Powerglide slipping...why and what can be done? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Powerglide slipping...why and what can be done?

batman09
21st-May-2010, 09:36 AM
The air cooled powerglide is slipping on the new 66...low speed i think...Why and can I repair this?Educate me please....Never owned a powerglide...thanks bm

Coreyapet
21st-May-2010, 10:18 AM
Does it slip in reverse also since low and reverse use the same clutches, (but reverse uses band also), I would say you have hard lip seals internal, and time for a rebuild, If you have ever rebuilt a transmission or if you want to the power glide is the easiest one to do! very few parts inside! Good Luck!

schweiss1966
21st-May-2010, 10:26 AM
I have a TH-350 that will be available soon, just sayin.

tvnl
21st-May-2010, 10:36 AM
Does it slip in reverse also since low and reverse use the same clutches, (but reverse uses band also), I would say you have hard lip seals internal, and time for a rebuild, If you have ever rebuilt a transmission or if you want to the power glide is the easiest one to do! very few parts inside! Good Luck!

Yup, most likely hard seals or clutches completely worn out....

levisnteeshirt
21st-May-2010, 12:25 PM
a band adjustment , the servo piston leaking by that applies the band ,

try a bottle of trans X ,, good stuff ,, it might be in the valve body too ,, something stuck

batman09
21st-May-2010, 03:04 PM
I have a TH-350 that will be available soon, just sayin.I may be interested...How much?

a band adjustment , the servo piston leaking by that applies the band ,

try a bottle of trans X ,, good stuff ,, it might be in the valve body too ,, something stuckI will try that....cant hurt

Can I rebuild a powerglide in the car?thanks bm

Lugnut79
21st-May-2010, 03:19 PM
Nope pull it out to rebuild it. I just did mine last year for the first time ever and it was simple. I highly recommend The Powerglide Handbook I got from Summit for $17. Spend a couple days on the toilet with it (the book that is) before you pull it apart and you'll be a pro. It was nothing at all to rebuild it. Don't be scared. Here's the link to the book

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HPB-HP1355/

fasteddie
21st-May-2010, 05:09 PM
Why do you think they had the nickname of Power slide??????:D

the FLYER
21st-May-2010, 05:50 PM
i believe that name was given during the Cast Iron years... boy, let it be 1 quart low and you'll fry it :(

been there, done that :doh:

"Slip & Slide Power Glide" :thumbsup:

fasteddie
21st-May-2010, 08:06 PM
i believe that name was given during the Cast Iron years... boy, let it be 1 quart low and you'll fry it :(

been there, done that :doh:

"Slip & Slide Power Glide" :thumbsup:

I remeber the powerslide in my 67 Chevelle I had in highschool, the only way it would shift to second was if I lifted off the gas peddle then it would slide into gear!!!!:devil:

the FLYER
21st-May-2010, 08:14 PM
HA !!! sounds familiar :yes:

good trannys though, not the air cooled or cast iron though... i blew up a couple cast iron units. it was a pita with those. heavy suckers... buy a car ('55) and run it 'till the engine or trans blew then 327 & Muncie 'em :devil: love and hate. sometimes it was fun blowin' something up, other times it happened at the worst time or place :eek:

Hey Batman
i have an air cooled sitting here that's more than likely good... if ya lived closer Bruce i'd deliver it... but i wouldn't use it, i wouldn't think you'd use one either ;)

get yer Honey an OD Batman !!! :thumbsup:

Burke
21st-May-2010, 10:08 PM
Just so you know, your powerglide is not air cooled:no:, but if you want one I have an extra:yes:
See ya tomorrow mornin

sLOW63
21st-May-2010, 10:12 PM
could just be low on fluid... and or getting too hot... mine would slip all the time at temp., added a trans cooler, now it's fine....

Seattle_Mike
21st-May-2010, 10:23 PM
They are a good trans if built right. We threw 2K hp at it, ran 6 sec 1/4, & over 200 mph with the Glide. There are certain "do's" & "don'ts" that can fry one in a hurry as well.

lugnut
21st-May-2010, 10:27 PM
I have 2 PG's for you too if you want em.

mdw66nova
22nd-May-2010, 12:37 AM
Once they start slipping you pretty much need to rebuild. I just went through this. I had a 6cyl PG behind a 400hp 327. I spent $900.00 to upgrade to manual valve body, the additional clutches used on V-8 setup and a steel pump? A steel something! Anyway. I love it. I didn't think I would like the full manual setup but it's fun with a Quarter Stick. Shifts hard. Not as fun if you have a column shift. Pull the pan. That will usually tell you if it's coming apart or not.