Can this 305 setup make ~400HP? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Can this 305 setup make ~400HP?

Chevy eleven
21st-August-2009, 08:53 AM
Guys-

I saw this 305 setup on Craigslist claiming 400HP..is this possible?

JE flat top pistons 10.1:1
Sealed power total seal rings
Sealed power total seal bearing
stock c-rods (new bushings)
Durabond cam bearings
New Pro-billit distributor
New shoty plugs
New short aluminum water pump
New hormonic balancer
Chrome timing cover
Double roller timing chain
New high volume oil pimp
Small chamber 68cc ported and polished heads
Edelbrock performer intake
Felpro racing head, intake, oil pan, water pump, timing cover gaskets
Hooker headers with new bolts and hooker gaskets
Headers are wrapped
Reman starter-also wrapped
New wiring
New thermostat- 198 degrees
Aluminum pulleys (not underdrive, still v-grove)
All new bolts
.10 ground crank- Eagle
New freeze plugs
New paint-chevy orange
MT old school valve covers
New 470/470, 286, 296 cam
New lifters
New valves, seats, springs, seals
Rebuilt Q-Jet (750 cfm)

novaboy009
21st-August-2009, 08:56 AM
In a word. Nope. I bet that thing has 8.5:1 compression with those flat tops and 68cc heads. Unless they're ported AFR's or something really special, I don't think so.

Kev

D-Man
21st-August-2009, 11:26 AM
:rotfl::rotfl:400HP 305 huh..:rotfl::rotfl:
With stock, large chamber heads?:rolleyes:

Look at the Edelbrock crate engines and you'll get an idea of what it takes to get 400 HP.:yes:

Quite a bit more cubic inches (and compression I'd bet:yes:), better heads and a larger cam just nets 425 HP....

Ok, nuff said.... I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

stock z/28
21st-August-2009, 12:15 PM
I dont see that making 400 hp either.

Just for BS sake I have see 305s with about .60 over with flat tops, non-ported stock valve size heads in mid 50 cc range a stock intake and a Qjet make over 500 hp with a stock lift hyd cam and stamped rockers.

Of course these are not cheap and they are very labor intensive, but its very impressive to me to see a combination like that make that kind of power.

So I guess if that 305 mas massaged a bit in both labor and parts 400 hp is possible, but why? It would be far wiser in my opinion unless you are for some reason required to have a 305 to build something else?

Jeff

Chevy eleven
21st-August-2009, 12:16 PM
I thought it sounded fishy...but I am a huge noob when it comes to engines and what it takes to get power. Thanks for the input guys.

D-Man
21st-August-2009, 12:26 PM
I dont see that making 400 hp either.

Just for BS sake I have see 305s with about .60 over with flat tops, non-ported stock valve size heads in mid 50 cc range a stock intake and a Qjet make over 500 hp with a stock lift hyd cam and stamped rockers.

Of course these are not cheap and they are very labor intensive, but its very impressive to me to see a combination like that make that kind of power.

So I guess if that 305 mas massaged a bit in both labor and parts 400 hp is possible, but why? It would be far wiser in my opinion unless you are for some reason required to have a 305 to build something else?

Jeff

Yeah, we're talking about Craigslist.....Not a high dollar Super Stock build.:no:

Novaman Oscar
21st-August-2009, 12:27 PM
:rotfl::rotfl:400HP 305 huh..:rotfl::rotfl:
With stock, large chamber heads?:rolleyes:

Look at the Edelbrock crate engines and you'll get an idea of what it takes to get 400 HP.:yes:

Quite a bit more cubic inches (and compression I'd bet:yes:), better heads and a larger cam just nets 425 HP....

Ok, nuff said.... I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

lol i had to laugh at your response, but anyways im sure you can find a way better engine then 305 :yes: im always looking on c list and some people have good engine blocks or a complete one all the time

stock z/28
21st-August-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, we're talking about Craigslist.....Not a high dollar Super Stock build.:no:

That is a Stocker, not a Super Stocker.

Jeff