Doug Nash 5 Speed experience? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Doug Nash 5 Speed experience?

fnengineer
18th-January-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a chance to get a doug nash 5 speed (straight cut gears, no syncros) to replace my muncie 4 sp in my 67 Nova.

I am looking for anyone with experience using this tranny. How does it shift? Is it a pain to drive on the street?

Any info is appreciated...

thanks

stock z/28
18th-January-2010, 09:01 PM
Hello,

I have several of these, and they are typically a very strong transmission. Its really a drag race only transmisson.

There are several versions of this trans, using different shafts supports and/or torsion absorption.

Its not a good street trans at all, in my opinion.

You can send the gears to Liberty (call first) and they will convert them to a face tooth style engagement, and that may work "ok" for some street type driving?

Nova SS 67
18th-January-2010, 09:55 PM
Like he said. I use to use these in my drag cars. They shift great but you cant baby them into gear. You cant downshift. No good for street.

fnengineer
18th-January-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info.

nukledragger
19th-January-2010, 02:22 AM
Like he said. I use to use these in my drag cars. They shift great but you cant baby them into gear. You cant downshift. No good for street.

I agree. I also have several of them. Great at the strip, very difficult (but not impossible) to drive on the street.

ND

The Big Al
21st-January-2010, 01:23 AM
The Doug Nash 4-or 5 speed with straight cut gears and no syncos is called a pro shifted transmission.

This trans would last about 5 min on the street. And noisy as hell.

A pro shift trans must be used under power. You use the clutch to disengage the gear and you physically pull it as hard as you can for the next gear.

When I was running it we used a Long Shifter, (Brand) they could take the punishment of the hard shift.

If you do not force the gear in, and mis or grind the gear you must dissemble the trans and be-bur the cogs, (if they are still there)

This is a forward acceleration transmission. You even let off the gas to cost and you can rip some parts.

The transmission was! DRAG RACE ONLY!!!!!!!!

They did make a street version 4 & 5 speed syncro transmission.

FYI
AL

I have a friend who might want it for a spare, he is thinking of running the nostalgia gear jammer races.

stock z/28
21st-January-2010, 01:32 AM
Hi Al,

I have driven several Doug Nashes on the street "playing around" and I didn't have any real trouble shifting them easily as long as it was quick and an up shift. It didn't have to be real harsh.

No down shifts though.

I have a couple of BW T10Ss that I use on occasion that are pro shifted but are just standard angled gears, and they are not a great street trans either, but are fun to drive.

I really like the Doug Nash 5 speeds.