202 heads verses edelbrock heads [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: 202 heads verses edelbrock heads

topcop5129
21st-February-2010, 01:15 AM
Is there a real difference performance wise between edelbrock performer heads and 202 heads for a chevy small block? I was thinking if I got a set of 202 heads had them ported and and polished with a set of aluminum roller rockers they would give the same increase in h.p. and torque?

D-Man
21st-February-2010, 02:37 AM
Is there a real difference performance wise between edelbrock performer heads and 202 heads for a chevy small block? I was thinking if I got a set of 202 heads had them ported and and polished with a set of aluminum roller rockers they would give the same increase in h.p. and torque?

Which castings? There's only a COUPLE production castings that will even be CLOSE to the 170cc runners.
Will they also need hardened seats?
Will the guides need to be replaced?
Will they need to be machined for scew in studs and guide plates?
Will the guide bosses need to be machined for .500" or .531" seals?
Will the spring pockets need to be machined to accept larger O.D. springs?
Will the pushrod "Slot" need to be enlarged?

Of course all of that on top of the typical clean, mag, surface and valve job costs...:yes:

And I won't mention the obvious weight savings and bling factor of the aluminum head.:rolleyes:

Paul Wright
21st-February-2010, 12:31 PM

Edelbrock heads have 2.02" intake valves also so you need to define what you mean. If you are talking about older "Camel Hump" casting heads then the answer is maybe but at what cost?

Typical 441 camels flow only about 195-205 cfm (I know this from actual testing). 186 flows even less. A an Edelbrock Performer flows about 227 cfm and the RPM version flows abut 236 cfm.

To get the same level of performance and quality you may have to spend $750 to a thousand dollars (or more) in labor. Good head porters aren't cheap. Cheap head porters aren't good. The Edelbrock heads are brand new. The 40 year old camels are not. You'll typically need new guides, new valves, new springs, new seats. All that adds up. Usually $250-$300 per head.

Edelbrocks are the best quality "bolt on" out of the box head I've seen. Never needing additional work. There are even better flowing heads than the Edelbrocks out there but sometimes additional work is required.

SMLBLK66
21st-February-2010, 06:34 PM
i have a set of 492 angle plug GM heads that have all the work stated above minus port work. they are untouched runners. I ran them on my chevelle for about a year and saved up enough money to buy the Eddy RPM heads. after the change the car ran the exact same numbers at the track. nothing else was changed but the heads. so in my personal experience the bling factor and weight savings didnt do anything for me. needless to say i have the 492's on my wifes motor now and that is what will stay on there instead of paying another grand for the same outcome.

bowtie0069
21st-February-2010, 06:40 PM
And then there are guys that bolt on a set of heads with no other changes and shave 6/10's off their E.T.

aron69nova
21st-February-2010, 07:19 PM
And then there are guys that bolt on a set of heads with no other changes and shave 6/10's off their E.T.

Can you help me do this?

D-Man
22nd-February-2010, 12:23 PM
i have a set of 492 angle plug GM heads that have all the work stated above minus port work. they are untouched runners. I ran them on my chevelle for about a year and saved up enough money to buy the Eddy RPM heads. after the change the car ran the exact same numbers at the track. nothing else was changed but the heads. so in my personal experience the bling factor and weight savings didnt do anything for me. needless to say i have the 492's on my wifes motor now and that is what will stay on there instead of paying another grand for the same outcome.

It's all about the combination!! With the wrong cam, intake, tune, etc.....nothing will change, or everything can change.:rolleyes:

If the combination is really worked out for what you have now, then the results of a swap to newer (larger runner volume heads) will be minimal at best.
Then there are those that their combination is SCREAMING for more air......They will see quite a bit different results!!!:yes:

Paul Wright
22nd-February-2010, 12:34 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Building a good engine is not just a laundry list of parts. They all need to function together.

People that swap parts and don't compensate for the change may not get the result they are expecting.

It's all in the total combination of parts. You may only have to change jetting and spark or you may need other parts such as a different camshaft.

D-Man
22nd-February-2010, 04:11 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Building a good engine is not just a laundry list of parts. They all need to function together.

People that swap parts and don't compensate for the change may not get the result they are expecting.

It's all in the total combination of parts. You may only have to change jetting and spark or you may need other parts such as a different camshaft.

BINGO!!!!
Many times, different cylinder heads will have completely different runner sizes and thus different intake "Pulses". Timing those to get optimum performance is quite a black art. There are those who have it mathematically worked out:yes: but they're not talking.:no: What controls when the valves open in order to get the absolute BEST possible vacuum signal up the runner and get the BEST column of air moving?????? THE CAM!!!!

Since MOST people have little to NO understanding of how to work this out (including me), sometimes a head swap will REALLY wake up an engine:eek: and sometimes it turns out not much results:rolleyes: except for the added bling factor.
There are clues that a LOT of people know that can generally be pretty accurate at predicting gains or not, but to try and put actual numbers to it is still a shot in the dark at best.

topcop5129
22nd-February-2010, 10:00 PM
now I really don't know what to do!!! LMAO

bowtie0069
23rd-February-2010, 12:14 AM
Can you help me do this?

Nope.

I shaved the E.T. from 8.30's to 7.60's in the 1/8 with just a head swap, but that was going from stock 76cc iron junk to ported AFR 210's with 64cc chambers that bumped up the compression.

Gregs72
23rd-February-2010, 01:27 AM
on my old drag car with 2.02 camel hump heads all ported and polished it ran a best of 11.92@112mph

put on a set of Performer RPM heads and went 11.48@119

changed the cam and got in the low 11.3

Paul Wright
23rd-February-2010, 10:41 AM
now I really don't know what to do!!! LMAO

It's simple. Follow a dyno proven recipe. Artie's 383 build was documented on this site made a ton of power and torque in a streetable package and runs low 11's in a 3600 lb Camaro.

ganymede
16th-October-2010, 11:38 PM
I enjoy porting iron heads. Its a challenge and done right you get close to aftermarket #s for the STREET (up to .500 lift). Not the same but close enuff. IMO AFR180s are the best street heads out there. Too many guys get 200cc heads and can't win a street race. I'm talkin' sbc, not over 400 c.i.

photoman
16th-October-2010, 11:48 PM
It was refreshing to read Paul's opinion on Edelbrock heads. I've had that same opinion for years. So many get hung up on flow numbers and forget to consider quality. Edelbrock RPM heads are top quality, even if they don't flow as good as the others.

taz3
17th-October-2010, 12:03 AM
The over all combination is critical for compatibility, I've been talking to a lot of engine builders and they all have dyno numbers showing smaller heads making more power, with a particular cam and carb set up.