PROPERLY installing intake manifold gaskets [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: PROPERLY installing intake manifold gaskets

SUPRNOVA
30th-March-2010, 05:04 PM
Any "end all be all" advice on installing Fel Pro 1206 gaskets on aluminum heads/intake? Last time I did it with a bead of RTV between the gaskets and heads, and just made a complete mess and I ended up with an oil leak from the front of the lifter valley. It's been recommended to discard the small sections of gasket that go on the front and back of the lifter valley in favor of RTV/Silicone because they can "slide out of place". Who feels what? I'm going to use some studs to hold the gasket in place and bring the manifold in straight this time, then remove them as I replace them with the bolts.

the FLYER
30th-March-2010, 05:07 PM
can't do it... the bolts are on an angle towards themselves... the intake won't slide over the studs.

Tom Griffin
30th-March-2010, 05:44 PM
I put a VERY LITE layer of "The Right Stuff" around the ports and water jackets on the head side only. Set the intake on gently without putting anything on the end china walls.
Next you can look at all of the bolt holes and make sure the gasket is lined up, if not lift the manifold slightly and adjust it.
Let the manifold set without anything on the manifold side overnight or at least a few hours.
You can then lift the manifold off to make sure everything looks good on the gasket and put a bead of the right stuff on both ends and a very lite layer on the intake manifold ports and bolt it down.
If you ever need to pull it off, use a razor blade to clean it up and some 3m weatherstrip adhesive remover to clean.

Tg

asteeler4life
30th-March-2010, 06:16 PM
I HAVE WENT WITHOUT THE RUBBER PIECES IT COMES WITH AND SUBSTITUTED FOR SEALANT, AS LONG AS YOU PUT A NICE GENEROUS AMOUNT IN THE CORNERS, FRONT AND BACK AND YOU'RE GOOD. SEAT THE GASKET FIRST AND LIKE ONE OF THE OTHER GUYS SAID, JUST SIT THE MANIFOLD ON TOP FOR A FEW HOURS OR OVERNIGHT, THEN INSTALL IT.
JMO:yes:

Ignitrous
30th-March-2010, 06:33 PM
Pretty hard to screw up. Dont use too much RTV around the water ports. I never use more than the thickness of a pencil lead, usually less than that.
Dont use the front/rear gaskets. Just a nice bead of black RTV.
I have noticed that a lot of the felpro gaskets now days have the built in RTV that breaks and seals when you bolt on the intake. The extra grey/black RTV is just for your peace of mind.

nc76novass
30th-March-2010, 06:42 PM
get copper spray and spray gasket, just when it is barely tacky, put on heads. Use blue rtv lay bead from gasket to gasket about 3/16 thick make sure bead starts and ends on gasket "tab". let set about 10 -15 and put intake on. with copper spray and rtv set up time the gasket should remain in place.

Dutch
30th-March-2010, 06:45 PM
I never had a problem with it, I was told a long time ago to let the RTV set for 10 minutes or so to let it become a little sticky, I usually apply it genorously and have yet to have a problem. What I have seen a lot of people do is to rush the install and not allowing the RTV to set, or not putting enough on there.

For me, after I install the intake I just snug the bolts, I let it sit overnight and then I torque them, I run the engine to operating temp. and then I torque them again after it cools.

tnblkc230wz
30th-March-2010, 06:47 PM
I put a very light coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket around the water ports only. I also use a fat bead on the china walls instead of the end gaskets. Set the gasket in place on the head then drop the manifold straigh down. If it moves a little, you can pick it back up and reposition the gasket. Just look down through the bolt holes has you set the manifold on.

406Boy
30th-March-2010, 08:26 PM
Permatex RTV either Black or Copper around all the water jackets and a generous bead on each end and you're all set. It's a simple process. Nothing hard about it!!!!!!!!

Pro19Nova67
30th-March-2010, 09:31 PM
Do you guys really have problems with the rubber end gaskets? I've always used them with a dab of silicone where they meed the intake gasket and a little silicone around the water jackets and its always worked for me. I'm hesitant to use purely silicone on the ends because I'm afraid some will break off and drop into the oil circulation and cause me problems later.

Tom Griffin
30th-March-2010, 10:53 PM
I havent ran the rubber gaskets in so long I cant remember. For me it just easier to lay a bead of sealer.
Tg

tnblkc230wz
30th-March-2010, 11:05 PM
Do you guys really have problems with the rubber end gaskets? I've always used them with a dab of silicone where they meed the intake gasket and a little silicone around the water jackets and its always worked for me. I'm hesitant to use purely silicone on the ends because I'm afraid some will break off and drop into the oil circulation and cause me problems later.

GM uses RTV, not gaskets, on the ends when they assemble the engine.

Paul Wright
30th-March-2010, 11:28 PM
Best of PT archive has a thread on the subject of end seals and RTV:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42973

Lmonkey
31st-March-2010, 12:23 AM
When I put a new manifold on the speed shop sold me a can of edelbrock gasket adhesive.Which after putting the adhesive on allowing it to get tacky the gaskets we're installed.This kept the gaskets from moving when setting the manifold on.Worked really well.For a few bucks it made the job a lot easier.:yes:

SUPRNOVA
31st-March-2010, 02:35 AM
It's a simple process. Nothing hard about it!!!!!!!!

You would be surprised at what I can turn into a difficult task. Main reason I asked though was because my last RTV job apparently wasn't sufficient as I had a leak from the front china wall. I'm letting the gaskets sit overnight with the manifold on top of them and only a layer of black permatex on the head side.

I will pull the manifold and do the rest tomorrow.

BigMike
31st-March-2010, 08:04 PM
Also make sure your gasket and sealing surfaces are clean, clean, clean. Use Brake cleaner. If you touch them with your big old oily fingers, clean 'em again.