These any good? M/T ET Street [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: These any good? M/T ET Street

ALLT4
11th-July-2009, 04:28 PM
Saw these at a local parts store, they were the right size and I had some cash to burn. Figured WTH, at least they're better than street tires. Plus I have to drive about an hour or so to the track. Anyone use them and like/hate them?

http://www.personal.psu.edu/gls17/etstreet.jpg

chevyIIheavy
11th-July-2009, 05:16 PM
those are mt drag radials i use them there pretty good but they take a little getting use to they dont require a big burnout and you wont need to drop the tire pressure down to much i would suggest setting them at the track to 20 p.s.i. and go down from there

74 hatchback
11th-July-2009, 05:30 PM
good for drag, dont get caught in the rain, wont last that long either but will stick like glue, just for fyi firestone firehawk indy 500 are a nice sticky street tire, if you want a great all season radial, my 454 has a hard time spinning them.

johnny rotten
11th-July-2009, 06:11 PM
Use them on my drag radial car.......
1 I do BIG burnouts to get them to hook (522ci 800hp plus 500 shot) 1.23 60 foot
2 Last me between 26 and 32 passes,no street driving
3 Keep15-17 lbs in them depending on track conditions
4 They feel WAY better going down the track as they do not sway or move around like a slick will.
Hope this helps John

Ironman
11th-July-2009, 06:29 PM
I've had great success with them, over 300 passes on a set plus driving to and from the track on them. I've been in the rain a couple times on them and didn't feel like the car was ever in danger of moving around.

Driving an hour to the track may wear them out prematurely though.

Measure the OD to see if the set is the same.

18-22 psi

ZNova
11th-July-2009, 07:00 PM
I've had mine for 3+ years, about 70 passes and 6000 street miles. Still hook good, in fact got my best 60 ft time about a month ago :yes: and I have noticed that small rocks still stick to the tread. I know they are close to being used up due to the miles, and I plan to get another set when I replace them. I run about 16-17 psi, have tried as low as 13, but the lower pressure does not help. With radials the center tends to cup and you get less contact with pressure too low.

NOVACA1N
11th-July-2009, 09:14 PM
1 I do BIG burnouts to get them to hook (522ci 800hp plus 500 shot) 1.23 60 foot

BIG burnouts are not necessary to get this tire to work...In fact they get greasy with too much heat.

I love these tires. I run these on my street/bracket car and dead hook/wheelstand every pass, even on junk tracks and the street:D

You will get a few guys that will say "these tires are junk, they don't hook"...Radial ply tires will find every imperfection in your suspension. Get the car setup CORRECTLY and they are the best thing in the world.

FYI ET Streets are bias ply...These are just call drag radials.

Dragnova67
11th-July-2009, 09:20 PM
FYI ET Streets are bias ply...These are just call drag radials.

The car guys call them drag radials but it says et street radial on the tire.:D

They are drag radials and most leave out the et street part as M/T makes an et street bias "cheeter slick" style too.

ALLT4
11th-July-2009, 09:32 PM
Well I really wanted real slicks but I'm getting old and lazy, don't have a trailer and swapping tires doesn't thrill me anymore at the track. I thought I remembered from past searches these being the ticket. When I saw them through the stores window I had to check them out. Then the size was exactly what I needed so I figured it was fate.

I do have Cal Tracs and really wanted to mess around with them. Didn't take the time with my BFG Radial T/A tires last time at the track. I don't think anything would get those to hook.

I don't really care if they only last for the rest of the summer, for once I'd just like to see what the ZZ383 is capable of with a good hook. Right now it's ridiculous, like ice even at the track where you would think it might hook just a bit better.

Any suggested setting for the Cal Tracs on a 4th gen, I can't remember anyone having one with them. Or is it just try this, try that until you find what works?

6NOVA4
12th-July-2009, 02:01 AM
those tires are perfect for what you're doing. Do a search for cal tracs and you find tips on adjustments. Also if you can get an adjustable rear shock you'll be in great shape. Have fun!!!

The Big Al
12th-July-2009, 02:10 AM
Saw these at a local parts store, they were the right size and I had some cash to burn. Figured WTH, at least they're better than street tires. Plus I have to drive about an hour or so to the track. Anyone use them and like/hate them?

http://www.personal.psu.edu/gls17/etstreet.jpg

they will work great for you.

Keep air down in the 15-20 range

20psi is High IMO!!

Al

NOVACA1N
12th-July-2009, 02:31 AM
Well I really wanted real slicks but I'm getting old and lazy, don't have a trailer and swapping tires doesn't thrill me anymore at the track. I thought I remembered from past searches these being the ticket. When I saw them through the stores window I had to check them out. Then the size was exactly what I needed so I figured it was fate.

I do have Cal Tracs and really wanted to mess around with them. Didn't take the time with my BFG Radial T/A tires last time at the track. I don't think anything would get those to hook.

I don't really care if they only last for the rest of the summer, for once I'd just like to see what the ZZ383 is capable of with a good hook. Right now it's ridiculous, like ice even at the track where you would think it might hook just a bit better.

Any suggested setting for the Cal Tracs on a 4th gen, I can't remember anyone having one with them. Or is it just try this, try that until you find what works?

Going old school here...This is a pic with BFG's on the car, with my old junk 383

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/SmallBlockNova/61508etown.jpg

They worked! Consistent mid-low 1.5x 60 foots on a BFG 275/60...I then swapped to a M/T and noticed no difference.

I do believe the M/T is a FAR better tire, and I don't see the BFG's performing anywhere near these on my car now. With that said, your traction issues are more than likely in the front of the car. There is no magical setting for Cal Trac bars...Set them in whatever hole makes them closest to parallel with the ground, start with no preload and tune from there. Tune for the time slip and pay close attention to spin...Pretty simple.

I now go mid-low 1.3x 60 foots on a M/T drag radial...Off the footbrake, and my car hooks on ice...

canadiannova
12th-July-2009, 07:15 PM
i believe he was talking about the bfg radial t/a not the drag radial. i could be wrong though!!

tbills66
12th-July-2009, 07:47 PM
I run them on my car and run 24psi in them. My car is lazy off the line though. You will know when the air pressure is to low. You will feel the car swaying.

ALLT4
12th-July-2009, 09:15 PM
i believe he was talking about the bfg radial t/a not the drag radial. i could be wrong though!!

Yeah, BFG Radial T/A not the drag radial. The Radial T/A tires look good and ride nice but leave a lot to be desired in traction. They're cheap and can replaced like oil changes.

Dan_Lebherz
15th-July-2009, 08:29 PM
I run the M/T ET Street Radial on my car - I run 16PSI and they hook very good. Smaller size though, 235 X 60 X 15s on my car. I drive 35 miles each way on them to the track with 26 PSI in them for the street.