Cylinder Head Opinions [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Cylinder Head Opinions

Trav67
29th-April-2009, 09:24 PM
Thinking of new heads, and would like a good quality head for the money, Iron or Aluminum for a SBC.....Near as I can tell AFR's seem to be the way to fly but spendy, but I would like to hear opinions on good heads, bad heads, and anywhere in between.....

Any opinions on Canfield? Edelbrock? Jegs? Brodix? Etc.....

I saw some "Procomp" heads for sale on Ebay nearby that are cheap, but haven't heard good things.....

All opinions welcome.....Thanks

6NOVA4
29th-April-2009, 09:47 PM
For the money I like the canfields or the summit heads. The smaller cc heads are made by trick flow and the larger cc heads are made by brodix. Before you put them on your engine be sure and check the spring installed height to be sure they're right for your cam and check the valve job for good seal. I do like the AFR's though, but unless your building a race engine you can save some money and use the others mentioned. The dart iron eagles are a good choice too.

Trav67
30th-April-2009, 03:39 AM
Ok, cool, I appreciate the input, any idea who makes Jegs's heads?

6NOVA4
30th-April-2009, 03:45 AM
no I don't but I wouldnt be surprised if brodix or canfield or or world products makes them.

carjai
30th-April-2009, 03:52 AM
I was told the Jegs heads were made by Canfield

Tubbed63
30th-April-2009, 08:19 AM
And summit aluminum heads are brodix IK series of heads.

74 hatchback
30th-April-2009, 10:09 AM
Had a set of iron sportsman2's before and didnt do any better that my old 186 camelhumps, Id go for the eddy's or the AFR's

D-Man
30th-April-2009, 11:05 AM
Thinking of new heads, and would like a good quality head for the money, Iron or Aluminum for a SBC.....Near as I can tell AFR's seem to be the way to fly but spendy, but I would like to hear opinions on good heads, bad heads, and anywhere in between.....

Any opinions on Canfield? Edelbrock? Jegs? Brodix? Etc.....

I saw some "Procomp" heads for sale on Ebay nearby that are cheap, but haven't heard good things.....

All opinions welcome.....Thanks

There's a LOT of good options when it comes to aftermarket cylinder head offerings these days.:yes:
Canfield, Dart, RHS, Brodix, TrickFlow, and Edelbrock are all good heads. All of the Summit or Jegs heads are just reboxed Brodix, TrickFlow or Canfield heads. No problem there.:no:
I'd also look at the new ProFiler SBC heads. From what I've heard, they are showing REAL promise and are under a grand complete!!

I'd steer clear of the off-shore castings.:yes: Sure there might be some satisfied customers but there's quite a few that were delivered junk as well.:yes: I'm one of them. I had a customer bring me a set of SBF Patriot heads that were JUNK. :puke::horse:

:stir::stir::stir::stir:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

veno
30th-April-2009, 11:29 AM
Out of the BOx performance.. AFR.. Brodix has always been known as a porters head... if your going to spend money on a head for porting.. brodix heads have always yielded superior performance.... Canfield, Trick flow, Edelbrocks Victor Jr and Victor heads are monsters when ported right.. Dart Pro1, proFiler, all Good heads.....

your intended use should dictate the level of head, then its just a matter of what bells and whistles you want to pay for...

After a professional port job on any of the heads listed... for a given runner size and valve face..... they will all be with in a few CFM of each other....

If your going to have a set of head professionally ported.. Contact your porter and ask what heads HE has been getting the best numbers and dyno performance from...

bowtie0069
30th-April-2009, 11:48 AM
I have a set of Pro Comp's being ported right now. I'll let you know how they work on the 383 I'm putting together. Should flow close to 300 cfm.

71SS454
30th-April-2009, 12:31 PM
The Jeg's heads are Canfield castings. They are a little cheaper to buy them as Jeg's heads than stright from Canfield, but if there's an issue, you have to call Jeg's, you can't call Canfield about them, per say.

jason snyder
30th-April-2009, 12:36 PM
canfield for aluminum , and topline/rhs for iron ! you cant beat topline/rhs for performance and budget !!

SMLBLK66
30th-April-2009, 12:43 PM
What kind of combo are you looking to put together? Ive ran brodix,edlebrok,afr, motown 220,iron eagles and good ol fueliie heads. It all depends on your combo and what you are wanting to do with it. Any of the heads prev. Mentioned will work but some will work beter than others in certain departments. Give us all little info on what you got going on.

levisnteeshirt
30th-April-2009, 02:57 PM
i'd look at the GM big port vortec heads ,,

http://www.castheads.com/factory_chevy_vortec_bowtie.php

MANGOPUPPY
30th-April-2009, 03:03 PM
Canfield heads are decent and make good power right out of the box.

Trav67
30th-April-2009, 04:59 PM
What kind of combo are you looking to put together? Ive ran brodix,edlebrok,afr, motown 220,iron eagles and good ol fueliie heads. It all depends on your combo and what you are wanting to do with it. Any of the heads prev. Mentioned will work but some will work beter than others in certain departments. Give us all little info on what you got going on.

It's a 383, right now it has a Victor Jr on it with a Demon 750, and 12.5 to 1 pistons, and a .555 lift solid cam......The motor is coming out however and getting reworked with about a 9.5-1 (forged) piston, a healthy hydraulic cam, and planning to have it setup for a Procharger.....Out back is a Currie 9" with a Detroit Locker, and am trunning a TH350 full manual with a 3300 Stall....

D-Man
30th-April-2009, 05:19 PM
It's a 383, right now it has a Victor Jr on it with a Demon 750, and 12.5 to 1 pistons, and a .555 lift solid cam......The motor is coming out however and getting reworked with about a 9.5-1 (forged) piston, a healthy hydraulic cam, and planning to have it setup for a Procharger.....Out back is a Currie 9" with a Detroit Locker, and am trunning a TH350 full manual with a 3300 Stall....

12.5:1 with what size heads? Are they dome or flat top pistons?

For use with a ProCharger (or any brand super charger) you might need to lower the compression a bit more.:yes:

I would consider staying with a solid flat tappet over any hydraulic lifter.:yes: Quite a bit more performance to be had with all of the same dependability on the street.:D

3300 stall huh? Even if it's left alone it's gonna grow quite a bit with some REAL power in front of it.:devil:

Denis the Menace
30th-April-2009, 06:43 PM

12.5:1 with what size heads? Are they dome or flat top pistons?

For use with a ProCharger (or any brand super charger) you might need to lower the compression a bit more.:yes:

I would consider staying with a solid flat tappet over any hydraulic lifter.:yes: Quite a bit more performance to be had with all of the same dependability on the street.:D

3300 stall huh? Even if it's left alone it's gonna grow quite a bit with some REAL power in front of it.:devil:

Dude, you quoted the quote he's going from 12.5:1 to 9.5:1:yes:

D-Man
1st-May-2009, 12:05 PM
Dude, you quoted the quote he's going from 12.5:1 to 9.5:1:yes:

And made it a point to say it might need to go a little lower to accommodate the boost.:yes:
:poke::poke: