Filling torque converter [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Filling torque converter

Lmonkey
25th-January-2010, 02:22 AM
I did a search here and googled it.Should I fill the torque converter before installing on the transmission?How much?:confused:

luepke75
25th-January-2010, 02:35 AM
Yes I have always filled it until fluid comes out when you stand it up to slide it in your tranny. At least thats how I was taught.

Lmonkey
25th-January-2010, 02:50 AM
Yes I have always filled it until fluid comes out when you stand it up to slide it in your tranny. At least thats how I was taught.
Thanks,this seems to be the norm but there is a number of reply's saying no need to.I think I will.:yes:

63nova9sec
25th-January-2010, 03:16 AM
I didnt fill mine up, and it has been a worry of mine.

I hope to just fill all my cooler lines, and fill the pan up to full mark.

If you guys have seen the monster garage where jesse james went to iraq, he ran into this same issue. the military dude didnt fill the converter, like he always does, but jesse said thats what burns them out...

I donno. Im gonna start my car up without priming it, hopefully ill be okay. I figure a little overfill, will get it about just right after it turns over a little.

Lmonkey
25th-January-2010, 03:55 AM
I didnt fill mine up, and it has been a worry of mine.

I hope to just fill all my cooler lines, and fill the pan up to full mark.

If you guys have seen the monster garage where jesse james went to iraq, he ran into this same issue. the military dude didnt fill the converter, like he always does, but jesse said thats what burns them out...

I donno. Im gonna start my car up without priming it, hopefully ill be okay. I figure a little overfill, will get it about just right after it turns over a little.
Tomorrow I'm going to get 3 more opinions.I will post what they say.2 from trans shops and one from my local parts house when I pick up my fluid.The post's I read had mixed results one guy said he worked for a trans shop and they never filled the converters before installing them.When I googled it I got the same answers.:bored:

65 Post
25th-January-2010, 06:46 AM
I can't remember ever NOT putting at least 1/2 a quart of fluid in the convertor before starting the engine. With 1/2 a quart in it, it won't spill out when you install it. Convertors will drain down while sitting for awhile. That's why you check the level with them running. And after you start the engine with a dry convertor, it will still fill up, and you will still need to put a quart or two in to top it off. By putting fluid in the convertor, you will need to put less in to top it off. My opinion. Dave

Slow Nova
25th-January-2010, 07:27 AM
Dont risk it, put some in the converter to prevent a dry start. You wouldnt do that with your engine would you?

tony
25th-January-2010, 09:36 AM

Dont risk it, put some in the converter to prevent a dry start. You wouldnt do that with your engine would you?

^^^ Both are correct., you want to fill it....... :yes:

A SBC converter should hold about 3/4 quart...........

Lmonkey
25th-January-2010, 10:50 PM
I spoke with a reputable owner of a trans shop that's been in business in the same location for over 15 years.He basically said you don't have to.After I told em it's a used tc he said well then it already has fluid in it.:D.He did touch base on a few opinions the members that responded had.He spoke of the fact that some shops ask this question when people bring back bad converters in order to attempt to get out of replacing them saying you damaged it.He said if it was new and never filled it couldn't hurt but as soon as you start it up it will fill and fill fast.He basically said it's a personal opinion but not filling it wouldn't be a problem."L you know how long I've been in business."I asked him about what type of fluid too,he said it all comes from the same drum just has different additives.Fill it and run it.:D.I agree with the opinions of the members who responded too.Thanks for your opinions and I do appreciate every last one of them.That includes you too Tony:yes:Thanks guys.I will put a bit of fluid in it.

Seattle_Mike
25th-January-2010, 11:08 PM
I always pour a quart in, install it, fire the engine and fill it the rest of the way. If it's been used, there is always a little remaining, that's why when you blow a trans or converter they have to cut it apart to get it really cleaned out and checked out. Full ours seems to take about 3 quarts but again, when I put it in, it's only got 1 in it.

batman09
25th-January-2010, 11:14 PM
The way I see it you have nothing to loose by filling it and everything to loose by not doing it(Not that anything would but its better to be safe then sorry)I always do it!!bm

Lmonkey
25th-January-2010, 11:16 PM
I always pour a quart in, install it, fire the engine and fill it the rest of the way. If it's been used, there is always a little remaining, that's why when you blow a trans or converter they have to cut it apart to get it really cleaned out and checked out. Full ours seems to take about 3 quarts but again, when I put it in, it's only got 1 in it.

This has all been good advice and very helpful thanks for all the advice.I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping this trans will give me trouble free use for a while,looking forward to the overdrive and longer road trips at better than 9mpg:eek::eek:

SUPRNOVA
26th-January-2010, 02:06 AM
I filled mine because my ATI directions said in big bold letters, "ensure converter is filled before starting".

adam68nova
20th-April-2010, 01:54 PM
Wished I had filled mine first. I had about 4 hours runtime on mine before i destroyed it and it had not even been pushed hard. I'm in the process of getting another one built now and really wish I would have done it right the first time.

yzair
21st-April-2010, 12:26 AM
I fill mine!

Brent
21st-April-2010, 12:45 AM
I usually pour a quart in them prior to install, then fill the tranny to full line on dip stick.
After start up, run it through the all the gears before driving and recheck fluid level. You will probably have to do this several times before tranny is full, but if not done you will be running it with low fluid level and then you will have problems.
Good luck........ Brent

67Robert
21st-April-2010, 12:48 AM
I heard you don't *have* to prime torque converters either. However, I was told to put 2 qts in and that was easy to do by swishing it around a bit. No leaking either during the install.

Lmonkey
21st-April-2010, 02:06 AM
I heard you don't *have* to prime torque converters either. However, I was told to put 2 qts in and that was easy to do by swishing it around a bit. No leaking either during the install.
A trans shop owner laughed at me when I asked a number of questions regarding transmissions.From priming converter to all this fancy stuff on the market.He said the tc will fill faster than your head can spin don't sweat it.:D(he's been in business over 20 years.)

Seattle_Mike
21st-April-2010, 03:05 AM
A lot of the guys we race with are or have been using John Deere HyGard hydraulic fluid as well as Amsoil Compressor Oil. It tightens up the converter a little too as well as has a very high flashpoint compared to regular trans fluids. We're going to try the compressor oil...will report back on results after the weekend's race.

67Robert
21st-April-2010, 03:26 PM
A trans shop owner laughed at me when I asked a number of questions regarding transmissions.From priming converter to all this fancy stuff on the market.He said the tc will fill faster than your head can spin don't sweat it.:D(he's been in business over 20 years.)

It may be okay either way. However, like someone else mentioned above, if you don't prime the torque converter, then you will lose that much fluid out of your transmission when you first start it and you will have to add it in anyway. So, why not prime it?

I was able to get 2 qts in mine and that's 2 less qts I'll have to add later.
Again, either way may be fine, but I would prefer that my transmission not lose a bunch of fluid immediately when I first start it. :)

D-Man
21st-April-2010, 06:05 PM
I fill all of mine too. Just safe measure.
I also put a tiny bit of Vasoline on the hub to make life easier on the front seal.:yes:

The way I see it, yes, the tranny will fill it in aboout a second when you first start it. But there's needle bearings in some converters to worry about too.:yes:

Your engine will "Self Prime" within the first couple seconds of running too, but you still have to prime it first.:yes:

Just my 2 cents worth.
Good luck!!

Ryan V64SS
21st-April-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't understand why you would ever install it dry, besides not having fluid around when assembling the trans to the motor. Its not gonna hurt anything to put a quart in there, it can only help things. D-Man is right about the needle bearings.

Some guys pre prime a motor before first start up and some just crank it until pressure builds up. Not every time is it gonna cause a problem but why take the chance?