New Tremec Shifter [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: New Tremec Shifter

L78 Nova
21st-December-2009, 10:34 PM
Anyone with any info on the new improved Tremec shifter with adjustable center gate bias ?? I'm assuming they devised this to fix the third gear miss shift issues. Do any of the aftermarket TKO shifters have this ? I know the Pro 5.0 does not... just bought one... may have been a little too quick on the draw.

Thanks for the input, Gary

scherp69
22nd-December-2009, 07:16 AM
If you look at page 22 of my build thread...I have a picture of the new Tremec shifter. I can take more pics if you want. Here's what Keisler told me about the new updated shifter: The new Tremec shifter is lower profile and has spring biasing adjustment. It also make provisions for the 2-3 shift. I will try and take some more pics later in the day and post them. My TKO 600 didn't come stock with this as I got mine a couple years ago. I got the shifter directly from Keisler.

63chevytoo
22nd-December-2009, 08:43 AM
The tremec shifting problems are internal. No shifter will correct the internal workings of the transmission. Shifting the moving mass of the internal gears will still be a problem over 5000 rpm.
Some of the after market shifters already have a stiffer gate bias. That will not correct the internal characteristics of the trans.
But if you are not going to race or run it to the max you will like the transmission. The OD is great.....

Don

L78 Nova
22nd-December-2009, 03:28 PM
I've been all over inside mine... the shifter controls the internal "selector finger" only. The selector finger is the piece that moves between the rail "gates" and pushes/pulls the rails to select gears.

Adjusting the shifter bias from side to side may allow the selector finger to be adjusted to center or to favor one side or the other. The way these are manufactured now there is definitely tolerance there. ie. with the shifter in neutral, the selector finger is not likely in the middle of the "window".

What would really be interesting is to learn if someone who's had the famous third gear miss problem has been able to correct it using this. I agree with you totally on the high RPM shift problem but I think the majority of the missing third issue is the finger missing the gate.

My TKO is faceplated by liberty... shifts instantly but I've had to re-work a lot of the internal mechanism to catch fourth.

scherp69
22nd-December-2009, 05:18 PM
Here's some more pics of the new shifter. Not exactly sure what you were looking for, so just took a few:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd68/scherp69/P1000135.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd68/scherp69/P1000136.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd68/scherp69/P1000137.jpg

L78 Nova
22nd-December-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the pics. So the allen bolts are adjustable to increase (or reduce)the force on each side individually ? What did it cost ? Looks like I may end up with three shifters.

Anyone used one yet ??

By the way Mike your car is awesome.... I been watchin too.
Thanks,
Gary

Len66
22nd-December-2009, 10:38 PM
My tko 600 that i just installed came with that shifter. They had nothing in the instructions about how to adjust the shifter. I have had no problem with the 2-3 shift.

Len