Any inline 6'ers change from points to HEI? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Any inline 6'ers change from points to HEI?

Irie
2nd-February-2009, 05:05 PM
Anyone ever swap the old points-type out to an HEI distributor?

-Jay (IRIE)

arndog
2nd-February-2009, 06:01 PM
yep works like a charm. I got one from a junkyard and one off ebay.

In one case I did not switch out the resistor wire and other I did. both worked fine.

arndog

Irie
2nd-February-2009, 08:53 PM
Any specific unit/model?

Exlimey
2nd-February-2009, 09:57 PM
Someone mentioned this kit to me (not too many pick-a-part places around here to grab a dist from a newer, HEI vehicle to swap out.)

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=3000-0226&lvl=5&prt=161

redhead69
2nd-February-2009, 11:37 PM
I pulled a junk yard HEI from I believe a 78 truck with a 250 L6.. bought all new internals for it. Im into it about 50 bucks. One of the best things Ive done to my car.. increased mpg, starts alot quicker, and feels like I might have actually gained some performance. It truely has been a "set it and forget" item.

redhead69
2nd-February-2009, 11:42 PM
yep works like a charm. I got one from a junkyard and one off ebay.

In one case I did not switch out the resistor wire and other I did. both worked fine.

arndog

How is this so? Doesnt that wire after heating up reduce voltage to like 7 volts? I wouldnt think it would be running very well, if at all if your using that wire to power your HEI.

Here is a good write up on a conversion done in a 67-72 truck..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=148346

sLOW63
2nd-February-2009, 11:55 PM
I'd say it's almost a must to swap to a HEI....
other cars to look for in the yard are 75-76 novas had HEI's.....

you have to change the coil, I think for one it .5 ohms and the other is 2.0 ohms, not sure which goes to which....

been a while since I did it, but I think it's run a wire direct from ignition switch to coil and coil to distributor. I just ran a new wire and still have the stock wire in place (I'll pull it out when i rewire the whole front and clean it up)

redhead69
3rd-February-2009, 12:10 AM
You will want an hei from 75-79.. these have the 4 pin module your after. The later years use a 5 pin for a knock sensor.

6NOVA4
3rd-February-2009, 03:01 AM
my brother did the swap in our 63 wagon. sometimes it wouldnt start I had to redo the wiring to the starter and feed the HEI correctly, Worked great after that. Started up 1st turn of the key everytime.

onecarnut
3rd-February-2009, 08:42 AM
Pickups and vans are the best donors. You can get the HEI with the coil seperated, or with coil in cap.

I have made this conversion a few times, and the results were always good.

sgtsteve
3rd-February-2009, 08:53 AM
One of the 1st things that I did....like others said look for mid 70 GM cars/trucks with inline 6's. Get the HEI with the coil in the cap.
One of the best, cheapest upgrades you can do :)

RichP
3rd-February-2009, 08:55 AM
What would be a good donor for a 64 model 194 .

RichP
3rd-February-2009, 03:21 PM
Do they make a hei type distributor for the 194 inline ???

RichP
3rd-February-2009, 03:31 PM
I have been doing some reading has anyone used this Pertronix setup ??

65Nova4door
3rd-February-2009, 03:37 PM
I have the petronix and an hei setup. Not sure which one I will go with...

RichP
3rd-February-2009, 03:39 PM
Like to run across a used one cheap to try and see how it works maybe i should post an ad .

tony
3rd-February-2009, 03:48 PM
I have been doing some reading has anyone used this Pertronix setup ??

Did the Pertronix Ignitor on a '63 194 w/ Mallory coil ., Offenhauser intake & Holley 390 cfm 4 bbl... Pertronix is SUPER simple to install., and the car started EVERY time... No problems with Pertronix whatsoever..

chevyguyal
3rd-February-2009, 04:14 PM
i have run both pertronix and changed to HEI...with pertronix very easy..just changing existing wires out....remove point set up and attach new parts and remove existing rotor bolt up new pieces and put rotor back on approx.20-30 to do....For HEI just buy a rebuilt very cheap for about mid/late 70s 74-79 chevy all will fit along as you dont have firewall clearance probs.....oh if using pertronix use thread locker on bolts that hold rotor and pieces together.......:devil:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/chevyguy268/IMG_4615.jpg

Exlimey
3rd-February-2009, 08:38 PM
I just checked Napa online and a reman for a 77 Nova 250 would be $134.

ACH57
4th-February-2009, 08:02 PM
I just got one from Langdon's inlines for my 230 (same as 194 and 250). It comes complete with the rebuilt distributor, cap, rotor, and external coil for about $105 shipped. Put it in and it fired up the first time it cranked over. It also idles a lot smoother than the stock points setup, but I have not driven it yet. I had to run a 10 gauge (yes 10!) wire to the distributor which was the hardest part of the switch which is generally recommended by most people that have done them. The original wire is 18 gauge and has a built in resistance so the points don't get the full 12 volts when running.

Ricky B
4th-February-2009, 08:35 PM
Did the Pertronix Ignitor on a '63 194 w/ Mallory coil ., Offenhauser intake & Holley 390 cfm 4 bbl... Pertronix is SUPER simple to install., and the car started EVERY time... No problems with Pertronix whatsoever..

Ditto for me on this whole set-up & the Petronix Ign. was reasonable from Napa Auto Parts !!! Best thing is it still looks "stock" !!!!!:yes::yes::yes::D

jimbo63
5th-February-2009, 02:52 PM
I had a tip from a previous post from user "tnblkc230wz" to try Pertronix and Im looking to order the parts.

Heres what Pertronix recommended for me which was the replacement kit

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=1162A/591.0.26484.26485.0.0.0

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=40511/591.0.9435.0.0.0.0

I have taken off the distributor and unscrewed too many screws along the way and wonder how its best to put it back together.

heres a pic of the distributor

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo320/msgdesign/distributor/?action=view&current=distributor.jpg

the top plate seems to be what i will replace so I guess I shouldnt be worried about it, but I unscrewed the smaller screws from the lower area as you can see in the photo. I kept taking screws out cause it didnt slide out easy as one piece. It rocked up and down but wouldnt let go.

Assuming I get the parts back in place and get the Pertronix replacement parts, how much rewiring is involved? Is it just replacing existing wires and condensor? And is the Vacuum Control still needed?

If so I found this part online with Napa
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=ECH&PartNumber=VC1415&Description=Distributor+Vacuum+Advance+Control

65Nova4door
5th-February-2009, 03:06 PM
I am going to try to do the petronix thing this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Irie
8th-February-2009, 10:42 PM
Anyone have the Pertronix Ignitor part number? Can't seem to locate it online.
Also, would it be necessary to replace the coil?

tony
8th-February-2009, 10:51 PM
The Pertronix part number is #1162A for 1963-1974 Chevrolet Inline 6 Cyl.
I would advise using a good quality aftermarket coil., but it is not entirely neccessary...

nova_rookie
8th-February-2009, 11:14 PM
The Pertronix part number is #1162A for 1963-1974 Chevrolet Inline 6 Cyl.
I would advise using a good quality aftermarket coil., but it is not entirely neccessary...

If I recall the Pertronix instructions correctly, you should replace the ballast wire from the firewall to the coil. I ran with the ballast wire on for about a year but I think it is designed to have 12V.

65Nova4door
25th-February-2009, 01:33 AM
Anyone have the Pertronix Ignitor part number? Can't seem to locate it online.
Also, would it be necessary to replace the coil?

I just finished up the pertronix swap tonight. Here are the part numbers:
Flame thrower II coil - Part #45001
Ignitor II - Part # 91162A
Flame thrower II 7.00mm stock look plug wires - Part # 706101

I actually started on Sunday, but it didn't work out so well. I put it back to stock this afternoon with a new distributor and rotor. Once I got it running well, I put the pertronix stuff back on. My problems were due to 'user error' and not to the product. :o

The 2nd time around, I knew what I was doing and it only took me about 20 min to do the distributor stuff. I got that running and then installed the flame thrower coil too.

I have a couple of questions:
1. In the instructions for the coil, it says:
"Solid core spark plug wires MUST NOT be used."
Can someone tell me what these are?

2. Can someone tell me what the ballast resitors/ballast wires look like (pictures might be the best)?
3. What should the timing be set too? I was looking in my manual and it says to look at the sticker under the hood for the correct setting :no:

I took a bunch of pictures and will post a short 'write-up' of the install.

Irie
25th-February-2009, 02:51 PM
Due to me being part of the NOCU Association (Nova Owner Collecting Unemployment) and having no extra money spend - I just put in new points and condenser. However, just yesterday, a friend of mine handed me an HEI distributor from his old 250... at no cost!

lugnut
25th-February-2009, 05:28 PM
Due to me being part of the NOCU Association (Nova Owner Collecting Unemployment) and having no extra money spend - I just put in new points and condenser. However, just yesterday, a friend of mine handed me an HEI distributor from his old 250... at no cost!

No cost is always good!

65Nova4door
25th-February-2009, 06:22 PM

Sorry to hear about the job Jay. It's good to hear you found an hei unit though.

Nova_Power4
25th-February-2009, 06:35 PM
l never bothered mines tweaked full advance at idel she screamss!!!
i get about 800km tank

nova_rookie
25th-February-2009, 10:05 PM
The wire that runs from the firewall connector to the coil is the ballast wire. It has a cloth covering and if you look closely at the wire you can see it is not copper. Like I said, I ran for a year with the Petronix having less than 12V but I removed the wire to get 12V like the Pertronix instructions say.

I just finished up the pertronix swap tonight. Here are the part numbers:
Flame thrower II coil - Part #45001
Ignitor II - Part # 91162A
Flame thrower II 7.00mm stock look plug wires - Part # 706101

I actually started on Sunday, but it didn't work out so well. I put it back to stock this afternoon with a new distributor and rotor. Once I got it running well, I put the pertronix stuff back on. My problems were due to 'user error' and not to the product. :o

The 2nd time around, I knew what I was doing and it only took me about 20 min to do the distributor stuff. I got that running and then installed the flame thrower coil too.

I have a couple of questions:
1. In the instructions for the coil, it says:
"Solid core spark plug wires MUST NOT be used."
Can someone tell me what these are?

2. Can someone tell me what the ballast resitors/ballast wires look like (pictures might be the best)?
3. What should the timing be set too? I was looking in my manual and it says to look at the sticker under the hood for the correct setting :no:

I took a bunch of pictures and will post a short 'write-up' of the install.

Fredsgarage
25th-February-2009, 10:15 PM
Okay along the way to my research I have become obsessed with Hei's for the Chevy Six. There are quite a few on ebay all of the time, new and used. MSD, still makes the most expensive one, Mallory has one, and a couple of companies have brand X new ones listed on ebay.
The 82-85 units from trucks have some kind of distinct advantage with timing control and were recommended on a Turbo website.

I like the Langdon's units as well and the price is good.

However I ended up buying a cool blueprinted "Stinger" HEI from MrHotRod6 out of Dania Beach Florida. Mike has been racing 250 inliners for quite awhile and builds these little babies himself to compliment any of the MSD boxes for half the price. You can find his "store" on ebay by his moniker. I will use a MSD 6AL box with mine and a matching MSD SS Blaster coil.

Should compliment my cam and eventual "Lump ported head" Mike will be fixin up to breathe some serious Inline Six type power into the ol trusty 250.:devil:

65Nova4door
13th-March-2009, 08:08 PM
The wire that runs from the firewall connector to the coil is the ballast wire. It has a cloth covering and if you look closely at the wire you can see it is not copper. Like I said, I ran for a year with the Petronix having less than 12V but I removed the wire to get 12V like the Pertronix instructions say.

It turns out that my coil was wired directly to the starter. No ballast wire from what I can tell. All of the wires were in bad shape, so I decided to order a new engine wiring harness from classic. It should be here next week.

Anyway, here is some info from my install:
http://63chevyii.com/nova_technical_articles/pertronix_install/pertronix_ignitorII.htm

tearsofblood139
14th-March-2009, 03:12 AM
Noob question but how hard is it to do this procedure? :confused:

novajoe
14th-March-2009, 04:28 AM
I have done both sets ups and can say they are a great upgrade for your Nova (wifes daily driver convertible ) Sports the HEI in her fresh 230, I ran a 10 guage wire with a reused factory plug and soldered right to the plug at firewall connector, that feeds the 12Volts to the HEI, another thing I did was to Recurve the distributor so that I would not get that full advance and pinging I think it was a 10degree vacuum can swap as well, Starts and runs so smooth as well as better MPG and power band, I ran the pertronix in my little 4dr still in there been in 5years still works great! JAy if you need a hand or need that 10guage wire I have an extra made up with the factory plug and could help you and dial it in .:yes: ****dont forget guys you need HEI wires and will have to open up the spark plug gap a little bit 42-44 ish . NOvajoe

65Nova4door
20th-January-2010, 06:15 PM
I have done both sets ups and can say they are a great upgrade for your Nova (wifes daily driver convertible ) Sports the HEI in her fresh 230, I ran a 10 guage wire with a reused factory plug and soldered right to the plug at firewall connector, that feeds the 12Volts to the HEI, another thing I did was to Recurve the distributor so that I would not get that full advance and pinging I think it was a 10degree vacuum can swap as well, Starts and runs so smooth as well as better MPG and power band, I ran the pertronix in my little 4dr still in there been in 5years still works great! JAy if you need a hand or need that 10guage wire I have an extra made up with the factory plug and could help you and dial it in .:yes: ****dont forget guys you need HEI wires and will have to open up the spark plug gap a little bit 42-44 ish . NOvajoe

Novajoe, do you have any pics of what you did?

Rotorbolt
22nd-January-2010, 01:38 PM
An HEI upgrade is one of the best upgrades you can do to a points engine. I've run both pertronix and HEI with no problems from either. The pertronix probably requires the least ammount of work and parts.
Personally, I like an HEI. Mainly due to the fact that parts for them or whole replacement units can be easily obtained through any auto parts store.
I always factor in replacement service parts avaliability when upgrading parts.
If a pertronix module ever goes bad (never experienced or heard of it happening though) , then you'll more than likely have to wait on a replacement to be ordered. Not good if you're stuck on the side of the road. BUT, if an HEI module ever goes out, chances are a nearby parts store has one in stock that can get you back on the road the same day.
OR you can switch back to a set of points temporarily while a new pertroninx is on the way. Kinda' hard to decide on which to go sometimes. Both are great.

Siva64
22nd-January-2010, 01:45 PM
Ditto for me on this whole set-up & the Petronix Ign. was reasonable from Napa Auto Parts !!! Best thing is it still looks "stock" !!!!!:yes::yes::yes::D

I've got Petronix on my 194, very happy with it, and like Ricky B said, can't beat that it looks stock!

65Nova4door
22nd-January-2010, 02:03 PM
OR you can switch back to a set of points temporarily while a new pertroninx is on the way.

I carry the stuff from the points setup in my trunk.

can't beat that it looks stock!

Thats why I like it. :yes:

Ricky B
22nd-January-2010, 03:55 PM
Year & a half , I'm still likin' it !!!! :thumbsup: :D

I'm gonna do what Novajoe suggested at the end of his March 14th response. I'm due for new wires & check my plugs, before the Martinez BBQ !!!!
Anyone know of wires that work right & look stock ? :cool:

How's it going Jay ? :)

Aloha, Ric

scott33mull
6th-May-2010, 11:04 AM
Got a Petronix that I am going to list for sale if anyone is interested? Ended up with two off of Ebay, only need one. Long story. Part #1162A

350 Motor Head
27th-January-2011, 03:30 PM
Ive got another toy that is a 66 Nova that I put a new crate 350 in it. I did not like the thoughts of points in the dist. again so I bought a new MSD 8362 HEI Street Fire distributor. It only required 2 wires. One is anoutput for a tachometer. The second one is connected to the switching 12 VDC from the ignition switch. It ran good for a few 100 mile snd then....My MSD 8362 would fire for 3 to 5 minutes and then die. It would then after a few starts and die outs would keep running. Then it just completely quit firing. After troubleshooting I discovered that the module had gone bad. I bought a new one. When removing the old one I discovered that the heat sink compond (White) on the bottom surface was so thin and dried up that it was not tranferring any heat. If you change out a module use plenty of the white stuf to completely cover the two surfaces and do not use the silicon grease that comes with the new one as it will liquify and drip down in the distributor and then you will have a heat issue. The next thing that I discovered was poor grounding. I only had a ground from the block to the battery negative. This leaves the distributor with no ground due to the gasket to the intake and oil covered contact with the cam gear. So I installed a 4 gauge wire from the battery negative to the frame and another one from the frame to the back intake bolt. Then I installed an 18 gauge wire from the intake to the screw inside the distributor that holds on the vaccum advance. The wire can just squeeze under the cap. Now the distrutor itself is properly grounded and with a special probe and scope I can see a real clean spark profile. I have been running with the new module now for over 6,000 miles with fairly good mileage and great performance. The main thing with the HEI distributor is understanding proper heat dissapation and grounding. It is a fine distributor if installed properly. One note is that MSD installation instructions really should be updated iwith these tips and the distributor should come with more heat sink compound under the module.

65Nova4door
26th-February-2011, 03:59 PM
I have a new engine wiring harness from american autowire. Coupled with the white resistor/ballast wire, is a pink wire. At the distributor theres is also a wire wire. I suspected that this pink wire ran straight from the starter to the distributor. I unwrapped it a ways back and this is the case. Do I still need to run another wire for 12 volts?