Crankcase Evacuation Kits [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Crankcase Evacuation Kits

lktna
24th-May-2010, 06:32 AM
I have never used one before but I am thinking about giving it a try. I just got my Nova back together and it is smoking kind of bad and I had a friend tell me that that would take care of it. It is a solid roller 360 ci sb with 12.5:1 compression, Dart Iron Eagle 230s and all forged bottom end. It runs strong as hell but just smokes. Has anyone used one and it got rid of the smoke or is it a waste of money?

mdw66nova
24th-May-2010, 02:25 PM
I use one on my street car. No ports in the rocker covers. I have an early 327 with vent in the rear & vent/oil cap in the front. Installed the bung and valve just before the collector on the passenger side header. Welded a hose fitting to the stock vent tube assembly. Ran a hose between the two. Worked too well at first. It pulled oil up through the vent. I installed a restrictor and works well now.

Paul Wright
24th-May-2010, 02:38 PM
If your engine is smoking because of excessive blowby, crankcase evacuation won't fix the root problem. Do a leak down test to determine if you have poor sealing rings.

lktna
24th-May-2010, 06:39 PM
There isn't any blow by. When I pull the pcv valve there is no smoke what so ever. I was thinking with it being a decent size solid roller and not much vacuum that it was causing oil to be sucked into the intake.

D-Man
24th-May-2010, 07:02 PM
There isn't any blow by. When I pull the pcv valve there is no smoke what so ever. I was thinking with it being a decent size solid roller and not much vacuum that it was causing oil to be sucked into the intake.

If that's the case, then your valve cover either doesn't have a baffle or the one it DOES have is ineffective.:yes:

If you really are sucking oil into your engine from the PCV valve, then the E-Vac system is going to do the same thing and suck the oil right into the header collector.:rolleyes:

lktna
24th-May-2010, 08:10 PM
If that's the case, then your valve cover either doesn't have a baffle or the one it DOES have is ineffective.:yes:

If you really are sucking oil into your engine from the PCV valve, then the E-Vac system is going to do the same thing and suck the oil right into the header collector.:rolleyes:

I don't have baffles in the covers. I was just wanting to know if it would help. Wasn't really looking for a smartass answer. If I wanted that then I would have as a jackass the question not fellow Nova people!!!!!

Paul Wright
24th-May-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't have baffles in the covers. I was just wanting to know if it would help. Wasn't really looking for a smartass answer. If I wanted that then I would have as a jackass the question not fellow Nova people!!!!!

That's not a "smart ***" answer at all. He has a very valid point. From your description the pan evac won't help you.

lktna
24th-May-2010, 08:29 PM
That's not a "smart ***" answer at all. He has a very valid point. From your description the pan evac won't help you.

That is the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you.

The Big Al
24th-May-2010, 08:33 PM
How do you have the engine ventilated now?
Vent?
PCV?

Nothing?

Al

lktna
24th-May-2010, 08:54 PM
Pcv valve.

The Big Al
25th-May-2010, 12:16 AM
Pcv valve.

Breathers?
Or just a single PCV?

The engine must be vented.

lktna
25th-May-2010, 05:05 AM
Just a single pcv and a breather. Right side pcv and left breather.

bbcnova
25th-May-2010, 01:25 PM
If there are no baffles in the valve cover then it is most likely sucking the oil in through the PCV and that is causing it to smoke would be my guess.

theracer
25th-May-2010, 02:03 PM
i run my pvc through a oil/ air seperator.

D-Man
25th-May-2010, 02:42 PM

Not trying to be a smartazz, just giving a straight forward, no B.S. answer.:yes:

Sorry if I didn't sugar coat it enough to your liking.:rolleyes:

You either need a baffle or an effective oil separator to keep EITHER system from sucking the oil mist out of your valve cover.:yes:

lktna
25th-May-2010, 06:47 PM
Not trying to be a smartazz, just giving a straight forward, no B.S. answer.:yes:

Sorry if I didn't sugar coat it enough to your liking.:rolleyes:

You either need a baffle or an effective oil separator to keep EITHER system from sucking the oil mist out of your valve cover.:yes:

I have no problem with that at all. Just must have caught me in a bad mood. So for that I do appolize. Only thing that I have to keep oil off of the pcv valve is my stud girdle. This is the same valve covers and everything that I ran last year with no problems. But everything has changed since then.