distributor pickup coil bad [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: distributor pickup coil bad

f16fxr4real
14th-July-2010, 11:13 PM
Who else has had one go bad. I had replaced the coil, the old one was ohm'ing high and my backfire came back.
Finally found EXACTLY what my symptoms are.
Apparently the pickup coil starts shutting the module down once it gets hot if its bad/old.
Just gonna replace the whole distributor.

killer70ss nova
14th-July-2010, 11:25 PM
get an msd unit with vacuum advanced there the best for the street and buy the 6 al to go with it you'll never have a problem again good luck killer70ss nova:yes:

Burke
14th-July-2010, 11:27 PM
Which distributor/pickup is it? I have seen a few HEI modules go bad. Unilite inserts have a tendency to go out especialy if you don't use a ballast resistor.

veno
14th-July-2010, 11:30 PM
Hei will exhibit the very symptoms described...

f16fxr4real
14th-July-2010, 11:57 PM
Its always right after about 20 minutes of drving in the morning, or after about 15 when its hot in the afternoon. It starts losing power/backfires, dies, then will start back up and act fine (after a cool down time) until a few minutes later when its built up heat again. Then it starts doing that all over again.
I didnt realize what the name of it was to look for cause it just looks old in there. I also had found at least an oz of oil in the dist. cap head. Found a forum where they show to drill the side of the housing to get the oil to keep from pressurizing up into there

veno
15th-July-2010, 01:13 AM
if its is indeed a hei.. replace the module should fix it right up.... seen this 3 times.. EXACT symptoms...

drove me nuts the first time...diagnosing

f16fxr4real
15th-July-2010, 01:17 AM
if its is indeed a hei.. replace the module should fix it right up.... seen this 3 times.. EXACT symptoms...

drove me nuts the first time...diagnosing

The module has literally checked good 5 times. The pickup coil is what Im suspecting now. Of the 6 or 7 checks that Autozone tests the module, it passes all of them everytime. I did ohm out the pickup coil at 11-1200 cold. When it gets hot, resistance goes up correct?

schweiss1966
15th-July-2010, 02:44 AM
Could you can it off of your truck?

veno
15th-July-2010, 09:22 AM
for me, what I found, the Module, after it gets hot opened a circuit.. as it cooled off the circuit would close... not saying your the pickup coil is not bad either... however in my 3 cases.. the modules were the fail point...

pick up coils are cheap... replace it and the module..

Burke
15th-July-2010, 10:50 AM
If the unit only quits working when hot then someone testing it when it's not hot may not show a problem. Just trying to say I wouldn't trust the test results.:no:

plumrat
15th-July-2010, 10:59 AM
Adam, if you do replace the module, be sure to use the heat sink grease under the module where it mounts to the distributor. It helps transfer the heat from the module to the distributor body. Without it, a new module won't last very long.

novaBRO
15th-July-2010, 11:10 AM
I've never had a HEI coil go bad :no: but I've had maybe 4 modules go bad in 10 years across 3 different cars I've had:yes: I keep a spare in my glove box just in case:yes: when they start to go bad the car will feel sluggish until the thing finally quits leaving you stranded on the Bay Bridge at 10PM in your Trans Am :rolleyes: ask me how I know! Change the module! they're not too expensive anyway.

f16fxr4real
15th-July-2010, 11:11 AM
Could you can it off of your truck?

Joe keeps saying the same thing. Steve......I dont want to pull it out of the truck cause right now, it's like that JFS in the jet that ALWAYS starts and you always want in a TDY cause you know you wont have to work it.
Make sense now ? :D
That engine works to well
Also, now that Ive looked more in depth to the distributor, its got slop and the internals all look original and dried out, wire seems brittle and Im looking at the MSD streetfire. Only cause Im reading that its the same as all the other $175 or less distributors with the exception of having MSDs 8225 (I think thats the #) coil in it. A lot of people seem to like that coil or upgrade their HEIs with it

EDIT: just talked to their tech line and found out its the pro billet that has the good coil (8225) in it. So, I suppose I will wait to get that one.
I just really hate the idea of replacing parts when looking at the dizzy I have and seeing that the rest of it looks tired anyways.

f16fxr4real
15th-July-2010, 11:37 AM
If the unit only quits working when hot then someone testing it when it's not hot may not show a problem. Just trying to say I wouldn't trust the test results.:no:

I was thinking that last night as well Burke.
I thought how funny it would be to show up to Autozone with my heat gun and the module asking to have it tested.
All this headache for a car I may end up selling. If I still have it at the time of the minis (which Im going to, car or not) I'll be keeping it.

Nova 404
15th-July-2010, 12:54 PM
Pick up coils do fail,also the wires break from flexing when the vacuum advance works.Modules fail all the time!

VooDooII
15th-July-2010, 01:29 PM
I've never had a HEI coil go bad :no: but I've had maybe 4 modules go bad in 10 years across 3 different cars I've had:yes: I keep a spare in my glove box just in case:yes: when they start to go bad the car will feel sluggish until the thing finally quits leaving you stranded on the Bay Bridge at 10PM in your Trans Am :rolleyes: ask me how I know! Change the module! they're not too expensive anyway.

I had a coil go out in my 87 chevy stepside, refused to think it was the coil... but it was:o

VooDooII
15th-July-2010, 01:30 PM
Joe keeps saying the same thing. Steve......I dont want to pull it out of the truck cause right now, it's like that JFS in the jet that ALWAYS starts and you always want in a TDY cause you know you wont have to work it.
Make sense now ? :D
That engine works to well
Also, now that Ive looked more in depth to the distributor, its got slop and the internals all look original and dried out, wire seems brittle and Im looking at the MSD streetfire. Only cause Im reading that its the same as all the other $175 or less distributors with the exception of having MSDs 8225 (I think thats the #) coil in it. A lot of people seem to like that coil or upgrade their HEIs with it

EDIT: just talked to their tech line and found out its the pro billet that has the good coil (8225) in it. So, I suppose I will wait to get that one.
I just really hate the idea of replacing parts when looking at the dizzy I have and seeing that the rest of it looks tired anyways.

Scrounge craigs list for a good replacement:yes:and keep that dang wagon:yes: