Camaro LS brake swap 1st and 2nd gen [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Camaro LS brake swap 1st and 2nd gen

Pages : [1] 2

VooDooII
14th-October-2009, 01:14 PM
I know the info is out there, but I am really interested in this swap:yes: anyone that has tried it please chime in, I know what is needed I just want to know what road blocks there are, I here that wheel spacers are necessary and certain wheels will work:eek:please help:D

TomM
14th-October-2009, 02:20 PM
How about a corvette brake swap instead.......:D

T,

VooDooII
14th-October-2009, 02:31 PM
How about a corvette brake swap instead.......:D

T,

Was thinking of that also, but parts for the 12" camaro stuff is much cheaper

jonnyc
14th-October-2009, 09:16 PM
it's a very easy swap to do.ther rears,all you need to do is space the backing plate off the housing about 1/8".hooking up th e-brake will take some thought.since i have an auto i haven't done the e-brake yet.
the fronts,i would recommend buying a bracket thats already made.i ended up make 3 brackets before i got it right.
if you run the brake booster you will need to do some fabrication work on the firewall and modify the end of the booster to attach to the brake pedal.nothing to hard.
i'm running 17" wheels so i have no clearance issues.i've heard of guys running 15" wheels with these brakes but the fins on the calipers need to be ground off.most 16" and larger wheels should fit.

67rsss6spd
15th-October-2009, 12:08 AM
Search on ls1tech.com pro-touring.com camaros.net . The biggest problem I'm having is finding 15" that fit 15x6 rallys don't. Even some 15x3 1/2 requiring caliper grinding.Lots of talk in the wheel section on ls1tech about this.

VooDooII
15th-October-2009, 01:55 AM
Search on ls1tech.com pro-touring.com camaros.net . The biggest problem I'm having is finding 15" that fit 15x6 rallys don't. Even some 15x3 1/2 requiring caliper grinding.Lots of talk in the wheel section on ls1tech about this.

what about 16in rallys will they work?

3DTim
15th-October-2009, 11:06 AM
The BAER setup on my car are just Corvett brakes and it is all there ready to go.

VooDooII
15th-October-2009, 12:33 PM
The BAER setup on my car are just Corvett brakes and it is all there ready to go.

Not in my budget, I priced the 12" camaro brakes at my parts store and the total comes to 410.47 front and rear then I need master, brake lines and mounting hardware and away I go.

67rsss6spd
16th-October-2009, 09:28 PM
look around junk yards ect,got mine for $280. complete fronts and rear,best part the guy didn't want pull the axles to get the backing plates off.So he gave me the complete rear,which i turned around and sold for $250.

My research says most 16" rims will work but not all. I think I'm going to turn down the OD of the rotors from 12" to 11 1/2 " which should clear all 15" rims.

jonnyc
16th-October-2009, 09:40 PM
if you want to run 15" wheels,i would get the lt1 brakes.

1964novass
17th-October-2009, 10:32 AM
I did this a while back. It is easy to do! If you are into the pro-touring look it is perfect. You do need to run at least a 16" wheel though. All you need to do is have the upper mounting boss on the stock spindles milled down so it is even with the lower holes. (Easy, any machine shop can do this or yourself if you have a mill). Then you can buy a set of drilled and slotted LS1 rotors on ebay. When you get them, you will have to take your stock hubs and have them turned down on the outside edge so that they fit into the LS1 rotors. (again, easily done on a lathe) You are also going to want to get new wheel studs. The length will depend on the wheels you are running. Then, you are also going to want to pick up a set of LS1 calipers from a local bone yard or ebay. They are cheap. Now, the key to the whole deal is the caliper mounting bracket. I have a diagram of this. All you have to do is print it out to the scale that I have on the image. This bracket should be made out of .250" steel plate. You could probably use aluminum too if you wanted. Then you can pick up grade 8 hardware to mount the plate to the spindle and then, put on your hub, slip on the rotor and then bolt on the caliper to the plate! The holes in the rotor might be larger than the diameter of you wheel studs, no big deal. You can check out my pictures of it and get the diagram for the caliper mounting bracket at this address.
http://www2.enter.net/photoalbum/ind...ername=yodacat
If you have any questions, let me know.
Good Luck,
Luke

TSmith
9th-November-2009, 11:17 AM
Will this Camaro/vette kit change the factory wheel offset on a 2nd gen?

Nova 404
9th-November-2009, 11:26 AM
I would be 1/8 or so wider than a drum brake due to the difference in thickness between the drum and the rotor.This is about 1/2 inch narrower than most Chevelle based front disc conversions.Maske sure your wheels will clear the brakes,on the LS tyle of brake the caliper hangs out past the wheel mounting location and may cause issues with wheel fitment depending on style of the existing wheel.If you add a wheel spacer most any 16+ wheels will fit but kind of defetes the zero offset effect.

VooDooII
9th-November-2009, 11:26 AM
Will this Camaro/vette kit change the factory wheel offset on a 2nd gen?

Not much if any

VooDooII
9th-November-2009, 11:27 AM
I did this a while back. It is easy to do! If you are into the pro-touring look it is perfect. You do need to run at least a 16" wheel though. All you need to do is have the upper mounting boss on the stock spindles milled down so it is even with the lower holes. (Easy, any machine shop can do this or yourself if you have a mill). Then you can buy a set of drilled and slotted LS1 rotors on ebay. When you get them, you will have to take your stock hubs and have them turned down on the outside edge so that they fit into the LS1 rotors. (again, easily done on a lathe) You are also going to want to get new wheel studs. The length will depend on the wheels you are running. Then, you are also going to want to pick up a set of LS1 calipers from a local bone yard or ebay. They are cheap. Now, the key to the whole deal is the caliper mounting bracket. I have a diagram of this. All you have to do is print it out to the scale that I have on the image. This bracket should be made out of .250" steel plate. You could probably use aluminum too if you wanted. Then you can pick up grade 8 hardware to mount the plate to the spindle and then, put on your hub, slip on the rotor and then bolt on the caliper to the plate! The holes in the rotor might be larger than the diameter of you wheel studs, no big deal. You can check out my pictures of it and get the diagram for the caliper mounting bracket at this address.
Good Luck,
Luke

Thanks for the info, what master did you use? and did you do the rears.

TSmith
9th-November-2009, 02:53 PM
I have a 9" booster and a 1.125 bore master, does anyone know if these will work with the ls brakes? Are the Camaro and the Trans Am brakes the same? From what I have found the appear to be the same...

VooDooII
9th-November-2009, 03:07 PM
I have a 9" booster and a 1.125 bore master, does anyone know if these will work with the ls brakes? Are the Camaro and the Trans Am brakes the same? From what I have found the appear to be the same...

1998-2002 Z/28 and Trans Am are all the same, not sure abut your master, do you have for wheel disc now?

TSmith
9th-November-2009, 03:23 PM
1998-2002 Z/28 and Trans Am are all the same, not sure abut your master, do you have for wheel disc now?
I have not replaced the drums yet.
I have the booster and master already..I found a steal on it. I have been trying to decide which brake kit to get. Ive looking at this swap pretty seriously.

sixty4sedan
9th-November-2009, 03:45 PM
Good Luck,
Luke

could not get the link to work...

VooDooII
9th-November-2009, 04:10 PM
I have not replaced the drums yet.
I have the booster and master already..I found a steal on it. I have been trying to decide which brake kit to get. Ive looking at this swap pretty seriously.

Stay tuned, we should be getting pix up in about a month:yes::yes:

nrvbox
9th-November-2009, 06:51 PM
couldn't work the link either,could you allow another member to post it. thanks, mat

Necro
9th-November-2009, 08:44 PM
i did the ls1 brake swap as described above with the same bracket. made the whole thing for $50 bucks. parts from the bone yard. my problem was not the caliper top rubbing the rim but the caliper being to wide and hitting the rims mounting hub. the offset of a camaro wheel is deeper than a regular rim , so a 1/2 spacer fixed it , but then the rim was to far out and rubbed the front of the fender on turns. i am running 15 x 5 welds. so i just went back to the 3rd gen disc brakes i had. .

the ls1 swap is really nice and light too.

theomms
10th-November-2009, 03:26 AM
Not sure if this is too late but...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-12-bolt-GM-rear-disc-Conversion-kit-ls1-big-brakes_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca7169479QQitem Z260501312633QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories

TSmith
10th-November-2009, 08:28 AM
Here is the link to the bracket drawing....
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52621&page=2

nrvbox
10th-November-2009, 12:55 PM
thanks,...has anyone put theese on a 9" (large bearing)?

TSmith
10th-November-2009, 09:46 PM
Good Luck,
Luke

Luke,
Do you know if someone could use 3/16 instead of 1/4 plate to get a smaller offset?

nrvbox
10th-November-2009, 10:14 PM
i'd trust in the church on that one.:yes:

dodgy canuck
11th-November-2009, 11:28 AM
Mind if I chime in with a question or two?

I am using 15" IROC rims on my '66 and am also looking to upgrade to manual discs... I am wondering if the IROC spindles, calipers etc. would work? There aren't a whole bunch of scrap yards around here that have LS1 stuff kicking around (or for a reasonable price).

Also, would the split master from a '67 work for the disc/drum combo?

Cheers!

1964novass
12th-November-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry guys,
I have missed this for a while! Here is the link again.
http://www2.enter.net/photoalbum/index.pl?action=index_main&username=yodacat
As far as the master cylinder. I used a regular late 60's Corvette style mc. Brakes worked fine. I did not do the rear LS conversion. I instead put Ford Explorer brakes on mine because I have a 9 in rear.
As far as the whole talk about how far out the wheels are from the brakes, I didn't notice any issue with my wheels being out too far. It all performed and worked great for me. I ran 17" torque thrist II wheels. You have to use at least a 16 wheel with these brakes. These brakes are not that light though. They weigh 67 pounds with stock steel hubs. That is why I took them off and now have Wilwoods. Wilwoods are half the weight. But, I drag rack my car often and that means alot. If you just cruise, then it doesn't matter.

PS stick with the 1/4" plate for the bracket. As far as spacing and safety it is a must.

nrvbox
12th-November-2009, 10:44 PM
Mind if I chime in with a question or two?

I am using 15" IROC rims on my '66 and am also looking to upgrade to manual discs... I am wondering if the IROC spindles, calipers etc. would work? There aren't a whole bunch of scrap yards around here that have LS1 stuff kicking around (or for a reasonable price).

Also, would the split master from a '67 work for the disc/drum combo?

Cheers!

spindles wont ,but calipers and rotors might.

VooDooII
26th-December-2009, 10:49 PM
Sorry for the delay but heres my wifes rear:D

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/voodooII/DSCF2036.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/voodooII/DSCF2036.jpg

about 350.00 for the brake conversion give or take a couple of bucks:yes::yes::cool:

schweiss1966
26th-December-2009, 10:53 PM
Does your wife know you put a pic of her uncovered rear on the internet, lol:D

VooDooII
26th-December-2009, 11:56 PM
Does your wife know you put a pic of her uncovered rear on the internet, lol:D

:D:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Coursey
27th-December-2009, 11:57 AM
about 350.00 for the brake conversion give or take a couple of bucks:yes::yes::cool:

Is that for the front and rear?

sixty4sedan
27th-December-2009, 01:33 PM
could you post a side picture of the caliper mounting area along with the backing plate

VooDooII
27th-December-2009, 01:49 PM
Is that for the front and rear?

Just the rear, the fronts are cheap also, I sourced the front calipers for 56.00 at a local parts store the cross drill rotors are 80.00 on ebay and Mr Church is working on caliper mounting brackets.

VooDooII
27th-December-2009, 01:56 PM
could you post a side picture of the caliper mounting area along with the backing plate

this is so simple it's not even funny, once you have your doaner parts 1998-2002 camaro z/28 or ss, you will need the spacer plate that goes in between the rear housing and backing plate, you can get these from www.BRPHHOTRODS.COM they are 40.00 it then is a simple bolt on. I will try to get picks latter

sixty4sedan
27th-December-2009, 02:44 PM
Very nicely done... just to fix the link in the post above its www.brphotrods.com
Are the front caliper mounting brackets that Mr. Chruch is making going to be for the oem spindles or...? Thanks for the great info

Nova 404
27th-December-2009, 04:21 PM
They will be designed around a stock spindle to start and then see if the can be made to work with a drop spindle.

sixty4sedan
27th-December-2009, 11:02 PM
mmm... just got a hold of the shims and complete rear brake set up... now I need to get my butt in gear and get the rest of the parts so I can get them installed.

VooDooII
27th-December-2009, 11:12 PM
mmm... just got a hold of the shims and complete rear brake set up... now I need to get my butt in gear and get the rest of the parts so I can get them installed.

Good for you, the rears are easy, stay tuned for the complete install, what are you planning for wheels?

63bfannin
27th-December-2009, 11:33 PM
I am seriously considering this swap as well for the front manual drums on my 63. Hey VooDooII do you know of anyone that would mill the spindles and take down the hubs near the south bay?

Also I wonder if this conversion will fit inside a 16x7" wheel with 4 3/8" BS??

thanks.

VooDooII
28th-December-2009, 12:28 AM
Any machine shop could handle this (very straight forward) as far as 16 in wheels you will have to do some home work, I,m running 17in Billet Specialties Dyno G's and they will clear the caliper with no problems.

sixty4sedan
28th-December-2009, 08:53 AM
I am still up in the air about what wheels I am going to run, What are the specs on the wheels your running so I can come close... Id really like to run 02 camaro ss wheels but they're 9" wide and Im not about ready to go fabbin that far....

1badnov
28th-December-2009, 11:39 AM
I am still up in the air about what wheels I am going to run, What are the specs on the wheels your running so I can come close... Id really like to run 02 camaro ss wheels but they're 9" wide and Im not about ready to go fabbin that far....

Try http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/index-2.html They will narrow your wheels.

1slonova
28th-December-2009, 04:22 PM
thanks for posting all of this joe, as you know this job is in my near future:cool:

63bfannin
28th-December-2009, 10:19 PM
thanks for posting all of this joe, as you know this job is in my near future:cool:

Yes thanks Joe. If anyone (1slonova?) is planing to do this soon I'd love to help so I can do my own next.

VooDooII
28th-December-2009, 11:02 PM
Yes thanks Joe. If anyone (1slonova?) is planing to do this soon I'd love to help so I can do my own next.

As soon as I have all the parts needed we will be doing the install at someones house with a lift:D:D

sixty4sedan
30th-December-2009, 03:14 PM
I forgot to ask this before but are you using the origional brake line diameter for this or...? What brake master cylider are you going to use? Older corvette or...?

VooDooII
30th-December-2009, 03:50 PM
I forgot to ask this before but are you using the origional brake line diameter for this or...? What brake master cylider are you going to use? Older corvette or...?

I am running the right stuff 66-67 front and front to rear brake lines and they're master and power booster and proportioning valve for 4 wheel disc. you can run the corvette manual disc master also but I want power for the wifes car. c

NOGO
30th-December-2009, 04:51 PM

Your brake line diameter wont make a difference.:no:

777ER
31st-December-2009, 03:55 PM
Not sure if you know about this but there is a difference between the LS1 Camaro/Firebird brake calipers and the Corvettes.

Both are made by PBR in Australia

Other than the appearance and the powder coat and the corvette lettering in the corvette verison calipers. The corvette calipers are pressure casted while the camaro/firebrid brake calipers are gravity cased.

This does have a effect on the pad spread issue the camaro/firebird calipers have a problem with.

Yet they're both direct swaps.

63bfannin
1st-January-2010, 11:04 PM
After looking at the back of my wheels...the hub mount is only about 1/4" further out from the back wheel face(spokes). If the caliper sticks out past the flush mount point on the hub I think I am going to have issues doing this swap. Anyone with the LS brakes know if the caliper does in fact stick out past this point, and how much?

Ryan V64SS
2nd-January-2010, 12:47 AM
After looking at the back of my wheels...the hub mount is only about 1/4" further out from the back wheel face(spokes). If the caliper sticks out past the flush mount point on the hub I think I am going to have issues doing this swap. Anyone with the LS brakes know if the caliper does in fact stick out past this point, and how much?

Might have to get new wheels, if I remember correctly I liked your rallys and want to buy them if you can't use them:D

sixty4sedan
6th-January-2010, 10:05 PM
any update on the front caliper brackets?

Ryan V64SS
6th-January-2010, 10:16 PM
Your brake line diameter wont make a difference.:no:

I believe that a larger brake line is needed when going from small wheel cylinders (drum brakes) to larger multi piston calipers, and a larger bore M/C. Sure the pressure will not be affected by diameter but the flow will, and with a small diameter tube there can be more resistence felt at the pedal, and a delay in brake application / release. Not a good thing.

Just a thought

VooDooII
6th-January-2010, 10:16 PM
any update on the front caliper brackets?

We did some mach up last weekend, this weekend we will do more and should have something in the next couple of weeks :yes:

sixty4sedan
6th-January-2010, 11:08 PM
I believe that a larger brake line is needed when going from small wheel cylinders (drum brakes) to larger multi piston calipers, and a larger bore M/C. Sure the pressure will not be affected by diameter but the flow will, and with a small diameter tube there can be more resistence felt at the pedal, and a delay in brake application / release. Not a good thing.

Just a thought

thats what I thought and why I had asked the question...

voodoo great work looking forward to it...

NOGO
7th-January-2010, 02:21 PM

Just a thought

The fluid travel is very small and the fluid flow does not affect braking to any measurable extent. The resistance at the pedal is directly related to the piston input and output bore sizes, not the line size. The only delay in brake application and release is from your foot.

sixty4sedan
20th-January-2010, 02:17 PM
any updates on the fronts?

VooDooII
20th-January-2010, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=sixty4sedan;1279009]any updates on the fronts?[/QUOTE

The revised Bracket is in the mail, and my wifes wheels will be here tomorrow, tires mounted Friday or Saturday (that is if anyone has what I'm looking for in stock) and Sunday we will do a test fit. :yes::yes:

sixty4sedan
20th-January-2010, 07:48 PM
right on cant wait to see the outcome

1964novass
20th-January-2010, 08:18 PM
Sorry guys, I didn't realize my stupid link was not working again for my pictures. Here are the pics.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/yodacat/190285.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/yodacat/537727.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/yodacat/490291.JPG
Read my post on the first page of this threat for details. When you print off the caliper bracket picture, scale it so that the line that I drew on the picture is 4" long. That should get you really close!
Luke

jmdc
20th-January-2010, 09:02 PM
Looking good Joe! I can't wait to see the finished product! You might be setting a trend!

-Justin

67 church
21st-January-2010, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=sixty4sedan;1279009]any updates on the fronts?[/QUOTE

The revised Bracket is in the mail, and my wifes wheels will be here tomorrow, tires mounted Friday or Saturday (that is if anyone has what I'm looking for in stock) and Sunday we will do a test fit. :yes::yes:

Sorry guys, I didn't realize my stupid link was not working again for my pictures. Here are the pics.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/yodacat/190285.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/yodacat/537727.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/yodacat/490291.JPG
Read my post on the first page of this threat for details. When you print off the caliper bracket picture, scale it so that the line that I drew on the picture is 4" long. That should get you really close!
Luke

The reason for the revision on the brackets is because with a 2" drop spindle the caliper has a very good possibility of making contact with the upper control arm, therefore we are re locating some holes that will make the bracket work for both dropped and standard height spindles.

sixty4sedan
21st-January-2010, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=VooDooII;1279083]

The reason for the revision on the brackets is because with a 2" drop spindle the caliper has a very good possibility of making contact with the upper control arm, therefore we are re locating some holes that will make the bracket work for both dropped and standard height spindles.

thats awesome... I was worried Id have to just do springs only and not be able to lower via drop spindles... good work
any idea on what the bracket is going to go for?

sixty4sedan
25th-January-2010, 02:26 PM
with this swap waht is everyone running for brake boosters and maters? would the oe setup from the camaro/ firehawk work or..?

LIL NOVE
25th-January-2010, 02:45 PM
dont forget to post the time & place for this swap.... i would like to give a hand in this & see the whole swap in person..... so where & when is this happenin....???? good job Joe!!!

LIL JOHN

VooDooII
25th-January-2010, 04:15 PM
dont forget to post the time & place for this swap.... i would like to give a hand in this & see the whole swap in person..... so where & when is this happenin....???? good job Joe!!!

LIL JOHN

Time to be determined, I will let you know, we already have a group for the install but could always use an extra set of hands we will keep the number down to 5-6 people so we don't get in each others way:D:D

jmdc
25th-January-2010, 04:55 PM
Time to be determined, I will let you know, we already have a group for the install but could always use an extra set of hands we will keep the number down to 5-6 people so we don't get in each others way:D:D

Don't worry I won't be in the way. I will sit back by the cooler with the coronas. Just holla when you need one! :devil:

Nice thread Joe, I can't wait to see the wagon when its done!

-Justin

1964novass
25th-January-2010, 07:24 PM
When I had these brakes on my car I just used the old late 60's Corvette style master cylinder. Worked great! I had a set of Ford Explorer disks on the rear. You could use a number of master cylinders though. The big thing is getting one that has a bore around 1". A tiny bit over or under 1" would be fine. That will give you enough volume and the proper pressure for good brake feel. The Corvette style master cylinder I think is 15/16" if I remember correctly. The other important thing to consider is what rear brakes you are running. There are math formulas on the web that you can use to determine what size bore MC you need to produce enough pressure and volume that would satisfy the total wheel cylinder and caliper piston amount that you have. In other words, you have to add up the total wheel cylinder and caliper piston volume you have and plug that into the formula to determine what size bore you need on your master cylinder. :D

sixty4sedan
26th-January-2010, 12:29 AM
the plans are camaro front and rear disk brakes... hopefully powered by a ls1 which Ill pull vac off to run the booster... but I did not know how many of these parts are interchangeable

VooDooII
1st-February-2010, 01:10 AM
Just completed the brake swap today, the brakes work awesome:yes::yes: will post pictures soon, thanks Chuck Church for your perseverance and thank you Brian for the use of your shop, Denise will be very happy:D:D this has got to be one of the baddest 62 wagon's in existence:cool::cool:

jmdc
1st-February-2010, 01:24 AM
Just completed the brake swap today, the brakes work awesome:yes::yes: will post pictures soon, thanks Chuck Church for your perseverance and thank you Brian for the use of your shop, Denise will be very happy:D:D this has got to be one of the baddest 62 wagon's in existence:cool::cool:

And your not even done! :eek::no:

-Justin

klean63
1st-February-2010, 01:29 AM

When ya have time, pictures and details/part #'s would be great

Nova 404
1st-February-2010, 12:32 PM
Here is a picture of the Chuch Boys Racing LS1 caliper bracket
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/Car%20show%20pictures/2009%20Nova%20Nationals/NorCal%20events/DSC01987.jpg
Here is a picture of it on a drop spindle,it does require a little relief to be ground into the spindle to clear the caliper bolt.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/Car%20show%20pictures/2009%20Nova%20Nationals/NorCal%20events/DSC01985.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/for%20sale/spindlemod.jpg
It will aslo work with stock spindles,yes the lower mounting bolt is behind the steering arm.It will go together this way with no problems.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/for%20sale/DSC01910.jpg
The caliper has been relocated to clear to avoid contact when using tubular upper arms.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/for%20sale/caliperclearanceCPPfulllock.jpg
So far they will work with both drop spindles and OEM drum brake spindles,should be adaptable to OEM disc spindles with the proper spacer.Also they work with both 64-67 steering arms and CBR billet steering arms

Coursey
1st-February-2010, 12:47 PM
How far, if any, does this kit move the wheels out (in relation to where a stock drum brake would be at)?

Nova 404
1st-February-2010, 12:56 PM
Since it uses a drum brake hub,I would guess about 1/8 to 3/16.Basicly the difference in thickness between a brake drum and tha Camaro disc.

gwf7782
1st-February-2010, 01:37 PM
so how much are the brackets?

Nova 404
1st-February-2010, 01:43 PM
You would have to contact Church Boys Racing for pricing and availability

www.churchboysracing.com
330-442-7162

sixty4sedan
1st-February-2010, 07:31 PM
I installed my rear caliper assembly this weekend and am waiting on the release of the front caliper bracket. It was a very straight foward install and easy...

nova404 what are the specs for your wheels?

nova656567
1st-February-2010, 07:45 PM
Since it uses a drum brake hub,I would guess about 1/8 to 3/16.Basicly the difference in thickness between a brake drum and tha Camaro disc.

The normal rule of thumb for drum to disc is 1/4" but obviously it will vary depending on whose and what rotor a person is using.

67 church
1st-February-2010, 11:23 PM
O.K. the question that has not been asked or mentioned. With most of these kits you read how a spacer was used to move the wheel away from the caliper. Joe, how much clearance did the Dyno G's provide when it was bolted up?

Nova 404
1st-February-2010, 11:24 PM
The wheels are 17x7 with 4 3/4 back spacing.4 1/2 would work fine as well.Not sure what steering you are using,stock works fine with the 4 3/4,if your using the Church Boys Racing rack conversion the tie rod ends will hit the inside of the wheels.CBR has a different steering arm spacer to resolve this issue.

Nova 404
1st-February-2010, 11:34 PM
Great,Now you have to ask this.the car left the house 3 hours ago:o

sixty4sedan
1st-February-2010, 11:56 PM
did the install really take that long? or was the owner late for the test drive?

Nova 404
2nd-February-2010, 12:01 AM
We did a lot of work,see the NorCal weekend project thread in the southwest section.we had an elecrical gremlin that set us back.The front conversion should not take more than a few hours,its pretty simple.

VooDooII
2nd-February-2010, 12:04 AM
O.K. the question that has not been asked or mentioned. With most of these kits you read how a spacer was used to move the wheel away from the caliper. Joe, how much clearance did the Dyno G's provide when it was bolted up?

Chuck these wheels work perfect, there is roughly 1/2 inch clearance between the caliper and the spoke:D

sixty4sedan
2nd-February-2010, 12:08 AM
voodoo> whats your overall impression of the install? A better bang for the buck over the 1300+ kits?

VooDooII
2nd-February-2010, 12:51 AM
voodoo> whats your overall impression of the install? A better bang for the buck over the 1300+ kits?

1 word AWESOME, this car stops like crazy, real nice pedal, not soft like the the zero off set brakes I have on my pro street car, calipers don't hit the upper control arms either. As far as those other big brake kits out there, I haven't tried any of them but have heard some complaints about soft peddle and heavy components.

f16fxr4real
2nd-February-2010, 12:59 AM
I will have no choice but to go to 17 inch wheels for decent brakes..........:(

batman09
2nd-February-2010, 01:03 AM
:yes::yes::yes::yes:

VooDooII
2nd-February-2010, 01:49 AM

not necessarily true, there are options but you will have to do some research:yes: there are 16 inch wheels that will accommodate the LS brakes

f16fxr4real
2nd-February-2010, 02:03 AM
not necessarily true, there are options but you will have to do some research:yes: there are 16 inch wheels that will accommodate the LS brakes

Id like to keep my 15" Welds. Ive always liked the style

Chevy Kid
2nd-February-2010, 06:06 AM
Adam, in my opinion, the Chevelle, Camaro single piston caliper disc brakes work just fine. I had them on my car with stock rear drums and they worked well. I then put Caddy rear disc's on with my Camaro fronts, which is what I have on there now.

I'm not racing or auto crossing the thing, so I'm good. 15 in. wheels too! They certainly aren't bling-ey.

Now on my Camaro, I've got the C5, LS1 brake set up with future wheels sizes like Joe has. But that's another story...

Bottom line, get rid of those 4 wheel drums!

Tim

1quik63
2nd-February-2010, 04:10 PM
Since I already have some 15X3.5 front wheels and do not want to change that, would some 93-97 Camaro front discs be the same as far as the install goes? Just wondering if anyone knows if this bracket would work. Supposed to be a smaller rotor, and 15" wheels fit on those year Camaros?

Nova 404
2nd-February-2010, 04:25 PM
These brackets will only work with a 12 inch rotor.

1964novass
2nd-February-2010, 07:46 PM
You can put at 15x3.5 Weld wheel on these brakes. You just have to run a thin wheel spacer or grind the caliper some. The F-body guys do it all the time. Like I have said in the past though, these brakes work nice, but they are heavy. 67 lbs! So, if you are drag racing, that may not be the weight you would want to add it your car. Especially rolling mass. You really can't go wrong with a set of Wilwoods. They are light, four piston fixed calipers and you can run a 15" wheel with no problems. Again though, that is if you care about that stuff. :cool:

VooDooII
2nd-February-2010, 08:06 PM
You can put at 15x3.5 Weld wheel on these brakes. You just have to run a thin wheel spacer or grind the caliper some. The F-body guys do it all the time. Like I have said in the past though, these brakes work nice, but they are heavy. 67 lbs! So, if you are drag racing, that may not be the weight you would want to add it your car. Especially rolling mass. You really can't go wrong with a set of Wilwoods. They are light, four piston fixed calipers and you can run a 15" wheel with no problems. Again though, that is if you care about that stuff. :cool:

67, pounds:confused: this is both sides right, the calipers way almost nothing and for the street I would want a set of vented rotors

1964novass
2nd-February-2010, 08:41 PM
67 lbs is for both. I weighed mine after I took them off. The Wilwood set that I put on was 34 lbs for both :eek: The cast hubs and big, thick rotors are what really puts the weight on. The calipers are actually pretty heavy too. But like I said, if your machine is a street car, then it is no big deal.

hot66
2nd-February-2010, 10:08 PM
67 lbs is for both. I weighed mine after I took them off. The Wilwood set that I put on was 34 lbs for both :eek: The cast hubs and big, thick rotors are what really puts the weight on. The calipers are actually pretty heavy too. But like I said, if your machine is a street car, then it is no big deal.

Any idea how much the stock 11" setup weighs?

Thanks,
Jeff

NOGO
3rd-February-2010, 12:03 AM
FYI- The CPP 13" big brake kit is 33.5 lbs per side.:yes:

Ryan V64SS
3rd-February-2010, 12:05 AM

But I might add it costs way more than this swap did:yes:

NOGO
3rd-February-2010, 12:20 AM
But I might add it costs way more than this swap did:yes:

I dont know what this swap costs but the CPP 13" big brake kit will brake your skull on the windshield at low cost.:eek::D I dont claim its the lowest, but it sure is affordable!:yes:

VooDooII
3rd-February-2010, 07:16 AM

CPP Calipers weighed in at 18lbs per (I should know I weighed them) rotors have to weight 20-25lbs each and brackets and hub have to weigh a couple pounds per side, The LS calipers weighed in at a light 5lbls that's 13 lbs lighter than those big truck calipers CPP uses and 26lbs for both sides.

So your saying that the rotor brackets and hub weigh 15.5 pounds:confused::rolleyes: I would be willing to bet that your brake system weighs closer to 50lbs:yes::yes:

VooDooII
3rd-February-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont know what this swap costs but the CPP 13" big brake kit will brake your skull on the windshield at low cost.:eek::D I dont claim its the lowest, but it sure is affordable!:yes:

1498.00 low cost:confused: I'm into the LS brakes for under 800.00 that including the drop spindles.

I was impressed with the ease of the CPP big brake install they did think of everything

67 church
3rd-February-2010, 09:00 AM
I just recently sold a set of the CPP 13" brakes to a customer in Canada. When the boxes arrived here in Ohio the total weight was 99 pounds. This was the complete system with drop spindles. Now if we know what the exact spindle weighs.......plus maybe 5 lbs for boxing we would have a better number on how heavy this kit really is. Joe, Brian any Idea on the spindle weight?

No doubt the CPP brakes will stop you in a hurry, as they are fashioned after the trucks and SUV vehicles. Now with the initial response to the LS1 brakes you may get a better performance to weight/dollar value with the smaller high performance set up from the Camaros and Firebirds.

1964novass
3rd-February-2010, 09:12 AM
The LS1 brakes work great. There is no doubt about that. I know, I had them on my car for a while. Let's face it, they were designed for a car that weighs 800-1000 lbs more than our Novas. In addition, they are cheap to put together. The other kits out there are nearly the same thing, even the Baer kit, but those kits are two or three times the cost. If you are not concerned about weight and wheel size, then the LS conversion is the ticket! BTW, the LS brakes I put on my car, I used stainless steel caliper brackets, so that will weigh more than aluminum. Also, the weight that I said of 67 lbs, does not include the spindles.

NOGO
3rd-February-2010, 02:02 PM
CPP Calipers weighed in at 18lbs per (I should know I weighed them) rotors have to weight 20-25lbs each and brackets and hub have to weigh a couple pounds per side, The LS calipers weighed in at a light 5lbls that's 13 lbs lighter than those big truck calipers CPP uses and 26lbs for both sides.

So your saying that the rotor brackets and hub weigh 15.5 pounds:confused::rolleyes: I would be willing to bet that your brake system weighs closer to 50lbs:yes::yes:

I weighed the components before installing them so I know my numbers are right, with maybe a 5% error because my scale is not calibrated.:eek: The forged aluminum hubs are what make the big weight savings.:yes:

1498.00 low cost:confused: I'm into the LS brakes for under 800.00 that including the drop spindles.

I was impressed with the ease of the CPP big brake install they did think of everything

Was $800 for front and rear? If so thats a deal!:yes:

VooDooII
3rd-February-2010, 02:19 PM
I weighed the components before installing them so I know my numbers are right, with maybe a 5% error because my scale is not calibrated.:eek: The forged aluminum hubs are what make the big weight savings.:yes:

Was $800 for front and rear? If so thats a deal!:yes:

Brian, rebuilt Raybestos calipers 112.00, new drilled and slotted zinc washed rotors 160.00, complete rear off a 2001 Z/28 190.0 new CPP drop spindles 200.00 rear spacer to center calipers on rotor 45.00 and ceramic pads 34.00, and 52.00 for front brake hoses.

TomM
3rd-February-2010, 02:23 PM
Okay Bryan...dump the big brakes, put on the LS1 swap, drop the pounds and smoke that Camaro........you can do it........(chanting) Nova, Nova, Nova.......:devil:

Gonna have to change your handle from NOGO to GOGO........:D

T,

NOGO
3rd-February-2010, 03:41 PM
Okay Bryan...dump the big brakes, put on the LS1 swap, drop the pounds and smoke that Camaro........you can do it........(chanting) Nova, Nova, Nova.......:devil:

Gonna have to change your handle from NOGO to GOGO........:D

T,

How about an LS1 brake and engine swap???!!!:yes:

VooDooII
3rd-February-2010, 03:44 PM

That's next for me:D

TomM
3rd-February-2010, 03:49 PM

We don't wanna you to whup them hi dollar boys too bad now with that little Nova..........:devil:

Your 383 sounded pretty healthy to me.....although a 383 LS would be sweet.....but then you might need some wider meats on the rear, they do tend to make some serious low end.......LMK, I can do your harness and ECM......:D

T,

Nova 404
3rd-February-2010, 05:52 PM
I am leaning towards an LSx swap as well,need to figure out how to generate the extra cash:D

sixty4sedan
3rd-February-2010, 10:10 PM
The front calipers that will help me complete this swap are coming from the same car which will sooner or later power the nova.... but first I need the bracket for the front, any release date yet?

VooDooII
4th-February-2010, 02:03 AM
The front calipers that will help me complete this swap are coming from the same car which will sooner or later power the nova.... but first I need the bracket for the front, any release date yet?

call Chuck:yes::yes:

sixty4sedan
4th-February-2010, 09:46 PM
aprox 2 weeks til the brackets are released, oh boy...

for those that have done the rear conversion has anyone incorperated the rear brake hose bracket from the camaro brakes to hold the brake line/ ebrake on the new setup?

VooDooII
4th-February-2010, 11:06 PM
aprox 2 weeks til the brackets are released, oh boy...

for those that have done the rear conversion has anyone incorperated the rear brake hose bracket from the camaro brakes to hold the brake line/ ebrake on the new setup?

Yes, I welded them to the U bolts, I'll post some pics soon

Nova 404
4th-February-2010, 11:14 PM
Here is a poor picture of the hose bracket,no parking brake as of yet

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/Car%20show%20pictures/2009%20Nova%20Nationals/NorCal%20events/DSC01965.jpg

sixty4sedan
5th-February-2010, 08:23 AM
Is that the correct way the calipers mount on the rear axle? They will mount either on the front side or back side

VooDooII
5th-February-2010, 11:34 AM
Is that the correct way the calipers mount on the rear axle? They will mount either on the front side or back side

That is the only way they can mount, :yes:

sixty4sedan
5th-February-2010, 11:41 AM
wanna bet? I did not find a picture of a camaro before installing, my bleeders are on the top of the calipers and well the calipers are 180 from those. So Ive got the calipers on the wrong side and need to do a flip

VooDooII
5th-February-2010, 11:51 AM
wanna bet? I did not find a picture of a camaro before installing, my bleeders are on the top of the calipers and well the calipers are 180 from those. So Ive got the calipers on the wrong side and need to do a flip

Well if you want your E-brake to work I would swap sides, I have a SS camaro and this is how they are installed on it.

batman09
5th-February-2010, 01:02 PM
I has a SS camaro and this is how they are installed on it.Is that ebonics or something:D:D

Nova 404
5th-February-2010, 01:20 PM
"Jo-ebonics":D'

batman09
5th-February-2010, 03:13 PM
aw come on...no comment???

VooDooII
5th-February-2010, 04:46 PM
I think you guys need reading glasses:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nova 404
5th-February-2010, 04:54 PM
It has lookin to me as you edited your post:D

gwf7782
5th-February-2010, 06:23 PM
found a guy thats selling the brakets for $60, shipped. these are not for the dropped spindles though.

sixty4sedan
5th-February-2010, 07:34 PM
ya I am going to swap them around this weekend once everything else is torqued and I can put it back up off the ground

VooDooII
5th-February-2010, 08:10 PM
found a guy thats selling the brakets for $60, shipped. these are not for the dropped spindles though.

If you are running or plan on running drop spindles I would wait for CBR

Coursey
5th-February-2010, 09:16 PM
Hey Joe,

I think the LS brakes may be next winters project. I plan to by a few parts at a time to spread out the cost.

What master cylinder did you go with?

Who did you buy your parts from?

Nova 404
5th-February-2010, 10:36 PM
Rotors came form www.ROTORPROS.net
Master was early Corvette style for 4 whl. Discs from http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/RightStuff/Default.aspx
and the booster was from the same
The reman calipers were sourced locally at our local parts house.

67 church
5th-February-2010, 11:03 PM
-------------UPDATE-------------

I have sent the prints to the laser cutter and am awaiting the quotes. If everything goes well I can see having brackets the week after next.

sixty4sedan
5th-February-2010, 11:09 PM

I have sent the prints to the laser cutter and am awaiting the quotes. If everything goes well I can see having brackets the week after next.

best news Ive heard this week... tops the few cent raise from work 10 par

VooDooII
6th-February-2010, 12:00 AM

CBR on top of it like usual:yes::yes:

sixty4sedan
6th-February-2010, 09:54 PM
was playing around with the oem camaro caliper hose/ ebrake cable bracket... keep in mind my calipers are on the rear side of the axle unlike how the camaros came... and I was trying to figure out how the ebrake cable was origionally run with what I currently have. front what I can see it seems as if it would be easier to get the ebake setup to work easier with them mounted backwards... with the cable on there the nova oem bracket mounting points would be a perfect place to mount the camaro eyelet for the cable on a 40 degree bracket on either side... with this the cables would be the same length running up and meet evenly at the rear brace under the car for the rear seat anchors... I have yet to cut up my trans tunnel for the t56 and get the rest of the ebrake set up for a camaro...

sorry for the rants but Ill def need a ebrake set up and was just pondering....

I can take pictures if anyone would like to see

klean63
8th-February-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm very interested in this swap but I gotta question about the bolt pattern on the hubs?

Is it the old standard 5 x 4 3/4 or is it a newer metric pattern.

The idea of buying new wheels doesn't excite me at all:no::no:

Nova 404
8th-February-2010, 04:06 AM
It uses a Nova/Camaro/Chevelle drum hub with the LS1 caliper slid over it.It depends on what wheels you have as to if they will clear the brakes.The bolt pattern is 5 on 4 3/4.15 inch wheels do not work,15x3.5 of 15x4 maybe with a small spacer 1/4 might do it.Other wise some 16 and all 17 or larger wheels should work fine.I do not remember what size your wheels are ?

klean63
8th-February-2010, 12:23 PM
17 x 7 w/4.5 b.s.:yes::yes:

Nova 404
8th-February-2010, 12:37 PM
No problems with those:D

CHEVYLOVERJP
19th-February-2010, 06:46 PM
Whats Up Guys ? I have have run the calipers on the rear side of the axles on the 3 rears i have did. I can use the stock parking brake cable without any modifacation to it. So i guess you can use the caliper on either side. Your rear is looking good Joe. And i not talking about the one that go's in the car. I will try to get some picture of the one i am working on right now.

Turn and go boys !!!!!!! Turn and GO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Nova 404
19th-February-2010, 07:05 PM
John,you are a sick sick man:devil:

sixty4sedan
19th-February-2010, 08:49 PM
Whats Up Guys ? I have have run the calipers on the rear side of the axles on the 3 rears i have did. I can use the stock parking brake cable without any modifacation to it. So i guess you can use the caliper on either side. Your rear is looking good Joe. And i not talking about the one that go's in the car. I will try to get some picture of the one i am working on right now.

looking forward to the ebrake set up pics

awesome I dont have to turn mine around...
just got my front brake set up in along with an oem camaro ebrake lever and smaller front cable to try and see waht I can do to get them to work.

VooDooII
19th-February-2010, 09:05 PM

Been waiting for you to chime in, I misplaced the pix of your e-brake setup. I set my calipers the way they are on the camaro's didn't even think to do it any other way:rolleyes:

CHEVYLOVERJP
19th-February-2010, 10:10 PM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02550.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02551.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02557.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02556.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02555.jpg

sixty4sedan
20th-February-2010, 03:07 AM
got the rears all set up but just a little fuzzy on how they will meet up with the smaller line off of the ebrake lever... with the driveshaft playing a major role in placement

whats up with your ebrake cables? Mine have a completely different end where it hooks up with the ebrake shoes... its has an eyelet at taht end and the other side I beleive has this style end.... unless thats the origional cable

sixty4sedan
24th-February-2010, 11:41 AM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02550.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02551.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02557.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02556.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02555.jpg

could we possibly get some more pics of the brackets

Nova 404
24th-February-2010, 11:51 AM
Possibly a little more focused:D

CHEVYLOVERJP
24th-February-2010, 02:54 PM
You guys are so picky !!!!!!!!!!! I will have to take off from one of my other novas. I will try to show you on the rear i am setting up right now on the bench. I will take me a couple days.

VooDooII
24th-February-2010, 03:59 PM
A couple of days?? I am picking up an LS 5.3 and 700r4 for the wagon this weekend:yes:

Nova 404
25th-February-2010, 02:35 PM
Does anybody remember what the outside diameter of the hubs needs to be to fit into the LS rotors? I have hubs but no rotors and would like to machine them down.I have seen 5.90 and 5.75 but do not want to take off any more than needed.

lagger16
25th-February-2010, 03:23 PM
Way to go joe ! Rear brakes and drop susp. looks great ! I missed this month dounut run i wanted to check it out will have to wait bbq. Looking forward to here about the engine swap and pics.

VooDooII
25th-February-2010, 04:44 PM
Way to go joe ! Rear brakes and drop susp. looks great ! I missed this month dounut run i wanted to check it out will have to wait bbq. Looking forward to here about the engine swap and pics.

Engine swap will be awhile, should have the engine this weekend, still want to get the front end done before the engine is in.

klean63
25th-February-2010, 08:51 PM
still want to get the front end done before the engine is in.

Whatcha gonna do to the front end?:rolleyes::D:D

sixty4sedan
25th-February-2010, 09:14 PM
Engine swap will be awhile, should have the engine this weekend, still want to get the front end done before the engine is in.

lucky you... I was supposted to pick up a ls1 this weekend ... but after ordering almost 1100 in parts for his car in trade he sold the whole car for less than what I was going to give him for the motor alone. GL with the swap start a thread so we can follow your build....

whats the deal with machining the hub? I take it that its the front hub

Front suspension is on its way out this weekend... cant wait to try out these new brakes after wheels, bodywork etc are done...

jmdc
26th-February-2010, 02:03 AM
Any word on the brakets Chuck?

-Justin

67 church
26th-February-2010, 06:06 AM
Word............ah! how about they will possibly be cut next week.

Nova 404
26th-February-2010, 11:09 AM
sixty4sedan,the drum hubs are to large of outside diameter to fit inside the LS rotor.So the outside needs to be turned down on a lathe,any any machine shop can do this for you or if you have access to a brake lathe you can do it your self.

sixty4sedan
26th-February-2010, 11:11 AM
brake lathe it is... whats the spec to take it down to? Im thinking when I turn the front and rear rotors Ill do the hubs at the same time

Nova 404
26th-February-2010, 11:18 AM
I do not know,I posted here hoping some body knew.The last time I did anything like this I had a rotor and just machined until the rotor fit over the hub.I wish I had measured:o
I have seen a spec of both 5.75 and 5.90 but do not want to remove any more than needed

VooDooII
26th-February-2010, 11:38 AM
Whatcha gonna do to the front end?:rolleyes::D:D

Sell the CPP:yes::yes:

VooDooII
26th-February-2010, 11:40 AM
I do not know,I posted here hoping some body knew.The last time I did anything like this I had a rotor and just machined until the rotor fit over the hub.I wish I had measured:o
I have seen a spec of both 5.75 and 5.90 but do not want to remove any more than needed

I'll talk to my machinist and see if he remembers.

f16fxr4real
26th-February-2010, 01:30 PM
A couple of days?? I am picking up an LS 5.3 and 700r4 for the wagon this weekend:yes:

So that I dont "hijack", PM me what you plan to do with your 700 install.
Me and Bruce can come help you out.........YES Batman, I just volunteered you

VooDooII
26th-February-2010, 04:15 PM
So that I dont "hijack", PM me what you plan to do with your 700 install.
Me and Bruce can come help you out.........YES Batman, I just volunteered you

I have been instructed to hold out for a 4L60E so that's what I'm going to do, I will hold you and batman to your word when it comes time to do the swap. I will make sure we have lots of BBQ and beers afterwords:D:D

Nova 404
26th-February-2010, 05:28 PM
You know the 700r will bolt up to the 6 for now:D

VooDooII
26th-February-2010, 06:59 PM

************ don't want to spend unnecessary ********

1slonova
26th-February-2010, 07:01 PM

thats what i am going to do to the hardtop. i want to have a trans shop give it a once-over first

67 church
26th-February-2010, 08:03 PM
************ don't want to spend unnecessary ********

Very good point Joe......Your wagon needs nothing so I thought to help you out I will gladly trade you for my wagon. You see mine needs everything so that way all the spending will be "necessary" and you won't feel so bad doing it...:D

VooDooII
26th-February-2010, 08:48 PM
Very good point Joe......Your wagon needs nothing so I thought to help you out I will gladly trade you for my wagon. You see mine needs everything so that way all the spending will be "necessary" and you won't feel so bad doing it...:D

Hold on now, I am saving the necessary spending for:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:but if I ever do decide to let the wagon go you will have first dibs :yes:

67 church
26th-February-2010, 08:52 PM
O.K. it's a deal :yes:

sixty4sedan
4th-March-2010, 11:38 PM
You guys are so picky !!!!!!!!!!! I will have to take off from one of my other novas. I will try to show you on the rear i am setting up right now on the bench. I will take me a couple days.

Have you had a chance to take pictures yet? Hate to be bothersome but besides the front caliper brackets this is my last step in the install

Thanks

CHEVYLOVERJP
5th-March-2010, 05:49 PM
My 66
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02869.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02870.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02871.jpg

CHEVYLOVERJP
5th-March-2010, 05:54 PM
These are new brackets i made.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02880.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02881.jpg

These are the cable holders that attach to lever on parking brake. The black one is the first car i made. The stainless is what i will be using.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02882.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02885.jpg

CHEVYLOVERJP
5th-March-2010, 06:02 PM
here are more pictures of my rear that will be going into my convert. The vise grip temp to show how pieces go together . I like to wait till everything is in car before i drill the cable brackets. I hope this helps. If anyone can improve my design , feel free to comment.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02888.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02886.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02887.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02890.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk279/chevyloverjp/DSC02892.jpg

sixty4sedan
5th-March-2010, 07:28 PM
feel like making a spare set?

CHEVYLOVERJP
5th-March-2010, 07:31 PM
Get some angle from home depot, It pretty easy!!!!!!!!

CHEVYLOVERJP
5th-March-2010, 07:52 PM
you are correct...

sixty4sedan
5th-March-2010, 07:57 PM
great pictures thanks... gives me something to do weekend between removing undercoating, and painting

VooDooII
5th-March-2010, 07:58 PM
you are correct...

Thanks John, you should fly out next week, I got a bed you can use:yes::yes:

sixty4sedan
6th-March-2010, 01:42 AM
bracket update?

VooDooII
6th-March-2010, 02:15 AM
bracket update?

Call Chuck... I know they will be made out of stainless:yes:

71 Chevy
22nd-March-2010, 01:43 AM
I just picked up ls1 transam front pads, rotors, and calipers for $70
already had the brackets for $75 so Im 145 into it so far. looks like it will be a very cheap conversion.

here are the questions I have. Im keeping the rears drum, and keeping the manual brakes.

1. which master cylinder should I get? I want something light and inexpensive. the plastic reservoir ones are ok too.

2. how do I adapt the lines from the camaro brakes to the lines on the car?

3. can someone recommend an adjustable proportioning valve?

Nova 404
5th-April-2010, 01:15 PM
For those concerned,with the RotorPros zinc washed rotors I had to turn the hub down to 5.870.There was a slight difference between the two rotors so make sure you check both of them.This may be due to the zinc coating.The rotors came in Centric Parts boxes.

Coursey
14th-April-2010, 09:11 PM
Did you get everthing installed?

Do you have any pics of the new wheels?

sixty4sedan
16th-July-2010, 12:12 AM
what are people running for front brake hoses? custom hoses or is there a part # that works with the install

Nova 404
16th-July-2010, 01:41 AM
I will be dealing with this next week on the Chuck Wagon.I will let you know how it pans out.On VooDoo's wagon we used braided steel and they were a little to long

sixty4sedan
16th-July-2010, 08:47 AM
right on appreaciate it

Coursey
27th-July-2010, 10:46 PM
Do the calipers have to come from a 98-02 z28, ss, or trans am? Or can they come off of a standard camaro/firebird?

All of the parts stores/junkyards keep telling me the brakes are the same for both models.

schweiss1966
27th-July-2010, 10:50 PM
Do the calipers have to come from a 98-02 z28, ss, or trans am? Or can they come off of a standard camaro/firebird?

All of the parts stores/junkyards keep telling me the brakes are the same for both models.

They are the same across the board for the V-8 cars for sure, I believe the 6 cyl should be the same as well.

VooDooII
28th-July-2010, 12:18 PM
They are the same across the board for the V-8 cars for sure, I believe the 6 cyl should be the same as well.

LS1 powered cars only 1998-2002

zman1969
29th-July-2010, 11:49 PM
LS1 powered cars only 1998-2002

not true there are quite a few V-6 cars with the LS1 brakes running around and in junkyards. If anyone is interested I have several sets of brackets available for this swap please PM me
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/zman1969/ls1brkt2-2.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t35/zman1969/ls1brkts.jpg

67 church
30th-July-2010, 05:28 AM
not true there are quite a few V-6 cars with the LS1 brakes running around and in junkyards. If anyone is interested I have several sets of brackets available for this swap please PM me

Keep in mind that all LS brackets available are not created equal. Drop spindles and aftermarket control arms will cause interference with the caliper if the holes are not in the correct place.

VooDooII
30th-July-2010, 11:40 AM
Did not know this, means more doaner cars:D:D

Coursey
30th-July-2010, 11:51 AM

How do you tell if they are LS1 brakes, and not standered ones?

VooDooII
30th-July-2010, 01:26 PM
How do you tell if they are LS1 brakes, and not standered ones?

Wes have you tried to source these at your local parts supplier? I get the front calipers for under 60.00 ea including the core charge, rotors off ebay for 200.00 including ceramic pads and have been successful getting the complete rear brake assy. off ebay for under 200.00,

Stashum
30th-July-2010, 08:07 PM
so how much are your brackets chuck? and are they currently available? if i wanted to use corvette brakes, would i need c4 or c5 setup?

thank you

67 church
30th-July-2010, 11:41 PM
so how much are your brackets chuck? and are they currently available? if i wanted to use corvette brakes, would i need c4 or c5 setup?

thank you

Send me a PM and I can give you a price, yes they are available. If you want to use the Corvette brakes it will require a different bracket.

Motoboy
31st-July-2010, 12:18 AM
Did I miss some where which spindles can be used?

Nova 404
31st-July-2010, 01:51 AM
Stock or any drop spindle with a bolt on steering arm

Motoboy
31st-July-2010, 10:11 AM
Perfect. I figured that, but it's nice to hear from someone that's done a few already.

We need to sticky this thread with a parts list!:yes:

Miller's Garage
11th-August-2010, 10:38 PM
Can anyone tell me where to get longer studs for the front hubs? I was wondering if anyone found some just long enough for the thickness difference between brum and rotor and I was hoping to avoid cutting some extra long ones down.

Nova 404
12th-August-2010, 01:21 AM
Dorman makes one about 1/4 longer than stock.They worked perfectly with steel wheels.The Flyer posted a number for one that is about 1/2 longer

TomM
13th-October-2010, 12:54 PM
Can we sticky this? This will answer a lot of repetative questions......

T,

zman1969
13th-October-2010, 11:36 PM
Can anyone tell me where to get longer studs for the front hubs? I was wondering if anyone found some just long enough for the thickness difference between brum and rotor and I was hoping to avoid cutting some extra long ones down.

Raybestos pn# 5000b studs are 1/4-3/8" longer - I used them on my 69 Bird

GNNOVA
14th-October-2010, 08:24 PM
Has anyone tried to get the E-brake cable to work for a lt1 rear brake caliper? These are the ones with the E-brake in the caliper. I'm looking at running them since the rotor is smaller and should give me more clearance to run 15" wheels.

the FLYER
14th-October-2010, 08:32 PM
Has anyone tried to get the E-brake cable to work for a lt1 rear brake caliper? These are the ones with the E-brake in the caliper. I'm looking at running them since the rotor is smaller and should give me more clearance to run 15" wheels.

are these the calipers you're referring to ?

'84 Camaro rear discs (http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/84%20Camaro%20rear%20discs-ChevyII%20axles/)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/84%20Camaro%20rear%20discs-ChevyII%20axles/latecamaro1.jpg

that's a smaller set up, YES...

the Trans-Am/Cadillac style discs are larger rotors and still fit 15's. (this would be the style rear disc kit that CPP and others sell)

GNNOVA
14th-October-2010, 08:48 PM
They are similar but the LT1's have a different bracket holding the caliper to the rear, but the caliper may be the same. I'll have to look at mine tomorrow.

GNNOVA
14th-October-2010, 08:52 PM
I looked at the picture again and it looks like the caliper is iron, if so the LT1's are aluminum. Also the caliper is floating like the LS1's

the FLYER
14th-October-2010, 08:53 PM
I looked at the picture again and it looks like the caliper is iron, if so the LT1's are aluminum. Also the caliper is floating like the LS1's

maybe i'm thinking something else... sorry

Coursey
24th-November-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey Joe,

Was you able to use your stock wheel studs with the Billet Specialties and Ls1 Brakes?

Or did you have to use longer ones?

Nova 404
24th-November-2010, 06:22 PM
I think about 1/4 longer and he had to use the special to Billet Specialties lug nuts.Even with steel wheels you will need slightly longer studs.They are available from most parts houses,I know The Flyer has a part number for ones about 1/2 longer than stock.

the FLYER
24th-November-2010, 06:56 PM
http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/22953/2434116780058614284S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2434116780058614284EkZRXG)

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/28399/2707134870058614284S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2707134870058614284OfRILl)

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/1048/2165655120058614284S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2165655120058614284SNxmSU)

610-186... stock
610-259... same thing but full size GM, 1/2" size
610-157... longer stud

check here in the section 10
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/2006_hardware.htm

Coursey
25th-November-2010, 10:31 AM
So it looks like 610-157 or 610-259 is the ones i should try to find.

It looks like the knurl size is .003 bigger than stock. Will the holes in the hubs have to be drilled out, or will the be able to be pressed in?

Nova 404
25th-November-2010, 01:38 PM
I do not think .003 will be an issue.

the FLYER
25th-November-2010, 01:48 PM
let the real Einsteins correct me if necessary but the reason for extending the length of the studs is due to the increased thickness of the rotor compared to the drum... it's desired/required to have that stud protrude through the rotor so when the wheel is installed there's still enough stud the nut is FULLY threaded onto the stud.

that being said, the 157 is a 7/16" stud. the 259 is 1/2" you have the specs in front of you. i think the 259 being slightly longer would cover that thickness difference but you double check, that's your responsibility. i think if it were me, i'd prefer the added strength of the 1/2" stud over the 7/16".

Nova 404
25th-November-2010, 02:05 PM
I must be having a senior moment but it looks to me like all of the studs you listed in the chart 7/16:o

the FLYER
25th-November-2010, 02:09 PM
Sorry Brian i screwed up posting the numbers... intermediate GM cars used a 4-3/4" pattern and a 7/16" stud where the fullsized used a 5" bolt pattern and a 1/2" stud. the stud dimensions are basically the same, just a different diameter...

check the 610-258 here: http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/143-148_Sec10_Part3.pdf

the 610-259 is 7/16"
the 610-258 is 1/2"

;)

Nova 404
25th-November-2010, 02:36 PM
To add the 1/2 studs the holes in the hub would need to be opened up.The knurl diameter on the 610-258 is .536 and the 610-259 is .475

Coursey
25th-November-2010, 03:15 PM
To add the 1/2 studs the holes in the hub would need to be opened up.The knurl diameter on the 610-259 is .536 and the 610-259 is .475

Correction 610-259 is .475
610-258 is .536

Nova 404
25th-November-2010, 03:23 PM
Sorry :o fixed it:D

Coursey
25th-November-2010, 08:43 PM
610-259 is available in stock at orielly's

They are 1/4" longer than stock. I think i will pick up 20 of these tomorrow just to be safe on the length.:yes:

63LSWagon
26th-November-2010, 09:44 AM
Good info :yes:

Tom Griffin
26th-November-2010, 11:11 AM
^^^ more like GREAT info :D
Tom

Coursey
24th-December-2010, 02:31 PM
What length flex hoses did you use front and rear?

I would like to compare it to what i think i need (i dont wont the to long, and definatly not to short).

Nova 404
24th-December-2010, 02:58 PM
Chuck has the reciepts from the wagon build.I think we used 14-16 inch fronts and 6-8 rears but not sure.You will need longer fronts than the Chuck wagon unless you are using his coil overs.Use a piece of copper wire to get a lenght.You will need it long enough so it will not pull tight with the wheels hanging in the air and have to deal with the extra lenght at ride height.You will be safer a little long compaired to a little short,the perfect looking hose at ride height will be pulled tight or worse with the wheels in the air.Rears are not that critical,you need enough flex to get the calipers off and have movement for normal pad wear.Be sure you have the ear to mount the hose to the front or to the rear so it does not hit the frame when/if the suspension bottoms out.

Merry Christmass:D

the FLYER
24th-December-2010, 03:46 PM
make sure you replace the center rear upper hose with a -3 line also :yes:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/IMAG00022-2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/fittingblock.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/brakehoseconversionfitting.jpg

GreasyDD63
14th-February-2011, 10:27 PM
Ok so I kno I'm pretty late asking this but I read this whole damn 16page thread & I still need something answered....

Will I need to run ChevyII 5 lug Drum spindles?

Maybe i'm confused?????:confused::confused::confused:

Nova 404
14th-February-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes you will need a 5 lug spindle of some sort,OEM,CPP drop or aftermarket reproduction.As well as the 5 lug steering arms.The bolt pattern is wider where the steering arms bolt on.

64 Shaggin Wagon
26th-February-2011, 01:52 AM
Sure would love a total parts list for the front and rear conversion. Don't know if it's asking too much for some one to spend the time. But I ask because I don't have any of my own to spare right now.

Thanks

67 church
26th-February-2011, 08:52 AM
We are working on that....

fearnoevo
27th-February-2011, 01:16 PM
I hope this is the right place for this. I am working on a '67

I have an opportunity to buy a complete disc brake rear end out of an 88-92 camaro. Supposedly Z-28 if that makes any difference on the newer stuff.

I can see from this great thread, that the calipers and rotors are usable to do a swap to the stock rear end. But, I am wondering, how much trouble is it to do the whole rear end? Our housing has a hole in it and is cracked so it needs replacing anyway.

I have searched the forum and read dozens of threads, but couldn't find a camaro rear end swap thread or much talk about it at all. Are kits available? I found a table of housing widths, but it seems to me I need a measurement from wheel hub to wheel hub width.

I am an owner in a full service machine shop so we can make anything. What am I getting myself into if I go this route?

Thank you,

Nova 404
27th-February-2011, 04:40 PM
The brakes in this thread are 97-02 Camaro:
The early brakes will also fit a Nova 10 bolt but are completely different.
The rear is to wide to fit a 62-67 Nova without narrowing it.

fearnoevo
27th-February-2011, 05:00 PM
Thank you

Back to plan A

TomM
3rd-March-2011, 11:14 AM
In case anyone has to have the banjo bolts for the calipers the size is 10MM x 1.0 thread pitch. It took me about a week to find this info. They are NOT 1.25 pitch.......

Here is a link to a neat little kit by jegs... has the bolt, washers and banjo end......just add hose.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/100742/10002/-1?parentProductId=1149934

T,

Nova 404
3rd-March-2011, 12:13 PM
You should have asked:o

the FLYER
3rd-March-2011, 12:20 PM
here's a chart showing all the GM parts with prices... of course the prices are subject to change without notice :rolleyes:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/ChevyII-Nova%20Information/Chevy%20Rear%20Disc%20Brake%20info/Rear%20LS%20brake%20conversion/LS1brakecomponentsGMnew.jpg

64 Shaggin Wagon
3rd-March-2011, 01:07 PM
here's a chart showing all the GM parts with prices... of course the prices are subject to change without notice :rolleyes:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/64Flyer/ChevyII-Nova%20Information/Chevy%20Rear%20Disc%20Brake%20info/Rear%20LS%20brake%20conversion/LS1brakecomponentsGMnew.jpg

I priced all of the Chevy parts about two days ago through the local dealership. The calipers are about $40 dollars more apiece, the backing plates are also about $40 more apiece, the brackets are discontinued but can still be found through certain vendors, The cables are $32 per side, the hardware and brackets are all about $7 apiece and the brake hoses are $42 perside. All parts are out of Memphis. I forgot to ask if these were retail or shop prices because I called from my work. But I will find out tomorrow.

TomM
3rd-March-2011, 01:44 PM
Yep, ricks77eb just went to the stealership to get the backing plates and e-brake shoe, and was quoted 250 per side..... :eek:

Calipers are 40-50 each at the local Auto parts, and a 50 dollar core if you walk in empty handed.

T,

TomM
3rd-March-2011, 01:47 PM
You should have asked:o

AAAarrrgggg.....you're killin' me........you knew........:call:

T,

Coursey
3rd-March-2011, 02:37 PM
I got the rear setup off EBay.

The fronts i got from RockAuto.

64 Shaggin Wagon
15th-March-2011, 12:23 AM
Does anyone know offhand the size bolts that mount the calipers to the knuckle/Bracket in the front and to the E-brake backing plate?

Thanks

Nova 404
15th-March-2011, 01:33 AM
10x1.5 if we are talking about the same bolts

TURBOPOWERED68
28th-May-2011, 12:24 PM
Let me start with an apology for asking Chevelle questions But this is the closest thread to the info i am seeking. Yes i have tried the Chevelle site and none come close to the amount of info in this single thread.
thanks for your help

I am doing the Front LS1 swap to my 1968 Chevelle
i currently have disc brakes on there now.
Anyway
Do you guys know if the 68 Chevelle's Spindles have to be modified to do this conversion?
Also
Would i be able to use 66 Chevelle hubs on my spindles?
Or
Do i have to turn down my rotors and use them as hubs?

Nova 404
28th-May-2011, 12:29 PM
Let me start with an apology for asking Chevelle questions But this is the closest thread to the info i am seeking. Yes i have tried the Chevelle site and none come close to the amount of info in this single thread.
thanks for your help

I am doing the Front LS1 swap to my 1968 Chevelle
i currently have disc brakes on there now.
Anyway
Do you guys know if the 68 Chevelle's Spindles have to be modified to do this conversion?
Also
Would i be able to use 66 Chevelle hubs on my spindles?
Or
Do i have to turn down my rotors and use them as hubs?

Chevelle Disc brake spindles will work fine,no mods

66 drum brake hubs will be perfect

Yes you will have to machine the outside diameter of the drum hub down so it fits inside the LS1 rotor.

TURBOPOWERED68
28th-May-2011, 12:32 PM
Chevelle Disc brake spindles will work fine,no mods

66 drum brake hubs will be perfect

Yes you will have to machine the outside diameter of the drum hub down so it fits inside the LS1 rotor.

thank you very much for the info and super fast reply
David

gwf7782
2nd-June-2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone know what length hoses are needed for the ls brakes? Stock front end with cpp mini sub.

VooDooII
2nd-June-2011, 08:58 PM
Anyone know what length hoses are needed for the ls brakes? Stock front end with cpp mini sub.

I have 12" hoses, but I think 10 will work just fine

Nova 404
2nd-June-2011, 09:03 PM
Honestly its best to mock up and check.At a guess I would say 12-16 inches.Turning radius and amount of suspension droop when wheels are off the ground vary to much to call out one hose that will work for all applications.Basically make sure they are as short as needed.Raise the car up support it on jack stands under the frame.Now figure out how long they need to be so that the hoses are not pulled tight if turned to full lock.This is a huge safety issue that I cant stress enough.Imagine they are to short and you forget about it,car is jacked up working on it and some one turns the wheel full lock and damages a hose.You fire the car up and hammer the throttle down the street only to find out you now have a fluid leak and the pedal goes to the floor:eek:Sorry for the long response but I am asked this question often.:D