here. YENKO did do 427 conversions to Novas in '69, along with a few other HiPo dealers across the country. Nickey, Baldwin/Motion, Dana to mention a few. NO Novas ever left a GM assembly plant with a 427 engine in place. We can argue the point 'til the cows come home but there's yet to be any proof of a REAL 427 Nova from GM.
And as far as expecting to see the sYc on the headrests of a real Yenko Nova, ....... probably not! '69 sYc Camaros, yes; ...... '69 sYc Chevelles, probably, but '69 sYc Novas, ....... never have seen one yet. So, .... if you want the headrest logos on your Yenko Nova clone, ..... PLEASE don't forget the "Caution Fan Sticker" too. :rolleyes:

Schonyenko2
1st-August-2010, 01:47 PM
The gentlman from Roodhouse is correct. If it were a Yenko 427 conversion, the block most likely would be a CE. As stated, they are no documented factory 427 Novas known. Chevrolet seemed to draw the line at L78 with Novas. The question is why. Why would they not put L89 heads on from the factory, and why wouldn't they COPO the 427. Both were available on the Camaro and Chevelle. A Nova with either would not have been any more over kill than a Camaro. It would be interesting to say the least, to understand the reason why GM said no.
Many times these cars were blown up in the first days after they were sold. For a small difference between the warrenty and the cost to upgrade to the 427, guys upgraded. That early, many then believed the car was a factory 427.
There are places that have the Yenko VINs. I have some. If you want to pm me your VIN, I'll see what I have.

CdnL79 Registry
2nd-August-2010, 02:53 PM
I've been told by somebody on the "inside" that that was the case. They mainly didn't want to get involved in the (probable) many lawsuits over fake cars. But also the "vintage division" as you say is probably just as possible.

GM Canada has been documenting cars for over 20 years. If GM in the U.S. had started offering this service back in the 80's it might have been viable. IMO, over the past 20 years the hobby has progressed to the point where it would be a nightmare to start the service today. As you mention, fake cars would be uncovered in every nook and cranny in the country and GM would be inundated with lawsuits for not producing the info earlier.
Bob

68MotionL88Nova
2nd-August-2010, 03:35 PM
Schonye,Maybe its the 39th 69 Yenko 427,wheres Marlin he can call his buddy Brian Henderson of the Superar Worksop.LOL....Really though I grew up driving BB Chevy Musclecars in the early 70's.I remember a 1969 Maroon with black top SS 427 Nova with a Holley 3 Barrell from Findere NJ owned by John Levins.Not factory,not dealer installed just someome that wanted a kickass badass 427 under hood.Johns car also ran torqre thrust,oh no could that of been the 40th Yenko,LOL.Really though 427's were common in Novas back then,I guess you could call it Day 3.In 1977 my 1968 SS 396 L78 Nova 4sp had a aluminum headed 440 CID L88 motor with a Mr Gasket Vertical shifter,Sun guages and Pontiac Yenko type hood tach.Best adivice research!

SPIKEYZ0
2nd-August-2010, 09:46 PM
OH NO:poke::poke::stir::horse::horse::popcorn:

68MotionL88Nova
3rd-August-2010, 12:37 AM
Brent,There was another 1969 Nova SS 427 Nova in my area of Somerville/Bridgewater NJ owned by a black guy nicknamed Butterball.His car was a bench seat 4 speed Ralley Green black vinyl top that was originally a 396 car.Car had Cragar SS mags.Reese's Speed Shop on Davenport street in Somerville NJ worked on it.Talked to Butterball a couple years ago he is a truck driver and lived in Hobbs town Bridgewater NJ. Could it of been a Yanko?

bbdon
3rd-August-2010, 01:00 AM
I suspect that you guys are being trolled.

DCRANER
4th-August-2010, 11:22 AM
Brent,There was another 1969 Nova SS 427 Nova in my area of Somerville/Bridgewater NJ owned by a black guy nicknamed Butterball.His car was a bench seat 4 speed Ralley Green black vinyl top that was originally a 396 car.Car had Cragar SS mags.Reese's Speed Shop on Davenport street in Somerville NJ worked on it.Talked to Butterball a couple years ago he is a truck driver and lived in Hobbs town Bridgewater NJ. Could it of been a Yanko?

I know a lot about YENKOS, if it had chrome valve stem caps it could have been a real YENKO! :D

copo-2
5th-August-2010, 04:27 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/DH427Nova/10-13-2005090450PM-2.jpg

Yenko for sure wasn't the only one doing 427 Nova conversions. In fact the 427 Nova was being built in 1968. Above is an ad from Dick Harrell Performance Center showing both the 396 & 427 Chevyll. Harrell upgraded the 396 for better performance with different modifications to enhance performance, also. These were new cars being modified for customers requests and sold as a new car, never before titled. Really don't know who might have been the first to put the 427 into a new Nova, but Baldwin-Motion & Nickey were doing these in 68?
OrigLS6 & Schonye are correct in their posts of 9 & 10. I too agree that the 427 Nova was never a factory option. As stated, the factory POP and other factory documentation isn't going to help identify it as an original 427 Super Car? It is possible the 427 might retain the factory heads, intake, carb, dist., trans., and rear axle from a factory original L-78, but nothing to prove it having the 427 before being titled. Harrell, Nickey, & Motion all went one step farther in 454 Nova conversions after it was introduced in 1970. In reference to the original post, it would need good documentation and proof of it being an original Super Car 427 Nova. Many of these surfaced back in the day, but were back yard conversions done by individuals, garages, dealers, etc., that wasn't invoiced out as a 427 when new.

Below is a page of an article about a 69 Baldwin-Motion 427 Nova.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/DH427Nova/BM69Nova.png

68MotionL88Nova
12th-August-2010, 12:09 PM
Ray,Good info. I remember talking to Mrs Rosen back in 2001 about my 1968 Motion L88 427 Nova 4 speed.This is when the Rosens still lived on LI.I started to tell her stuff about my car,she got quiet and nervouse.She said you need to talk to Joel,rest is history!