1966 Bucket Seats [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: 1966 Bucket Seats

baysdad
6th-January-2009, 02:48 PM
Can anyone please tell me what other GM cars had the same seats as the '66 Chevy II Nova SS (buckets)?

I heard the '65 GTO did. Is this true? That's even harder to find than the Chevy II's.

I currently have some race seats in my SS and they got to go!!!!!!!

Anyone have any leads on a set of bucket seats please let me know.

DesertDeuce
6th-January-2009, 02:54 PM
GTO seats are the same but the seat tracks are different. They show up from time to time. I think dale @ novasrus.com had some chevelle seats I dont know if he still has them.

MPLS66
6th-January-2009, 09:26 PM
chevelle /gto /lemans /but meeds to be 66/67 and different tracks i think these will work

66 BADBOY
7th-January-2009, 07:16 AM
Cut and pasted from a post I put in another thread on the subject:

By "tracks are available" do you mean you are looking at aftermarkets???? If so, they WILL NOT fit right. You either need to modify a 66-72 Chevelle, GTO, El Camino, Buick, etc track to shorten the length AND height to match a 66=67 track (or just find a set of 66-67 NOVA tracks $$$$$$$)

But to answer your question....YES, the Impala buckets will work. You will need 66 Nova upholstery AS WELL AS FOAM too.

All 66 seats - metal back, no buttons....tracks varied
All 67 seats - metal back, button on side....tracks varied
All 68 seats - plastic back, button on side...racks varied
All 69-72 seats - plastic back, button in the center of back.... tracks varied.

Throughout all of the above, foam and upholstery were car specific.

The frames and springs were the same thoughout all years (except obviously the ones that had release mechanisms). I guess what I'm saying is you can swap 68 seats from one 68 car to another 68 car, and still keep originality as long as you have the proper foam and upholstery. BUT...if you don't care about originality,etc, you can still put 66 Nova foam and upholstery on any 67-72 seat and it will fit....the only problem is that the 67-72 seats have plastic backs and release mechanisms....66 seats were metal back with no release. It WILL work as long as you don't care about originality.

Bottom line is that any foam and upholstery will fit with ANY year of GM strato buckets, and tracks will need to be modified or swapped for a Nova. If you care about looking original, then all you have to do is stay within the same model year.

And also, just remember that 66-67 Nova tracks are shorter than other tracks. They are 14.5" from floor mount hole to floor mount hole front to back.....and are also shorter in height on both front and back legs. So if you find a different 66-67 seat, you will also need to find 66-67 Nova tracks or modify the ones on the seats you get.

Hope that helped!!

baysdad
13th-January-2009, 02:18 PM
OK, strato bucket seats from each year are basically the same frames and springs. To make them look original chevy II SS, all I need to do is get the proper foam and covers, right?

I looked throughout the forum so I wouldn't be bothering everyone, but I still am confused. The question is will the seat rails for the different models bolt up to the stripped down strato seat frame? Meaning, if I bought 66 chevelle bucket seats, stripped them down to frame and springs, had them redone with 66 nova foam and covers and bought rails from Classic Industries (claim same as originals) for a 66 Nova, would that work?

Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!

66 BADBOY
13th-January-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes it will work that way.....but like you said, as long as the seat tracks are the correct length.

chuckha62
13th-January-2009, 03:25 PM
OK, strato bucket seats from each year are basically the same frames and springs. To make them look original chevy II SS, all I need to do is get the proper foam and covers, right?

I looked throughout the forum so I wouldn't be bothering everyone, but I still am confused. The question is will the seat rails for the different models bolt up to the stripped down strato seat frame? Meaning, if I bought 66 chevelle bucket seats, stripped them down to frame and springs, had them redone with 66 nova foam and covers and bought rails from Classic Industries (claim same as originals) for a 66 Nova, would that work?

Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!

Depending on the seat pattern of the donor car, you may need to change the listing wire in order to align with the seams of your new covers. This is important because you need to be able to hog ring your new covers in the proper locations in order to get the creases to secure properly.

Just a thought...

66 BADBOY
13th-January-2009, 04:15 PM
Depending on the seat pattern of the donor car, you may need to change the listing wire in order to align with the seams of your new covers. This is important because you need to be able to hog ring your new covers in the proper locations in order to get the creases to secure properly.

Just a thought...

YIKES!! I never knew that!! Thanks for the info.

TomsNova
13th-January-2009, 04:36 PM
Check out this e-bay auction Number 390023218183, good luck.
Tom

Rotorbolt
13th-January-2009, 04:40 PM

Just a thought...

Yep, I was going to stress that too. I've built tons of these 60's GM bucket seats. And every model has a different listing wire pattern in the middles of the seat frames. I've had to convert and make my own wire listings just about everytime I build a set. I usually make em out of thick welding rod or coat hangers.
probably the toughest to find are the correct metal shells that go on the backs and sides. I've seen a lot of those rusted pretty bad. I havent' noticed much difference in the tracks though.
The 68 frames were kind of a transition year. some resemble the 67 style and I've seen some resemble the 69- 72 style. I'm guessing there is an early and a late 68 style.
I would look for seats in the 66-67 range. You can remove the seat lock mechanism and release button from a 67 back frame and use it as a 66 so long as you have the 66 metal back shell to use. If not, It wouldn't hurt to have the seat button unless you are going 100% original.