Dead spot in Edelbrock Carb [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Dead spot in Edelbrock Carb

Hot62
2nd-June-2010, 03:28 PM
Somebody a couple weeks ago posted that they were able to fix the dead spot that is so common in Edelbrock Carbs by moving an adjustment, if you know what they did can you please post the solution.

Thanks

383NOVASS
2nd-June-2010, 04:24 PM
some common issues with edelbrocks is an off idle stumble or a delay in acceleration during quick WOT. the easiest adjustment i can think of would be on the accelerator pump linkage to increase the shot, next easiest would be metering rod swap.

what exactly is your carb doing?

Hot62
2nd-June-2010, 05:13 PM
How do you adjust the accelerator pump linkage, do you have to drill new holes and move it.

Kalamazoo72
2nd-June-2010, 06:48 PM
That might have been me.

My carb is a 600cfm Edelbrock on a 2101 intake. To fix the sag/lean spot off idle I moved the accelator pump link to the max position. (there are 3 holes on the link) and also changed the metering rods. That fixed it and it now runs fine all the way around. The engine is a GM 290hp crate engine by the way. I ended up buying the#1487 calibration kit for the #1406 carb. It has everything you would need to tune the carb. Hope that helps.

Nova74ss
2nd-June-2010, 06:58 PM
Ive adjustf everything n rebuijt mine 3 times im goin holley ive used 3 diff 1406 carbs they all ran crappy my quadrjunk runs great

Hot62
2nd-June-2010, 09:04 PM
Im assuming the bottom hole is the max position, is that correct?

383NOVASS
2nd-June-2010, 09:31 PM
if it's the same as the linkage on my 750 CFM, the top hole will give you the longest stroke out of the accelerator pump. if you play around with it before putting it in place, you'll see that putting the rod on the bottom hole, actually pre-loads the plunger halfway down the shaft and shortens the stroke going from idle to WOT. if it's a dead spot at a certain RPM, you might look into changing you step-up springs to control when the metering rods move to the primary rich position and move a stage or two richer for the power mode part of your metering rod. if it's a top end thing, maybe the secondaries could use a bump up.

hope this helps.

Hot62
2nd-June-2010, 09:56 PM
Thank You that helped a lot. I have a problem from idle to wot, so I will move the accerlator position to the top position and play with the metering rods, I am running the Edelbrock 800 cfm carb and I have the metering rod kit.

Thanks again for the help

Jay

ovrdrive
2nd-June-2010, 09:57 PM
Great tips on Edelbrock carbs here guys....

Also, you might want to set the carb up with a vacuum gauge. After you set the initial timing and all that other fun stuff, adjust the air / fuel jets in the front of the carb to get the maximum amount of vacuum. This will also eliminate the "dead spot" you are talking about.