How to Cut Oil Gauge line [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: How to Cut Oil Gauge line

taz3
20th-March-2010, 09:33 PM
As the title reads, what the best way to cut the copper line without crushing it being it's so small?:confused:

the FLYER
20th-March-2010, 09:38 PM
tubing cutter, then debur tubing end.

mrtimstik
20th-March-2010, 09:38 PM
Make sure engine is off. How about one of those little tubing cutter thingies plumbers use? Spins around the pipe and you tighten the little wheel thing a little more every lap.

Seattle_Mike
20th-March-2010, 09:42 PM
Die grinder with a thin cutoff tool, then deburring tool.

taz3
20th-March-2010, 11:42 PM
tubing cutter, then debur tubing end.

The line isn't very straight any more where I need to cut it, so I'm not sure I can. I guess I should have mentioned this!:rolleyes:

Die grinder with a thin cutoff tool, then deburring tool.

This should work.

Thanks guys!:yes:

ibuildm
21st-March-2010, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't use copper line for a oil pressure gauge. Eventually it will work harden at the connecdtion on the engine and break off. Go buy a nylon oil pressure line kit and you will never have a problem with it breaking unless you kink it or place it to close to a manifold or header.
Tim

tmoore79
21st-March-2010, 02:16 AM
I wouldn't use copper line for a oil pressure gauge. Eventually it will work harden at the connecdtion on the engine and break off. Go buy a nylon oil pressure line kit and you will never have a problem with it breaking unless you kink it or place it to close to a manifold or header.
Tim

Yeah, I've had those nylon things rupture before. It was 2am and I couldn't figure out why my pants were feeling warm and wet. (get your mind out of the gutter. :devil:) It was oil spraying from under my dash all over my pants, carpet, seat, etc. It ruptured. I now throw those nylon POS in the garbage!!

JeffersonC
21st-March-2010, 02:27 AM
Tim

Your crazy...

Use a small pipe cutter then a light file to debur the end. I have a very small pointed file that i like to file out the hole because it tends to crush closed a little.

65 Post
21st-March-2010, 06:57 AM
Nylon is illegal to use at the track. Copper is better, but too small of an opening. Do the right thing and put some braided #4 line on and be done with it. It's safer and will read much faster than a small copper line. Dave

tony
21st-March-2010, 08:36 AM
Paulie......

Do yourself a BIG favor and DO NOT do copper -OR- nylon...........:no:

When that thin tube gets brittle & breaks., you are DONE.

This is well worth the little extra cost...............:yes:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41058/10002/-1

Rbace123
21st-March-2010, 09:29 AM
Most tubing cutters will not cut line that small and if they do if will distort the inside diameter. The proper way to cut it is to use a file and file a V around the tube then snap it. I know this because I work in the HVAC industry and that is how you cut capillary tubes where the inside diameter is very critical. I also would not use plastic. Not sure about the oil pressure line but I have seen way too many leaks on plastic lines to humidifiers and refrigerator ice makers.

OldGuy 71Acadian
21st-March-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I've had those nylon things rupture before. It was 2am and I couldn't figure out why my pants were feeling warm and wet. (get your mind out of the gutter. :devil:) It was oil spraying from under my dash all over my pants, carpet, seat, etc. It ruptured. I now throw those nylon POS in the garbage!!

That's why your mechanical gauges should be on your cowl. :devil::D

Nylon is illegal to use at the track. Copper is better, but too small of an opening. Do the right thing and put some braided #4 line on and be done with it. It's safer and will read much faster than a small copper line. Dave

Great advice.

Paulie......

Tony for President!

taz3
21st-March-2010, 01:59 PM

That's why it's copper!:yes:

Paulie......

This will be a better choice though!:yes:

the FLYER
21st-March-2010, 02:03 PM
screw it... use your teeth and just BITE through it :eek: :devil: :D

taz3
21st-March-2010, 02:05 PM
screw it... use your teeth and just BITE through it :eek: :devil: :D

They keep coming out when I pull!!:eek::D