"drilling" slicks to the rim [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: "drilling" slicks to the rim

74novaKid
23rd-April-2010, 12:01 AM
We were told by a few people that we should "drill" our slicks down. Moroso, jegs and summit all make a kit for this so it has obvisiouly been done before, but before we got drilling holes in the rims, has anyone ever done this, as oppose to buying a $800 set of beadlocks. What are you thoughts about this, pros/cons, experience, and pics if possible? All would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks
Chris

chevyIIheavy
23rd-April-2010, 12:17 AM
its ok if you need too , if your slicks dont turn on the rim then why do it ???? best way to find out is mark the slick at the valve stem with a white marker , go to the track and do a good launch and see if it moves , on slicks i think its more than an inch of movement and they will need to have the screws , the bad thing about it is you mess up a nice pair of wheels doing it and you run the risk of your tires leaking air out of the screws if you dont keep an eye on them between rounds

i did it with a pair of drag radials ...... and yes they leaked , now i have new tires and no screws they havent moved at all , my new tires where mounted by the guys at mickey thompsen at the track , they used a glue specifically made for drag slicks / drag radials that doesnt allow the tire to move

74novaKid
23rd-April-2010, 12:41 AM
you made a great point that i didnt even think of, i need to mark them in order to see if they are moving. Thats for that, i really appreciate it
Chris

NOVACA1N
23rd-April-2010, 02:04 AM
You don't need them...It's a good way to ruin a nice pair of wheels.

bigdaddykane
23rd-April-2010, 02:24 AM
You don't need them...It's a good way to ruin a nice pair of wheels.

hi, do you know if the show in bellmore started yet? thanks

bigdaddykane
23rd-April-2010, 02:25 AM
its ok if you need too , if your slicks dont turn on the rim then why do it ???? best way to find out is mark the slick at the valve stem with a white marker , go to the track and do a good launch and see if it moves , on slicks i think its more than an inch of movement and they will need to have the screws , the bad thing about it is you mess up a nice pair of wheels doing it and you run the risk of your tires leaking air out of the screws if you dont keep an eye on them between rounds

i did it with a pair of drag radials ...... and yes they leaked , now i have new tires and no screws they havent moved at all , my new tires where mounted by the guys at mickey thompsen at the track , they used a glue specifically made for drag slicks / drag radials that doesnt allow the tire to move

where can i get this special glue that you mentioned when they mounted your tires?

NOVACA1N
23rd-April-2010, 02:45 AM
hi, do you know if the show in bellmore started yet? thanks

Yes it has, and providing the weather is nice tomorrow I'll be going..

P.S. consistent mid-low 1.3x 60 foots here with no screws, and no glue..

Real McCoy
23rd-April-2010, 08:41 AM
As stated you need to see if your tires are moving. I didn't drill my new rims but prior to buying them all my rims were drilled for the past 35 yrs. When we ran tubes you had to drill them or risk tearing the valve stem out of the tube. I marked my tire to the valve stem and checked for rotation and had very little so I didn't drill the rims. If done properly drilling rims will not cause tires to leak. I marked this set of tires and find them rotating 2 inches a pass. I do not like that and I am now considering rim screws.

77xbody
23rd-April-2010, 09:36 AM
If you drill the rim you need to index were the screw holes are on both sides of the rim(need to be the same).I made a template out of cardboard to line up were the screw holes go on the rim,like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1497/

Vin63
23rd-April-2010, 09:59 AM
Drilling your wheels for rim screws is a good idea to help prevent your tire bead from rotating on the wheel (particularly if you are running tubes), and if you ever get the car out of shape to help prevent folding a slick - especially with a heavy car. When drilled and screws installed properly, you will not have any leaks. I've drilled and installed rim screws in more than 100 sets of wheels for myself and customers - at least 10 sets of those were my wheels - none leaked...even with 16 screws per side. Below is a photo of one of my wheels with an 8-screw pattern per side. If you're unsure about the pattern and where to mark and drill, I can send you my rim screw template that you are welcome to borrow - it's directional and makes it difficult to mess up the job.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj33/vin63/My%201963%20Chevy%20II%20SS/Wheels.jpg

Pro19Nova67
23rd-April-2010, 10:30 AM
One tip, after your wheels are drilled and tires are mounted. You'll want to coat the threads of your screws with vaseline as you screw them into the tire or the friction can cause the screw head to break off.

dukierock
23rd-April-2010, 10:40 AM
We were told by a few people that we should "drill" our slicks down. Moroso, jegs and summit all make a kit for this so it has obvisiouly been done before, but before we got drilling holes in the rims, has anyone ever done this, as oppose to buying a $800 set of beadlocks. What are you thoughts about this, pros/cons, experience, and pics if possible? All would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks
Chris

Hi, I have 2 Novas both in the 9-10 sec bracket and Ive drilled both at home with my Milwaukee 3/8 drill motor. I bought the grade 8 metal screws at my local speed shop Rapp Racing in Huntington Beach. Or at Team C in Bellflower. Drilled both sides and they work fine. If you dont have tubes they may leak. So use a sealant when installing screws. Also Fast Eddie in Orange runs in the 7s and uses a locktite brand sealant but it can be pretty sticky for the tire installer and will make a mess. hope this helps

NOVACA1N
23rd-April-2010, 06:36 PM
I have to laugh at 12 second cars with 18 rim screws per wheel:turn:...You don't need them...It's either none at all, Beadlocks or use Permatex Hi-Tack...Unless you got a real big tire with low psi

radamx2
23rd-April-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi, I have 2 Novas both in the 9-10 sec bracket and Ive drilled both at home with my Milwaukee 3/8 drill motor. I bought the grade 8 metal screws at my local speed shop Rapp Racing in Huntington Beach. Or at Team C in Bellflower. Drilled both sides and they work fine. If you dont have tubes they may leak. So use a sealant when installing screws. Also Fast Eddie in Orange runs in the 7s and uses a locktite brand sealant but it can be pretty sticky for the tire installer and will make a mess. hope this helps

Make sure you use grade 8 screws ...if you don't know where to get them order them from summit or jegs..
I have seen a lot of wheels messed up from useing regular screws.
I have run 8.90's with no screws for years just paint the stripe and keep an eye on things

Gregs72
23rd-April-2010, 09:04 PM
on my 11 second car i had them screwed.....but really the only reason was because the rims were already drilled for it and it looked even dumber being drilled with no screw

74novaKid
23rd-April-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I'm taking the car out tomorrow and I'm going to mark the tire to the valve stem and see where I'm at. Will keep yall updated, thanks
Chris