Line Lock and Two Step [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Line Lock and Two Step

Slick75
3rd-February-2010, 11:15 PM
I want a line lock and two step, i think those are going to be my next upgrades. I just recently went from 2.73 to 3.73 with a 3000 stall and Jesus! It's awesome, I could have never dreamed how much of a difference those two would do after my engine build. Don't regret one bit. Anyhow my question is if I want a two step do I need an ignition box like the 6al-2? Or can I use the two step module with any msd box? Thanks for the help guys.

65 Post
4th-February-2010, 05:41 AM
Are you considering the line lock for your water burnout, or to leave the starting line? Just curious, because you set them up differently for different applications. And yes, the two step is to be used with minimum, 6AL. By you asking about using them both, I think your interested in leaving the line with a button. Is that the case? You may need a higher stall convertor for that, and another line lock. Dave

L78 Nova
4th-February-2010, 08:54 AM
The two step plugs in where the RPM chip is installed so.... you need to start with a box that has an RPM chip. I think it will work on all of them except the digital stuff.

MSD has all their manuals and instructions online for reference.

65 Post
4th-February-2010, 11:58 AM
The minimum you need is a 6AL or a 6T. It won't work on a 5. Dave

Slick75
4th-February-2010, 05:51 PM
i want the line lock and two step for launch control. My stall is the highest I'm going because I still like to drive the car sometimes. I got the 3000 and 3.73 because my cams power band is 3500 to 6500. But all I want it for is my launch, my burnouts are fine. I like the idea of putting in a 3000 rpm module and holding a button and holding the pedal on the floor and leaving the line with the release of the button. Thanks

Slick75
4th-February-2010, 05:57 PM
If I get the 6-al do i have to change my distributor? I have the in-cap style hei distributor.

Thanks for all the help, I did some research and found all the answers to my questions.

65 Post
5th-February-2010, 05:46 AM
It'll work with an HEI. Go on MSD's website and bring up the 6AL and read the instructions. If you want to use a line lock and 2-step to launch, you'll be needing a second line lock hooked to the rear wheels also. You mount that one on the rear housing and wire it to the front. You won't be able to hold the car with just the fronts. You'll also have to wire just the fronts to another button for doing water burnouts. And like I said before, I don't think you'll be able to stall the car to 3000 with the convertor that you have. I know it sounds complicated, but welcome to the world of electronics. And check to see if setting the car up like that is allowed in your tracks rules for your class. Dave

Slick75
5th-February-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm going to look into the rules thing because I think you're right. What about a transbrake and a two step? I see alot of people with that kind of set up. I know it's more expensive but maybe worth it?

65 Post
5th-February-2010, 02:12 PM
A transbrake with a two step is better. But you need a convertor for a brake if you do it, because you will balloon the convertor if you do it with a stock convertor. Dave

aron69nova
5th-February-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a 6-al with a 2 step, line lock, and a digital multi-step retard box!

It can all be done with the correct wiring. In an automatic I would definitely only use a 2-step for the burnout ONLY, and get a trans brake for the launch. A converter is likely to push through the line lock on the launch. A trans brake (I believe) locks the car in 1st and reverse at the same time so it's mostly impossible for the car to even roll unless something is working incorrectly. I have a stickshift car, so I'm in a different category...

65 Post
5th-February-2010, 08:06 PM
You basically hit it on the head. Dave

SuperSport623
7th-February-2010, 11:45 AM
get the 6al2 or the digital 6..... both have the two step built in, no need for chips (rotary dials instead) and the digital 6 has on stage of nitrous retard and start retard built it