Clutch question [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Clutch question

spectsteve7
16th-March-2010, 09:25 AM
Hello all,

I bought a 4-speed, scatter shield bell housing, flywheel, clutch from a family friend who had very little mileage or laps I should say. I have a 72 nova with a 350 which I am putting this into. The clutch is a borg and beck style. I have had other novas and used diaphragm clutch styles in the pass. The intent for this car is a street/autocross/track day car. Other than a more stiffer clutch is there any other down side to using the borg and becks style or anything that will give me problems vs. what I've used in the past?

Thanks in advance.

the FLYER
16th-March-2010, 11:00 AM
the Borg & Beck clutches seem to have a heavier clutch pedal feel to my recollection... i'd beef up the z bar with gussets if that's the style clutch you'll be using.

balljoint
16th-March-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello all,

I bought a 4-speed, scatter shield bell housing, flywheel, clutch from a family friend who had very little mileage or laps I should say. I have a 72 nova with a 350 which I am putting this into. The clutch is a borg and beck style. I have had other novas and used diaphragm clutch styles in the pass. The intent for this car is a street/autocross/track day car. Other than a more stiffer clutch is there any other down side to using the borg and becks style or anything that will give me problems vs. what I've used in the past?

Thanks in advance.

if you are talking about the three finger style ,the clutch may be harder to push,and the throw out bearing my not last as long:eek:

bigdaddykane
16th-March-2010, 12:52 PM
can you get the same holding strength from a diaphram style as a borg n beck just with a softer pedal feel?

the FLYER
16th-March-2010, 12:55 PM
that's what CenterForce claims about their clutch (diaphragm style clutch)

balljoint
16th-March-2010, 01:29 PM
can you get the same holding strength from a diaphram style as a borg n beck just with a softer pedal feel?

Please do your home work and research,to see what would work for you ,there have been many advances in clutch tech in recent years,including the use of hyd clutch systems.:yes: