Sacramento area engine builders [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Sacramento area engine builders

f16fxr4real
15th-January-2009, 07:52 PM
Anyone have a good shop to reccommend? Thinking about having my 350 rebuilt with a 375-400 hp goal in mind. Found a place on Ebay but thats about it so far. thanks for replies
this is the shop I found, not sure about the parts though
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-350-Performance-Basic-Crate-Engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a7 Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ hashZitem320332237434QQitemZ320332237434QQptZMotor sQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

VooDooII
15th-January-2009, 08:29 PM
1 place Lloyd's engineering 925-625-0100 real good and very reasonable tell Mike that Joe with nova sent you, I send people there all the time and no disappointments:no:

Vin63
15th-January-2009, 09:19 PM
Dave Riolo built stuff for me a long, long time ago (Roseville these days, I believe). Since it's not much further, I would also have to recommend my current engine builder, Mike Blackstone at Watson Racing and Engineering in Concord; or, S&S Automotive in San Leandro and Ricky Santos - he set up my heads. Good luck.

f16fxr4real
15th-January-2009, 09:41 PM
and asked you guys in person at the BBQ. However, over here there isnt much to do but "internet race" and look for things Id like to buy or do to the car in my off time.

VooDooII
16th-January-2009, 01:04 AM
Dave Riolo built stuff for me a long, long time ago (Roseville these days, I believe). Since it's not much further, I would also have to recommend my current engine builder, Mike Blackstone at Watson Racing and Engineering in Concord; or, S&S Automotive in San Leandro and Ricky Santos - he set up my heads. Good luck.

Mike Blackstone, 1badnov used to work for him:eek::devil: and my old boss Ray Newton paid for Mikes house engine dyno and his bass boat.

LIL NOVE
16th-January-2009, 06:06 PM
MOTOR MACHINE in Sac, he did my buddy's Camaro its a 565 BBC, w/ a single 106mm turbo. and they just did my 408 turbo sbc. hope this helps...

JOHN

aron69nova
16th-January-2009, 06:59 PM
if you have basic tools and a clean place to put stuff together why not build it yourself? I honestly don't think it's that difficult, and 400hp out of a small block is very very doable with today's heads and cam designs.

do some 180cc or 190cc AFR heads with a 230-240ish duration hydraulic roller with 550-580 lift or so on a 110lsa with a static compression ratio of about 10:1 and a performer rpm air gap or equivalent, 650-750 double pumper or even one of the 800cfm quadrajets, a basic HEI and a 1 3/4 header and I'd say you're well into 400 horsepower territory. that's with a 350, you'd make gobs more torque with a 383 setup.

any second opinions on this? this could easily be done in a clean environment with a basic torque wrench and assembly lube.

f16fxr4real
16th-January-2009, 08:11 PM
however, with the wagon being my primary means to get back and forth to work, I'm a little worried about reliablility. Sure, I can do whatever you want me to mechanically to an F-16, but I dont have any tools Id think Id need for a build. Although, cant you get a lot of them free (borrowed) or rent from autoparts stores now? I guess my biggest concern is making sure the low end is all toleranced correctly. I guess I could have a shop do that then bolt on the top end. You may have sparked something Aron. I did find this on Ebay, I have been getting a lot of Ebay time, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230319265577&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
almost worth it to keep what I want (the block and tranny) and part out the rest

fasteddie
16th-January-2009, 08:20 PM
Mike Blackstone, 1badnov used to work for him:eek::devil: and my old boss Ray Newton paid for Mikes house engine dyno and his bass boat.

Along with Craig Hills whole opperation!!!:eek:

VooDooII
16th-January-2009, 08:46 PM
Along with Craig Hills whole opperation!!!:eek:

Oh I forgot about that guy:eek::D yes he threw buckets of cash at Craig.

jjj5757
16th-January-2009, 11:14 PM
Just a thought, but you might want to call this shop RLP Performance, this shop is full of performance engines, he does excellent work and with the economy the way it is I know he is looking to make a deal. The owner is Ron and his work and his shop is meticulous.

RLP 530-365-5445 ask for Ron

fasteddie
17th-January-2009, 03:18 AM
Oh I forgot about that guy:eek::D yes he threw buckets of cash at Craig.

What ever happend to the Impala??

VooDooII
17th-January-2009, 03:40 AM
What ever happend to the Impala??

the black one went to Gary Heck (Korbel winery) and he sold the green turbo car but don't know what happened to it.

fasteddie
17th-January-2009, 05:21 PM
the black one went to Gary Heck (Korbel winery) and he sold the green turbo car but don't know what happened to it.

I did know Gary bought the black one but I have not seen the Spirit of St. Louis in along time! I sure hope someone changed that hood, it was awful!

VooDooII
17th-January-2009, 05:56 PM
I did know Gary bought the black one but I have not seen the Spirit of St. Louis in along time! I sure hope someone changed that hood, it was awful!

I dug the black car all steel and went 7.80's with a juiced small block, that green car was a waist of money IMO and yes that hood was ridiculous:yes:

f16fxr4real
18th-January-2009, 10:38 PM
I suppose this would be overkill?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130281087530&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Im very ignorrant to choosing components.........I havent grasped the fine art of engine building, this may be a good shortcut

6NOVA4
20th-January-2009, 06:06 AM
I used to buy all my speed parts from Motor Machine, they're in Carmichael, Ca. I used to live by there. There are a bunch of machine shops in the area that sell crate motors on craigslist. It's pretty much all 383 stroker deals with 400hp/405ftlbs tq. personally they all look like GM 383 shortblocks with a different cam and heads.

If you have a good friend that is knowledgeable about small blocks have him help you do the build. I'm guessing you're no where near the san jose bay area huh? lol I just saw a deal on a crate engine drop shipped to your door from WA and for the price its not bad comes with a 7 year warranty.

check out this thread:http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112239

here is the engine he bought:http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=235&p_catid=111&sid=1AlF2z2Cq00tAUj-59109035620.07

sounds like a good deal.

6NOVA4
20th-January-2009, 06:09 AM
Of course I will always recommend my good friends at Dave's Engine Machining in Newark, Ca (bay area) I work there part time.

f16fxr4real
20th-January-2009, 11:40 AM
I am actually from Citrus Heights so I'll have to ck out Motor Machine. That short block looks like an awesome deal though too.

6NOVA4
21st-January-2009, 07:06 PM
Speaking of Craig Hill what ever happened to him and Shawn Ferriter's alleged "worlds fastest 69 pro street camaro"? I was red had a big blown alky motor? was in HOT ROD mag?

fasteddie
22nd-January-2009, 12:18 AM
Speaking of Craig Hill what ever happened to him and Shawn Ferriter's alleged "worlds fastest 69 pro street camaro"? I was red had a big blown alky motor? was in HOT ROD mag?

Craig has a shop in Livermore and Frank Marciel has a machine shop attached to it. Frank and Shawn still build alot of motors for the roundy round guys and a ton of boat guys. The camaro was sold not long after completion to a guy that I think owned Buggy house. I saw it once or twice after it was sold but that was like 15 years ago! That car looked Bad ***** but as far as I know it never made a trip down the strip! I would like to know what happend to it also. I will have to ask Shawn next time I see him!

Donato
22nd-January-2009, 02:46 AM
Rob Ellis of R Performance is awesome, he starting up his own shop and has the experience to back it. Also reasonable prices. R Performance is in Oakley CA, east bay. He has two Novas, a 71 chevelle and a Vette 10 (S-10 with a built LT 1 and Z06 wheels) Good guy.

VooDooII
22nd-January-2009, 11:36 AM
Rob Ellis of R Performance is awesome, he starting up his own shop and has the experience to back it. Also reasonable prices. R Performance is in Oakley CA, east bay. He has two Novas, a 71 chevelle and a Vette 10 (S-10 with a built LT 1 and Z06 wheels) Good guy.

Rob is a good friend of mine, he use Lloyd's engineering for all his machine work:yes:Rob is a talent I have one of his bullet proof turbo 350's in my nova