Chevy Nova Forum banner

Powerglide slipping...why and what can be done?

15K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  mdw66nova 
#1 ·
The air cooled powerglide is slipping on the new 66...low speed i think...Why and can I repair this?Educate me please....Never owned a powerglide...thanks bm

#2 ·
Does it slip in reverse also since low and reverse use the same clutches, (but reverse uses band also), I would say you have hard lip seals internal, and time for a rebuild, If you have ever rebuilt a transmission or if you want to the power glide is the easiest one to do! very few parts inside! Good Luck!

#7 · (Edited)
Nope pull it out to rebuild it. I just did mine last year for the first time ever and it was simple. I highly recommend The Powerglide Handbook I got from Summit for $17. Spend a couple days on the toilet with it (the book that is) before you pull it apart and you'll be a pro. It was nothing at all to rebuild it. Don't be scared. Here's the link to the book

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HPB-HP1355/

#11 ·
HA !!! sounds familiar :yes:

good trannys though, not the air cooled or cast iron though... i blew up a couple cast iron units. it was a pita with those. heavy suckers... buy a car ('55) and run it 'till the engine or trans blew then 327 & Muncie 'em :devil: love and hate. sometimes it was fun blowin' something up, other times it happened at the worst time or place :eek:

Hey Batman
i have an air cooled sitting here that's more than likely good... if ya lived closer Bruce i'd deliver it... but i wouldn't use it, i wouldn't think you'd use one either ;)

get yer Honey an OD Batman !!! :thumbsup:

#16 ·
Once they start slipping you pretty much need to rebuild. I just went through this. I had a 6cyl PG behind a 400hp 327. I spent $900.00 to upgrade to manual valve body, the additional clutches used on V-8 setup and a steel pump? A steel something! Anyway. I love it. I didn't think I would like the full manual setup but it's fun with a Quarter Stick. Shifts hard. Not as fun if you have a column shift. Pull the pan. That will usually tell you if it's coming apart or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.