Bad Lower Ball joint...What will happen? [Archive] - Chevy Nova Forum

: Bad Lower Ball joint...What will happen?

batman09
10th-August-2008, 12:38 PM
My F**D Truck Has a bad lower ball joint.Nobody can get the parts for a couple of days:confused:I was wondering what would happen if I drive on it?I drive 50 miles a day.I have a bit of a shimmy over 60 miles per hour.Can I drive it safely til I get the parts?
ps anyone have any tricks for getting them out and putting them in?
Thanks bm
ps2 what exactly do ball joints do?

nova65ss
10th-August-2008, 12:49 PM
Depends on how bad they are. Ball joints connect to your steering arms and I probably wouldn't drive it that far. Take the Nova:yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_joint

batman09
10th-August-2008, 12:54 PM
One is bad....the grease pocket exploded??
bm

novajoe
10th-August-2008, 12:59 PM
If that ball joint lets go your spindle will drop and at 50mph you will have a catastrophic violent tail spin into other cars and zero control and if your on the bridge you will stop all traffic . I remember many years ago this guy Jeff Tng had a bad ball joint on his 67nova well he kept driving it and it broke on 101 north right as 280 drops on 101 he spun 4X into a guard rail we parted out that Nova way back ...Get a ride Dennis Thomas? or borrow a nova from me .

Racinfan83
10th-August-2008, 01:02 PM
If it's shimmying at 60 - it's BAD. I wouldn't drive it. If it drops out - you will have NO control over what happens next....
Not worth getting killed over......

Some of them are "press in" and some are bolted in. Been a long time since I worked on anything like that.

LeftCoast Carl
10th-August-2008, 01:36 PM
be safe batman.steering,and brakes are the ONLY thing that matters in a car.
take something else outta the batcave....the helicopter,the bat-bike,the batmobile or borrow/rent something for a few days.
leftcoast carl.

62deuce
10th-August-2008, 04:31 PM
to get the ball joints off...go and get a pickle fork

1badnov
10th-August-2008, 04:48 PM
If that ball joint lets go your spindle will drop and at 50mph you will have a catastrophic violent tail spin into other cars and zero control and if your on the bridge you will stop all traffic . I remember many years ago this guy Jeff Tng had a bad ball joint on his 67nova well he kept driving it and it broke on 101 north right as 280 drops on 101 he spun 4X into a guard rail we parted out that Nova way back ...Get a ride Dennis Thomas? or borrow a nova from me .

What about mine?
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/1BADNOV/Old%20cars/get-attachment-1aspx.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/1BADNOV/Old%20cars/get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg

veno
10th-August-2008, 05:07 PM
What about mine?

OUCH:mad::ragtop::puke:

novajoe
10th-August-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh ya I could I forget Daves 65SS!:eek::eek:

there some good evidence for you Bruce......

dave can tell you all about that road trip :rolleyes:

batman09
10th-August-2008, 05:20 PM
All done....Thanks everyone!!bm

batman09
10th-August-2008, 06:09 PM
What about mine?

:eek:Thats scary:eek::eek:

1badnov
10th-August-2008, 08:42 PM
:eek:Thats scary:eek::eek:

Should have seen it from my view:eek:

1963wagonman
11th-August-2008, 02:38 AM
My F**D Truck Has a bad lower ball joint.Nobody can get the parts for a couple of days:confused:I was wondering what would happen if I drive on it?I drive 50 miles a day.I have a bit of a shimmy over 60 miles per hour.Can I drive it safely til I get the parts?
ps anyone have any tricks for getting them out and putting them in?
Thanks bm
ps2 what exactly do ball joints do?

how bad is it? it must be pretty bad if you noticed something wrong...

you dont want to find out what my happen so just get it fixed......

Mike Goble
11th-August-2008, 07:24 AM
Why do we have three sets of the same two pictures? The first set wasn't good enough?

batman09
11th-August-2008, 08:17 AM
Why do we have three sets of the same two pictures? The first set wasn't good enough?Whats it to you?Its not your forum?Maybe I/we like seeing the picture 3 times:confused:bm

Mike Goble
11th-August-2008, 09:02 AM
What's it to me? It's really nothing to me, except is really makes the thread a lot longer than it has to be and adds nothing. I'm sure that there are bandwidth issues having to access and display the pictures several times in succession. There are probably 56K guys having their second cup of coffee waiting for the pics to load.

The rupture of the grease boot on the ball joint isn't the sign of an impending catastrophic failure, just that you need to get it fixed. I would be very comfortable driving the truck 50 miles while waiting for parts. If you have a shimmy at 60 mph, keep it at 55...

nova65ss
11th-August-2008, 09:32 AM
Why do we have three sets of the same two pictures? The first set wasn't good enough?

I'm with you Mike it drives me crazy when they quote the pic several times. Really unnecessary and takes longer to scroll through the post. I think we have had this discussion before as well.

1badnov
11th-August-2008, 10:44 AM
How about a different angle?:rolleyes: Is that better?:rolleyes:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/1BADNOV/Old%20cars/get-attachment-7aspx.jpg

itslow
11th-August-2008, 11:05 AM
...makes the thread a lot longer than it has to be and adds nothing. I'm sure that there are bandwidth issues having to access and display the pictures several times in succession...

Annoying - indeed. Quote the text, delete the IMG tags.

Bandwidth issues - not really. The browser only downloads it once. Subsequent images are loaded from its cache, unless the cache is set to some ridiculously low value or disabled.

Nobody can get a ball joint for a Ford truck for a couple of days? I find that tough to believe. How many parts shops have you tried?

THX138
11th-August-2008, 11:08 AM
Should have seen it from my view:eek:

Did that stain ever come off the seat:eek:

batman09
11th-August-2008, 03:18 PM
What's it to me? It's really nothing to me, except is really makes the thread a lot longer than it has to be and adds nothing. I'm sure that there are bandwidth issues having to access and display the pictures several times in succession. There are probably 56K guys having their second cup of coffee waiting for the pics to load.

The rupture of the grease boot on the ball joint isn't the sign of an impending catastrophic failure, just that you need to get it fixed. I would be very comfortable driving the truck 50 miles while waiting for parts. If you have a shimmy at 60 mph, keep it at 55...Sorry Mike..I was feeling alittle froggy at 4am:eek:Just to let everyone know(I already posted this)I'm done...I had to drive to a different town to get the part...start to finish...2 hours...easy to do.bm

Mike Goble
11th-August-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry Mike..I was feeling alittle froggy at 4am:eek:

That'll get your tadpole excited....

nova65ss
11th-August-2008, 06:57 PM
How about a different angle?:rolleyes: Is that better?:rolleyes:

Actually it is much better! I have a totally differnet view of the situation. Not the same one over and over again.

Note the proper use of removing the image text in my quote.:rolleyes::):devil: