What Ford 9 inch rear axles/brakes fit Novas? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: What Ford 9 inch rear axles/brakes fit Novas?

Mike Goble
11th-May-2006, 01:27 AM
I have a 57 ford 9 inch rear with 11 inch brakes.I have the drums but no shoes or hardware.I'm having trouble finding shoes,local parts store did not have a number in there wagner book.The drums measure a little over 2 inchs wide so I put some 2 inch by 11 shoes off an old full size chevy car and they fit fine on the ford backing plates but the drums rubbed the shoes it liked about an 1/8 inch or less to seat on the axle.Does anyone have any ford brake info or sources and/or part #s for a 57/59 9 inch rear. Thanks

I had the same problem with an early Ford rear on the Durango Deuce so I went to the boneyard and got some 11x2.5's off a 70's Merc Marauder. I was told I had to send in the early shoes to have them re-built since there aren't any readily available at the store. I may still have the original drums and shoes.

My parts guy at Orielly's found some brake shoes for me.They are Brake Best brand part # 55. He had them in stock for $14 and no core charge they are 1 3/4 x 11 inch shoes.

novamike
14th-August-2006, 12:23 PM
While out yesterday afternoon fishing at a private lake,I saw a early model Bronco(like a 1966?) in a field that had been gutted however,it still had the rear end under it.It was across the fence line and I couldn't get to it to crawl under.
Isn't it ture that a early model Bronco 9 inch is the same wigth as a 66 10.2 rear?If this is true,I guess I had better check it out.
Mike

Brett
14th-August-2006, 01:10 PM
I've heard they are, Brett.

Bruce
14th-August-2006, 01:26 PM
They will drop right in. The down side is they are a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

novamike
14th-August-2006, 03:06 PM
They will drop right in. The down side is they are a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

I didn't have a single bite fishing in this lake,but maybe it wasn't a total lose after all!
I'll check into this!
Mike

bowtie0069
14th-August-2006, 08:19 PM
Don't they have more offset than normal? It seems to me the center was way off to the passenger side; or was that just the vans? They are pretty narrow though.

62Deuce400
14th-August-2006, 10:37 PM
Don't they have more offset than normal? It seems to me the center was way off to the passenger side; or was that just the vans? They are pretty narrow though.

I thought most 9" housings offset the pinion gear to the passenger side quite a bit, more so than the 12bolt, Dana 60, etc...

bowtie0069
14th-August-2006, 11:42 PM
I thought most 9" housings offset the pinion gear to the passenger side quite a bit

That's not what I mean, if you look at an earlier Ford van, the axles are like WAY shorter on one side--some guys used to just buy a second drivers side axle, and narrow the other side to match. It's been a long time since I was around a Bronco, maybe I'm mistaken.

62Deuce400
14th-August-2006, 11:47 PM
That's not what I mean, if you look at an earlier Ford van, the axles are like WAY shorter on one side--some guys used to just buy a second drivers side axle, and narrow the other side to match. It's been a long time since I was around a Bronco, maybe I'm mistaken.

Offset to clear the transfer case on the bronco?
just so theres room for the front and rear driveshaft...?

bilede
15th-August-2006, 01:06 PM
the bronco 9 inches are centered and will work but the 66 is a small bearing very lite duty axle and not sure its worth the hassle to put it in a nova. I have owned a few and always traded out the axle for a 76-77 large bearing heavy duty unit or a dana 60 cut down.

62SportCoupe
23rd-August-2006, 12:53 PM
Is there a "bolt on" 5 lug rear end to fit a '62 Nova (other than a early Nova rearend) ? Relocating spring perches shouldn't be too hard.

Greg_R_63
23rd-August-2006, 05:20 PM
Is there a "bolt on" 5 lug rear end to fit a '62 Nova (other than a early Nova rearend) ?

I don't think so. Hopefully, someone will come along presently to say otherwise.

Relocating spring perches shouldn't be too hard.

Great, then making a detailed tutorial for us should be a snap, hint, hint. :D

62SportCoupe
23rd-August-2006, 05:57 PM
just grind em off and reweld them where ya need em :)

63AKDN
23rd-August-2006, 08:12 PM
I've heard that Maverick/Comet rears bolt in. Some even came with 9".

nova65ss
23rd-August-2006, 08:14 PM
A Granada 9" is supposed to be a bolt in right down to the emergency brake. Some of them had disc brakes.

Jimmy

Bruce
24th-August-2006, 12:53 PM
An early Bronco will also bolt in, but has a 5x51/2" bolt pattern. Not positive, but theoretically a 69-70 Mustang is a bolt in. Remember the non-GM rear ends have a different bolt patterns.

nova656567
25th-August-2006, 01:34 AM
I would stay away from any rear end that is wider. The early Novas are already tough to fit bigger tires under with the correct rear.

Dan_Lebherz
25th-August-2006, 10:26 PM
'59 ranchero 9"

62SportCoupe
27th-August-2006, 03:03 PM
thanks guys for the info..I'll put it in my memory bank when I make another trip to the junkyard. It is @75 miles each way.

hopalong
19th-February-2007, 04:03 PM
Anybody here using an S-10 and or Ford Bronco 9" posi/rear end in there 62-67 nova. And if so how much HP do you have in front of it?
I,m aware of the versailles rear but looking at these for now. thanks

64chevyII
19th-February-2007, 05:48 PM
Check this thread.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52638

Me and few other members are thinking about this also. Some have done it on this site. But they also did mini tubed also. By looking at it s-10 measurments and my 65 it is going to be real close. I was told the spring perch is right in the way of the E-brake cable.

I seen this set up this morning from an ebay car. (Notice the shackle)Something like the belowe pic might work. If it clears the gas tank. I have not looked at my car yet. I think with a part like this the S-10 will fit in no questions. (Remember I said I think :)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/65chevyII/shacle.jpg

From

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspension_Widths.html

56 1/2" 71-77 Ford Maverick 8",
57" 71-74 V-8 Mavericks 8", All '75-77 6's & 8's Maverick 5 Lug 8", 49-51 Ford, 57-59 Ford 9"

57 1/4" 64 1/2 - 65 Mustang

58" 78-88 Mid sized GM Car, Malibu/Monte Carlo (82 up Metric Studs), 80 Granada & Lincoln Versailles,
67-70 Mustang/Cougar/Fairlane, Regal with 10 bolt axle, S-10 P.U., 65-67 Nova

This link will tell you your Nova's rearend measurements
http://novaresource.org/axle.htm

64chevyII
2nd-March-2007, 03:28 AM
I have found a 72 Bronco 9" rearend. I got a few questions I am looking for some help on from anyone that has used this rearend. I am wanting to swap it into my 65 Nova.

From searching this site I take it this rearend will work. So far I know I will have to have the axles and drums redrilled to fit my wheels. Also from searching this site some say it is a direct bolt in and one said he had to move the spring perches. I do not know what set up each member has so I thought I would ask the following questions.

My questions are:

1, Will I have to move and weld the spring perch to fit my stock leafs?

2, Will I have to get a U-joint adapter to bolt on my drive shaft?

3, Will I have to modify my drive shaft length?

4, Will my Chevy wheels mount flush to the ford drums? Is the center circle the same size?

5, Any parking brake issues?

Again thanks for any info you might have.

Bruce
2nd-March-2007, 12:03 PM
The Broncos came with either 10" or 11" drums so depending on what size wheels you are running you may or may not have an issue. The center hole in much larger than your original. The perches should work with the stock spring location. Most of the Broncos came with the yoke for the 1310 u-joint which is the same as the Chevy II. There are two different lengths of 9" yokes so if your driveline is off by about an inch you may get by with a yoke change. The odds are good you will not need to modify the driveline. You may need longer brake hose; we did, but we did not use the stock Chevy II springs.
Did not use the parking brake so no idea on that one.

Mike Goble
2nd-March-2007, 12:16 PM
The Ford parking brake is virtually the same as the Chevy one, just re-use the Nova cable. You can also fit 11" Ford drum brakes under a 14" wheel.

acd65post
10th-October-2007, 09:33 PM
I have a nine inch for my 65 with 11 " drums and the big bearing ends. What year Explorer discs will bolt on? Is there anything else that will work for a disc brake setup for the nine inch?
Thanks

NOGO
11th-October-2007, 11:07 AM
Mid to late 90s

ZNova
12th-October-2007, 01:38 PM
Ya, what NOGO said. If you want to go with brand new, here is one option that bolts right on and includes an e-brake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-Inch-Ford-Racing-Rear-Disc-Brake-Kit-2300-G-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ013QQitem Z230173520220

I put this on my 9" when I installed it, very easy to setup.

ERV JR
12th-October-2007, 03:05 PM
i got a set of willwood prostreet brakes with the parking brake and drilled rotors if intrested they are still in the box, decided on a lighter brake for racing.

JBimmolate
12th-October-2007, 06:57 PM
If you are junk yard hunting you will need a spacer to make it work on a 9". I think you can buy that seprately from Dutchman or other axle places.

Miles

Seattle_Mike
12th-October-2007, 09:11 PM
You can buy a complete kit from Ford Motorsports. I picked it up at a Ford dealer...everything you need is in the kit. It uses Explorer rears which include a built in emergency brake setup. It's around $325 from what I remember.

acd65post
12th-October-2007, 11:23 PM
Would I have to run a sixteen inch wheel to clear discs or is a 15 o.k. ?
I have seen various threads on ford nine inch , 8.8, s 10 , Versellas (spell check),etc.
Perhaps there should be something under "best of tech" or something for "rear ends for first gens " or something similar.

Thanks for the help

Seattle_Mike
13th-October-2007, 03:02 PM
I've got 15x15's on the back of mine.

jayzss
13th-October-2007, 06:25 PM
Mid 70's lincolns had rear disc brakes and 9" rearends. That's what I put on my car. Poor mans 4 wheel disc brakes.

CarreraGuy
21st-January-2008, 12:33 PM
If you were to design a Ford 9" axle for a perfect fit on an early Nova, wat would be the dimensions?

I have heard that the original axle on a early Nova was, in effect, too wide. Is this true?

Chemik
20th-July-2008, 11:59 PM
so ive found this online:

http://novaresource.org/images/reardimensions.gif
_______ A_______B______C__
62-67 | 43 1/2" | 50 3/4" | 57 3/4"
68-79 | 42 3/4" | 53 1/4" | 60 1/4"

A = Mounting plate (center to center)
B = Backing Plate to Backing Plate
C = Wheel mounting surface (drum to drum)

I have a 62 , according to these specs its 57 3/4" Wheel mounting surface-Wheel mounting surface

Im wanting to do the lincoln 9" rear but wanted to get some input from you guys.

The specs say that its 58" Wheel mounting surface-Wheel mounting surface

Would it be a safe assumption to say that I can bolt it up with no issue ? since its only 1/4" difference total, yielding a 1/8" difference on each side.

The big difference I did see was 1/4" on the mounting plates so Im guessin this will be the only thing I will need to modify . Has anyone else used this rear end? Im just asking even though its a rare rear end. thanks

Mike Goble
21st-July-2008, 12:51 AM
The Versailles rear axle will bolt right in a 62-67 Nova. You will have to find a yoke to fit with your driveshaft. I've installed a few of these.

Big Axel
21st-July-2008, 08:21 AM
The Lincoln rear has a centered pinion where the Chevy II has 1/2" pinion offset. The Lincoln brake parts are getting hard to find and are pretty expensive. Wheel spacers would fix the width problem but you'd need longer studs. If you were changing studs you could have the bolt pattern redrilled to 5x4 3/4" Chevy pattern. The yoke would be easy to change but you need to remember that the 9" is 1" shorter from the axle CL to the u-joint CL. means the driveshaft slides out of the trans 1" more.

Mike Goble
21st-July-2008, 08:29 AM
The yoke would be easy to change but you need to remember that the 9" is 1" shorter from the axle CL to the u-joint CL. means the driveshaft slides out of the trans 1" more.

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/rearend/Flange_Height.jpg

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/rearend/Flange_Height_long.jpg

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/rearend/measure.html

There are at least 4 different commonly available Ford yokes that fit the 9", and you will be able to match the length almost exactly.

Big Axel
21st-July-2008, 01:16 PM
Sorry, I'm used to dealing with billet yokes, lengths are limited.

jason snyder
21st-July-2008, 02:35 PM
arent those rearends getting expensive ? like 6-800 bucks . SEEMS you can get any rearend and have axles made(forged) and housing shortened for the same cost ? I have used this rearend also ,but it was 15 years ago and it was expensive back then .

Chemik
21st-July-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.metropartsmarket.com/rearend/Flange_Height.jpg

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/rearend/Flange_Height_long.jpg

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/rearend/measure.html

There are at least 4 different commonly available Ford yokes that fit the 9", and you will be able to match the length almost exactly.

so which one would i need in regards to a 1st gen :) ?

The Lincoln rear has a centered pinion where the Chevy II has 1/2" pinion offset. The Lincoln brake parts are getting hard to find and are pretty expensive. Wheel spacers would fix the width problem but you'd need longer studs. If you were changing studs you could have the bolt pattern redrilled to 5x4 3/4" Chevy pattern.
Can you elaborate more on this? Im not too knowledgeable on the pinion specs

arent those rearends getting expensive ? like 6-800 bucks . SEEMS you can get any rearend and have axles made(forged) and housing shortened for the same cost ? I have used this rearend also ,but it was 15 years ago and it was expensive back then .

Yea, theyre about $1400 online now (without the oem locker), I havent gone to a yard but I imagine in the $1000 range . Good thing the guy I bought the car from threw it in along with an extra 9" third member:D

1977 2L50 . Talk about tire melting gears. haha. At least it came with the oem locker. I have heard that the brake parts run about $400.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/ch3mik/chevy/ford02.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/ch3mik/chevy/ford01.jpg

Mike Goble
21st-July-2008, 10:08 PM
Can you elaborate more on this? Im not too knowledgeable on the pinion specs

Measure the distance from the axle c/l to the u-joint c/l on your original rear axle and the Ford axle. If it's shorter on the Ford, use the longer yoke.

SeventyNova
22nd-July-2008, 12:36 AM
How widely availible are the deeper pinion yokes? I checked ebay and saw about 1/2 dozen shorter ones will check locally and hit the junkyards but just wondering how availible they are.

Thanks in advance

Mike Goble
22nd-July-2008, 09:29 AM
The deeper ones are mostly found on cars, like the 60's and 70's full size ones. Trucks use the shorter version.

IIscoot
31st-July-2008, 12:17 AM
i put the versailles rear in my 63 and it was pretty much a bolt in. there is a u-joint available that allows the chevy shaft to bolt to the ford rear. i thought it would be an easy way to get 4 wheel disc. then i bought a currie posi and super strong axles so i ended up with alot in it, but i don't regret it. strong rear that i should never have to worry about. the calipers and vented rotors are heavier than they need be tho.

The Big Al
31st-July-2008, 12:24 AM
The Mustang Boys will want that rear end big time.

It's a good unit.

I got a Detroit Locker for sale that will fit perfect!!!

The disc brake stuff is easy.
Any parts store will have it or can have it in day.
the parts are "W" class but not discontinued. They are the same on a lot of FORD vehicles.

Al

Chemik
21st-August-2008, 12:35 PM
i put the versailles rear in my 63 and it was pretty much a bolt in. there is a u-joint available that allows the chevy shaft to bolt to the ford rear. i thought it would be an easy way to get 4 wheel disc. then i bought a currie posi and super strong axles so i ended up with alot in it, but i don't regret it. strong rear that i should never have to worry about. the calipers and vented rotors are heavier than they need be tho.

where would I be able to find this u joint?

chevyii
30th-September-2008, 10:42 AM
What is involved when installing a Ford 9 inch rear end on a 1st generation Chevy II ?

Mike Goble
30th-September-2008, 10:47 AM
What 9" rear are you going to install? Some bolt right in, others require some additional work.

chevyii
30th-September-2008, 11:15 AM
It is just a plan in the near future. What do you suggest in using? What I really want to do is swap out the original rear end with something better.
thanks

Mike Goble
30th-September-2008, 12:06 PM
Are you looking at a custom built rear axle, or a swap out to a stock one from another car?

chevyii
30th-September-2008, 12:55 PM
How about a rear end from another vehicle? Will they actually bolt right in?

Mike Goble
30th-September-2008, 01:00 PM
There are certain ones that will bolt right in, like those from the late 50's sedans, the Versailles/Monarch setups from the late 70's, the early Mustangs, some Broncos, etc.

jlowery78
1st-October-2008, 12:30 PM
I swapped my stock one with a 9" out of a late 60's mustang. I have a 3rd gen though. I found an article in hotrod magazine listing the total lengths of the stock chevrolet rear end, also the ford 9" rears were listed. You probably could find it in their archives. The swap was very very easy. Used the factory chevrolet driveshaft. Had to have a brake hose made, the ford brake lines were bigger. I did this swap about 13 years ago. Installed a powertrax locker in it. I have been very pleased with it. That 9" takes whatever I throw at it.:D

Nova 404
2nd-November-2008, 11:36 AM
Does anybody know what the axle offset is on a 9 inch ford with the 11 inch Torino brakes? It also has the housing ends with the 1/2 T bolts, I think they are Torino also.The reason I am asking is I found this brake kit on CL and want to know it it will fit my rear end/axles

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=1920

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/for%20sale/reardiscs.jpg

The Big Al
2nd-November-2008, 12:26 PM
Fords has standard axle flange to axle face spacing.

brakes will work with a 8inch or 9inch Ford.

Axle width will only change by the thickness of the rotor hat.

Al

Seattle_Mike
2nd-November-2008, 01:57 PM
Does anybody know what the axle offset is on a 9 inch ford with the 11 inch Torino brakes? It also has the housing ends with the 1/2 T bolts, I think they are Torino also.The reason I am asking is I found this brake kit on CL and want to know it it will fit my rear end/axles

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=1920

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/nova404/for%20sale/reardiscs.jpg

You can buy that kit directly from Ford Motorsport for less money. I bought one to put on a narrowed 9" for my Nova. From what I remember, you have to have the big bearing ends. I used some from Mark Williams. The kit pretty much bolts on...uses Explorer calipers and E-brake setup that's kind of slick. I used Lokar E-brake cables to rig it up. If you have any questions, let me know.

The Big Al
26th-January-2009, 08:54 PM
I sold my Camaro project last week. In the deal the buyer had a complete drum brake 9 inch ford rear.
It is a open rear with low 3.?? gears.

This thing has spring perch center to center measurement of 43''
Flange width of 55 3/4
Axle width of 58 1/2

This thing can bolt right into my NOVA.
Spring perch is identical, width is only 3/4 short on bolt sides. SO whoopee!

***? Where did this come from?
I mean WHERE IN THE HELL DID THIS COME FROM?:eek::confused::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Al

veno
26th-January-2009, 09:49 PM
early stang

burns
26th-January-2009, 09:53 PM
I have the same in my nova:yes:

95possom
26th-January-2009, 09:57 PM
Here ya go big al I found this when I was tring to find the right size for mine.

The information on this list was compiled by members of the Fairlane / Torino / Ranchero Mailing List. No guarantee as to the accuracy of this data.

If you have QUESTIONS about Ford 9" Rear Ends, please visit our Forum.

Year & Model Axle Length Notes
1965-1966 Mustang 57.25 inches
1967-1970 Mustang 59.25 inches
1971-1973 Mustang 61.25 inches
1977-1981 Versailles 58.50 inches
1967-1973 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 59.25 inches to
61.25 inches
1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 inches
1966-1977 Bronco 58 inches
1977-1981 Granada/Versailles 58 inches
1967-1971 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane 59.25 inches
1971-1973 Mustang 61.25 inches
1964 Falcon 58 inches
1967 Cougar 60 inches
1967 Fairlane 63.50 inches coil springs
1972 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
1973-1986 Ford Van 3/4 ton 65.25 inches
1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon
57.25 inches
narrowest 9" housing
1966-1977 Bronco 58 inches 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
1967-1973 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or
61.25 inches
1967-1971 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches
1975 Mustang II 8" 57.00 inches
1974 Maverick 8" 56.50 inches

Where To Find The Nine Inch Rear Axle
1967-1973 medium and big block Mustangs and Cougars 1966-1971 Fairlanes, Torinos, Montegos, Comets, and other Ford intermediates with big blocks.
1957-1959 V8 Fords and Mercurys
1977-1981 Lincoln Versailles & Trucks

Types Of Nine Inch Axle Housings
1967-1973 Mustang/Cougar - light duty, thinnest housing material, small axle bearings, 28 and 31 splines.
1957-1968 passenger car and 1/2 ton truck - medium duty, stronger than Mustang type, 28 and 31 splines.
Ranchero/Torino - heavy duty thick wall housing, 3.25 inch diameter axle tubes with flat tops.
1969-1977 Galaxies (coils), Lincolns (coils), and late pickups (leaf)- 3.25 inch diameter all the way to the backing plate, coil housings have upper control arm mount

How To Recognize Nine Inch Housing Centers
1957 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug.
1958-1959 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes.
1960-1967 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover.
1963-1977 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears.

Tip On Shortening Nine Inch Axles
1972 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened.

28 spline axles are tapered and cannot be shortened and re-splined.
1973 and later cars have a 5-on-5 bolt circle and the axles cannot be shortened.
1967-1973 Mustang axles can be identified by wheel flange:
Oval hole = 28 splines.
Two large holes and counter-sunk center = 31 splines.

djsanchez2
26th-January-2009, 10:24 PM
Good find! If it ends up being an early 28 spline keep us updated on how it holds up to the power. I have the same rear out of a late 60's bronco, 58" wide. I have been contemplating the upgrade to 31 spline spool/axles.

tonys64
26th-January-2009, 11:12 PM
Out of all the rear ends listed by 95Possom Which one is the BEST ONE FOR A 64 NOVA

supernovanator
26th-January-2009, 11:19 PM
Out of all the rear ends listed by 95Possom Which one is the BEST ONE FOR A 64 NOVA

factory rear is 57.75" from drum to drum on 62-67 Novas. Versailles rear is supposedly only .25" wider...

Tarantula
26th-January-2009, 11:26 PM
Good Deal!. This info will come in handy!

D-Man
27th-January-2009, 10:38 AM
I sold my Camaro project last week. In the deal the buyer had a complete drum brake 9 inch ford rear.
It is a open rear with low 3.?? gears.

This thing has spring perch center to center measurement of 43''
Flange width of 55 3/4
Axle width of 58 1/2

This thing can bolt right into my NOVA.
Spring perch is identical, width is only 3/4 short on bolt sides. SO whoopee!

***? Where did this come from?
I mean WHERE IN THE HELL DID THIS COME FROM?:eek::confused::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Al

Now, for around another $700 (or more depending on the options you want) you can have a nodular (BIG bearing) center section (I get mine straight through Canfield---same as the Moser since John sells 90% of them to Greg Mosier :D), spool, 35 or 40 spline axles, a modified Daytona pinion support (for oil return), 4340 billet yoke and whatever gears you want.
Then, if it's all set-up right, you won't be able to hurt it on your BEST day.:yes::devil:
The down-side....Then the rear-end will weigh as much as the rear of your car!! I'm thinking seriously about sending my axles back and having them gun drilled and the flanges lightened. There's several pounds to be removed there!!

Excellent find!!

The Big Al
27th-January-2009, 12:38 PM
Now, for around another $700 (or more depending on the options you want) you can have a nodular (BIG bearing) center section (I get mine straight through Canfield---same as the Moser since John sells 90% of them to Greg Mosier :D), spool, 35 or 40 spline axles, a modified Daytona pinion support (for oil return), 4340 billet yoke and whatever gears you want.
Then, if it's all set-up right, you won't be able to hurt it on your BEST day.:yes::devil:
The down-side....Then the rear-end will weigh as much as the rear of your car!! I'm thinking seriously about sending my axles back and having them gun drilled and the flanges lightened. There's several pounds to be removed there!!

Excellent find!!

true enough.

But don't forget where I am located.
I am in the middle of NASCAR country, lockers and spools, H bearing cases and parts are plentiful.:D
They do use the big 40 sline axles with there stuff.
I have this gear now. Look how it's back cut.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/218/9inchrpse2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

fasteddie
27th-January-2009, 01:03 PM
true enough.

I am in the middle of NASCAR country, lockers and spools, H bearing cases and parts are plentiful.:D

Hey Al!
I bought a set of those gears also from a seller on Ebay and am putting them in this weekend! The deburring and polish on those are awesome!

D-Man
27th-January-2009, 01:32 PM
true enough.

