Bench seat to bucket conversion [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Bench seat to bucket conversion

spectsteve7
6th-December-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi All,

My car originally had a bench seat from the factor and I'm building my car to be a street/autocross car. I purchased a racing seat and a bucket style passenger seat. From what I've seen from other posts the factory buckets had center sections that tied over the tranny hump. My question is there a best practice for this conversion. Can you just drill thew the floors and make use of large washers with bolts to keep the seats from pulling out? Any advice or pictures would be a big help. Thanks.

nova_me1970
6th-December-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure the engineers at GM reinforced the floor for a good reason. I'd be inclined to do the same.

spectsteve7
7th-December-2009, 08:33 AM
I see ground up restoration has a set of bench to bucket conversion brackets. Does anyone have any project build pictures of these in place?

L78steve
7th-December-2009, 12:33 PM
You would do best to find originals from a donor car. The aftermarket types don't have the over the tunnel piece. I do see the correct mounts on ebay from time to time.

justsomeguy
8th-December-2009, 12:49 PM
I just got thru converting one of our 69 novas from bench to buckets.
We used original bracing from a donor car. The car is for my wife and will be used as a daily driver. I did not want to take a chance on anything happening if any of the family were in an accident.
I have a factory bucket seat car so I was able to measure and duplicate eveything exactly. I have all the measurements and can get pics if you need them. I also put in the factory 4 speed hump so I could put in the console if you need those measurements. The aftermarket bucket seat mount pack has the correct outer brace/mounting pieces if you would need them, but you will have to get the two over the hump braces from a donor car. (Might be year specific), I believe 72 Nova is different from earlier years. Check it out first.
Also I found out that I could have used a set of Chevelle bucket seat tracks on my Nova buckets (less money). The only difference is the Chevelle seat tracks are that they are a tiny bit longer and so are the floor bolt holes. I could have just welded in the mounts to match that tiny difference. Figured that out to late!!! Another plus is that if you are a tall person you can weld in the mounts a little farther back for the extra leg room. "Be safe my friend"
If I can help let me know.

spectsteve7
11th-December-2009, 11:15 AM
Thank you very much for the input. I'm deciding to fab up my own anchors based on someone else s post I saw. They weren't very over whelming and I think the should hold up fine.

Since the brackets are within the area of the bench mounting points I will always have that option available should I ever need to get it back to factory seats.

Greg_R_63
11th-December-2009, 11:28 AM
Thank you very much for the input. I'm deciding to fab up my own anchors based on someone else s post I saw. They weren't very over whelming and I think the should hold up fine.

Since the brackets are within the area of the bench mounting points I will always have that option available should I ever need to get it back to factory seats.

I might want to do this myself one day. What post are you referring to?

spectsteve7
19th-February-2010, 10:01 AM
This is a bit dated but thought my solution might be helpful to someone.

http://stephenbotsford.com/nova/seatmounts/01.jpg
http://stephenbotsford.com/nova/seatmounts/02.jpg

Stuntman Mike
19th-February-2010, 11:31 AM
I just bought these.

http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&productId=37114&productSearchCatalogId=2

I don't have my new floors welded in yet, so I don't know how good they are. I figure I might have to "customize" them a bit...aka, cutting, bending, smashing to get them to fit.

NovaLord71
18th-December-2010, 07:20 PM
i have the same problem on my 71 but i am using 67 camaro seats does any body have a suggestions on the bottom piece of the floors do i need any special adapters for the seats to sit right?

Philip
18th-December-2010, 08:44 PM
I pulled these from a 1980 Buick Regal for the 79 Buick project. The split bench seats are much heavier than buckets. The gauge of the metal is the same as the floor. The holes are where the spot welds were drilled out and the bent edges are from prying them off the floor. They would be easy to fabricate to the height needed and then welded in.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/64elcamino/Buick%20Regal%20project/bucketseatmounts.jpg