Sweet!!!:yes: Gotta love the lightening tricks those circle track boys play!! Just remember they don't see the "Shock load" of a trans-break in circle track racing. Some of the super-light stuff they use we will have problems with in our sport.
Plentiful big-bearing center sections and pinion supports huh?.?.? Lucky.....:rolleyes:
Some people have all the luck!!

Greg_R_63
27th-January-2009, 01:37 PM
factory rear is 57.75" from drum to drum on 62-67 Novas. Versailles rear is supposedly only .25" wider...

I guess I'm a little surprised that I don't hear more about Nova guys using the 65-66 Mustang rear for 62-67 Novas. Wouldn't it make sense to use a rear that is 1/2" narrower, lessening the need for deeper backspacing, and still being able to use the stock leaf spring location? Aside from having to move the mounts on the rear, a pretty common operation, and getting Chevy pattern axles, again very easy, am I missing something?

Fast Eddie
27th-January-2009, 07:16 PM
I guess I'm a little surprised that I don't hear more about Nova guys using the 65-66 Mustang rear for 62-67 Novas. Wouldn't it make sense to use a rear that is 1/2" narrower, lessening the need for deeper backspacing, and still being able to use the stock leaf spring location? Aside from having to move the mounts on the rear, a pretty common operation, and getting Chevy pattern axles, again very easy, am I missing something?

I use the 57.25 in my 66 with a Detroit Locker and 31 spline Currie axles. Updated to a 1350 yoke and Inland Empire Driveline. I got things just like I like it....simple and bullet proof.

Camgrinder
27th-January-2009, 07:56 PM
Before you get carried away with this rear end, measure it for pinion center. Some of the Fords have too much pinion offset and your driveshaft can hit the tunnel.

Dan_Lebherz
28th-January-2009, 02:13 PM
Fast Eddie,
I am curious if you have mini-tubbed the rear of your car. If not, what size rims and tires are you able to run with the stock tubs? Safe to assume you had no problem with the pinion offset?

These rear ends are available on e-bay, Craig's list and others for usually about $600-800 including axles. Pretty much the same as the aftermarket Camaro 9" housings. By the time you add a center section, backing plates, brakes, etc, you are still up in the $1,700-$2,000 range, depending on options. Anyone succeed in doing the 9" swap into a first gen for much less?

The Big Al
28th-January-2009, 05:28 PM
Before you get carried away with this rear end, measure it for pinion center. Some of the Fords have too much pinion offset and your driveshaft can hit the tunnel.

you know if you jinx me I will have to kill you!:devil:

The Big Al
28th-January-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey Al!
I bought a set of those gears also from a seller on Ebay and am putting them in this weekend! The deburring and polish on those are awesome!

Sweet!!!:yes: Gotta love the lightening tricks those circle track boys play!! Just remember they don't see the "Shock load" of a trans-break in circle track racing. Some of the super-light stuff they use we will have problems with in our sport.
Plentiful big-bearing center sections and pinion supports huh?.?.? Lucky.....:rolleyes:
Some people have all the luck!!

Also all the NASCAR gears are x-rayed (not maginfluxed) X-RAYED! then shot pinged, then sent out after machining to have that cold fusion treatment.

NASCAR's new gear rule sure did hurt the availability of this stuff. PMO!:mad:

62II
29th-January-2009, 10:09 AM
Late 50's Fairlane have similar rearends to the one you found. I have one from a '58 for my convertible.:cool:

79novaSS4
5th-June-2009, 02:36 PM
Ok I just thought I would share some info with you guys. I have discovered the a Ford 9" from a 1957 For Fairlane is a direct bolt in fit in the 4th gen novas which in terms shaould also fit a 3rd gen as well. Leaf spring mounts are exactly the same width apart.The only thing I am unsure with is the brake line size as I switch to disc brakes and had to do new lines for that.
The rear end is a little bit shorter than the stock nova rear BUT if you have the right backspacing everything will still be good. My setup works good still with no spacers and no shock relocation and still have almost 1" of clearance between the rim and the shock mount. I have pics in the 4th gen section of the new rear in my nova.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123096
I hope this helps some of you guys out with your quest to a better, stronger rear end.

deuceman
5th-June-2009, 03:12 PM
Ok I just thought I would share some info with you guys. I have discovered the a Ford 9" from a 1957 For Fairlane is a direct bolt in fit in the 4th gen novas which in terms shaould also fit a 3rd gen as well. Leaf spring mounts are exactly the same width apart.The only thing I am unsure with is the brake line size as I switch to disc brakes and had to do new lines for that.
The rear end is a little bit shorter than the stock nova rear BUT if you have the right backspacing everything will still be good. My setup works good still with no spacers and no shock relocation and still have almost 1" of clearance between the rim and the shock mount. I have pics in the 4th gen section of the new rear in my nova.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123096
I hope this helps some of you guys out with your quest to a better, stronger rear end.

I would have to think those from a 57 ford fairlane would be a little rare.

79novaSS4
5th-June-2009, 03:17 PM
Here in mn we have a junk yard that dont crush old classics and actually have quite a few of those in there. For those who have these types of yards in there area it should be available. I learned this info and thought I would share it cuz all I ever heard that fit before were the 67 mustang rears and those have 4 lugs lol. I do agree they can be rare but I think finding one in a yard will likely still have the rear in it compared to a mustang lol.

Baddbob
5th-June-2009, 04:28 PM
I have two of those rearends, the pinion is offset different than the stock nova rearends I believe. We narrowed one and installed it in my Son's 70 but centered the pinion and installed the larger bearing housing ends, 31 splin axles and a back brace- A person is much farther ahead using a later 9" housing though as they are much stronger.

The 57 housings are tough to find because they truly are a bolt in replacement for an 8" on the early mustangs and a lot of them got used up years ago.

Also, don't throw much power at that 57 Ford center section-that is the weakest casting Ford made for the 9". The pinion support area usually breaks clean off if the car hooks good.

79novaSS4
7th-June-2009, 02:58 PM
Nope I when I got the rear end I talked the yard into giving me a newer style third member lol. I knew better than that lol. I play my cards right and so far so good lol I will let you know about the pinion line up in a few days as that is the next thing I am installing.

photoman
7th-June-2009, 07:03 PM
FYI...

I ran a '69 Cougar rear axle assy for a few years. Was a bolt it for my '69 Nova.

69novamn
9th-June-2009, 03:23 PM
Q: Of the Ford 9 inch rear ends that some of you have installed...which one is the most common or easiest to find?

A1: you should look into the 60 something to 77 small bronco ones for the 64 but they have to be re drilled for 4.75 bolt circle the rears are 5 or more hard to find good rims

A2: Mine came out of a Bronco and was 57", filled it with 4.11 Richmond Gears, Detroit Locker and 31 splune Currie axles. Look for one with large axle bearings. You can use the housing with the small bearings but are limited to 31 spline axles.:yes:

A3: might be limited but a 31 spline axle is a beefy axle

A4: I found mine at art morrison and strange engineering. 31 spline, plenty strong for my needs. JR

A5: 1970 mustang

A6: 63 thunderbird

taz3
26th-June-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm debating buying a used 9" what do I look for, fitment wise and is it difficult finding something that will bolt right in. My 12 bolt has a damaged pinion bearing and yoke, I need to wait 2-3 weeks for parts, so I'm looking at all my options for a used rear end. 12 bolts are too pricey, and 8.5's are also an option, but I've located a couple 9" units, I'm just not sure if there are good ones and bad or weaker ones. I like the fact I can re & re the 3rd member.

Bill's II
27th-June-2009, 01:32 AM
Hey Now Taz, I don't know about 3rd gen fitment, but the old Ford Falcon Station Wagons 60's era work on the 1st Gen Chevy II/Novas. Could be a starting place for searching. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

The Big Al
27th-June-2009, 03:34 AM
the pinion bearing and race is available at most real part stores.

The yoke is available at any quality drive shaft shop.

Summit has the yoke.

1310 joint http://classicstore.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSR%2DPY110&N=700+4294839045+4294844460+4294901329+115&autoview=sku

1350 joint http://classicstore.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=STR%2DU1602&N=700+4294839045+4294844460+4294901329+115&autoview=sku

bearing
http://classicstore.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RAT%2D7004&N=700+4294817702+115&autoview=sku

info:
http://classicstore.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294839045+4294844460+115+4294 901329

Fast Eddie
27th-June-2009, 10:21 AM
The older Ford Broncos are 57" end to end.

taz3
30th-August-2009, 02:13 PM
Here's a link of 9" rear info

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm